Broken Steel not starting

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Elite4197

Broken Steel not starting

Post by Elite4197 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:41 am

As the name states, its not starting. I start the purifier myself(I dont send companions in) and go through the slides just for it to kick me back to the main menu. I get the option only to continue my last save. I am using no race mods whatsoever.
Here's my load order
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm
YUPTTW.esm
ISControl.esm
PerkEveryLevel.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
WMX-POPMerged.esp
w-ttw-wmx.esp
TTWReputaions.esm
TTW New Vegas Speech Checks.esm
TTW New Vegas Speech Checks - TTW Reputations Patch.esm
JustVanillaSprint.esp
RebuildTheCapital.esm
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
360Movement.esp
Simple Natural Weathers for TTW.esp
DNWeathers.esp

If anyone could please help, that'd be great. I've put 38 hours into this playthrough alone and haven't even touch the New Vegas side of it.

Risewild

Re: Broken Steel not starting

Post by Risewild » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am

Are you playing on Hardcore mode?
If you are playing on Hardcore, then you die if you turn on the Purifier yourself. In Hardcore the original Fallout 3 ending was restored.

If you want to continue playing, then you have to send a companion or Sarah to activate the purifier, or you can turn off Hardcore mode until Broken Steel starts.
Signature:

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:36 am

The sole reason to turn off Hardcore mod in Both games combined.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:35 pm

Well, we like to restore cut content that makes sense to be restored. And Since "Hardcore" is supposed to be hardcore, it was a perfect choice. :lol:

When I have some time I will add this important information to our FAQ. Hopefully, I will be able to do it in the next few days.
Signature:

Elite4197

Post by Elite4197 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:18 pm

Noooo shit? Hardcore does that? Well I guess I'll have to disable it to move on then. Appreciate the speedy reply guys.

PoundCat

Post by PoundCat » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 am

Risewild wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am
If you are playing on Hardcore, then you die if you turn on the Purifier yourself. In Hardcore the original Fallout 3 ending was restored.

If you want to continue playing, then you have to send a companion or Sarah to activate the purifier, or you can turn off Hardcore mode until Broken Steel starts.
For me, there was no credits or anything after the cutscene. Game just crashed. (Even after i disabled every mod that wasn't TTW or JIP) I spent about an hour trying to figure out what the heck was wrong.

Is there possibly a way for the player to learn this information in game so they dont assume its a mod conflict?

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:26 am

PoundCat wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 am
Risewild wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am

For me, there was no credits or anything after the cutscene. Game just crashed. (Even after i disabled every mod that wasn't TTW or JIP) I spent about an hour trying to figure out what the heck was wrong.

Is there possibly a way for the player to learn this information in game so they dont assume its a mod conflict?
If it just crashed, then it's not normal and it's possibly a mod conflict.
Disabling mods usually works, but it might not work if whatever caused the problem is baked in the save file. Then it's in the save file permanently and will happen even with the offending mod(s) disabled.

If it happened only while Hardcore mode was active, then my guess is that something edited the end of the game and conflicted with the original FO3's ending, leading it to crash when trying to start the restored ending credits (probably expects the Broken Steel ending, and since that one's not starting, it will crash).

Some reasons for this to happen are if there's any mod for FO3 that wasn't converted for TTW 3.3 properly, a mod made for older TTW versions that wasn't updated properly or a mod made for TTW 3.3 that the author didn't notice the restored FO3 ending and only relies on the Broken Steel ending instead (since 3.3 now has this ending restored, mods that do something at FO3's ending will have to account for the restored ending too, for example).
Signature:

Derranged

Post by Derranged » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:47 am

PoundCat wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:18 am

I'm running into the same issue. I originally found this thread as I had been playing in HC and was confused when sent back to the main menu after finishing up project purity. After disabling HC mode and going through the ending slideshow, it momentarily shows the pause screen and closes/crashes. I've tried disabling all other mods to no avail.

Here's my active mod list, if there's anything similar between our lists maybe we can narrow it down. Sadly as it crashes with all mods disabled it may have broken our saves :(
SpoilerShow
"Tale of Two Wastelands"
"Stewie Tweaks"
"UIO - User Interface Organizer"
"OneTweak"
"ISControl"
"Hit's Anims - Season 1"
"Hit's Anims - Season 2"
"Hit - Automatic Rifle Anim Set"
"Hit - .45 Auto SMG Anim Set"
"Simplified WRP"
"Hit - 9mm SMG Anim Set"
"Desert Natural Weathers TTW 3.5"
"Climate Control"
"Simple Interior Lighting Overhaul"
"Night Sky Tweaks (Plugin)"
"Lucky 38 Lights Redone"
"Better Strip View"
"ROOG"
"BLEEDLESS"
"Better Damage Multipliers"
"The Mod Configuration Menu"
"Diagonal Movement"
"NV Compatibility Skeleton"
"360 Movement"

Derranged

Post by Derranged » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:38 am

My other post is still waiting for moderator approval but thought I'd post this anyway. I believe I found the fix for the non-HC crash for my case and hopefully others. NVTF (New Vegas Tick Fix) was causing the crash for me, just renamed its file extension to stop it from functioning and it worked. Hope this helps someone else.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:48 pm

Derranged wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:38 am
My other post is still waiting for moderator approval but thought I'd post this anyway. I believe I found the fix for the non-HC crash for my case and hopefully others. NVTF (New Vegas Tick Fix) was causing the crash for me, just renamed its file extension to stop it from functioning and it worked. Hope this helps someone else.
You might try changing some of the settings inside the NVTF ini file and see if you can't narrow that down a bit more. Just switching it off altogether is a no go for many here.