NVSE does not load ttw_nvse.dll

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Someonefromsomewhere

NVSE does not load ttw_nvse.dll

Post by Someonefromsomewhere » Sat May 23, 2020 3:14 pm

Hello!

I have performed clean install of the operatirng system, FNV, F3, MO2, and TTW, following GamerPoets guide and the FAQ for v. 3.2.

TTW was installed in a separate folder, updated to 3.2.1 and 3.2.2, then packed into zip archive, and installed via MO2. After that, most recent (v. 55.41) JIP LN plugin was installed via MO2.

Game started via MO2 using FalloutNV.exe, as FAQ states that FalloutNV.exe is patched to load NVSE automatically. Game crashed after slides at the moment menu had to appear. Using an advice from FAQ (checking for UI mods, or using UIO) did nothing. NVAC, however, allowed to load main menu. It was a TTW main menu screen, so it could not be a MO2 malfunction, as it successfully created virtual file system.

After choosing "New Game", FNV intro movie was played, then loading screen appeared. After that F3 intro played, and the game started in Doc Mithell's house in Mojave.

It seems that ttw_nvse.dll did not work properly. It is also proven by .log files. According to .log files NVSE started successfully, JIP LN too, but ttw_nvse.log was created, but ended up empty, so I concluded that it is something with ttw_nvse.dll.

After that I checked other NVSE plugins, all installed via MO2. TickFix and One Tweak worked fine, but MCM failed.

In conclusion, it seemed that NVSE loads some .dll's, but fails to do that with others.

To clarify, I have reinstalled Steam, FNV, TTW, and MO2 multuple times on different drives, launched game via nvse_loader.exe, but nothing helped. However, I did not change any mod configuration fily malually. I have also tried to run game as admin, or install it under the admin account, rather then limited one. Drivers are up to date. Serching for information in the Internet did not bear any fruit.

I really loved playing TTW on my old laptop, and appreciated all the great effort the team has put into this project. So thanks in advence for any advice or thought on the matter!

System specs:
SpoilerShow
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600;
RAM: 2×8GB@2400 MHz;
OS: Windows 10 LTSC v. 1809 with security tweaks from that guide: https://fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1809.frag

jlf65

Re: NVSE does not load ttw_nvse.dll

Post by jlf65 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 am

Some people have trouble getting MO to override nvse plugins. You might try copying the latest jipln right over top the ones with TTW. I also had trouble getting TTW to run from the main exe - I run it by running nvse. The exe is patched, but it still doesn't work for me unless I run it the normal way by launching via nvse. You might try those two things and see if it helps you.

Someonefromsomewhere

Post by Someonefromsomewhere » Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 am

Thank you for those suggestions!

I copyed JIP LN into TTW folder, overwriting existing file, but, alas, it did not work: still starting in Mojave after FNV and F3 intoductions. Loading via nvse_loader.exe did not work, either. I have also tryed to put NVSE plugins into actual game folder to no result.

But I have also noticed that there are no pop-ups for the pre-order packs. I do not know, whether they are controlled by ttw_nvse or Tale of Two Wastelands.esm, but it seems that TTW is partially working, and maybe something is wrong with script extender's plugins.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Oh, the other thing I had to do was copy the TTW changed ini files into the MO2 profile. MO2 can be set to use global ini files, or per-profile ini files. Some people also have their ini files not changed by the installer (probably a permissions issue), so the FAQ here tells you what changed need to be done to get it working if you need to change the ini files by hand. Check that the ini files you're using are set as the FAQ directs.

Someonefromsomewhere

Post by Someonefromsomewhere » Sun May 24, 2020 4:06 pm

Thank you for your reply!

I had issues with ini files the first time I tryed to launch clean FNV, because Windows did not allow any application to access Documents folder, including FNV. So I moved default location of that folder to a different hard drive, and FNV actually managed to change and save its ini files.

During the installation of TTW it did not create a fallout_custom.ini under my account, but under administrator one, so I copyed all changes to both manually created fallout_custom.ini in Documents folder and fallout_custom.ini in MO2 profile folder. Then I tryed to use both default and profile-specific ini files to the same effect.

As you said, I checked and double-checked all ini changes, and their contents is exactly the same as FAQ states. As I can tell by FPS counter in Steam overlay, changes in fallout_custom.ini in MO2 do work (I have set iPresentInterval to 0). To clarify, I launched game both with and without overlay. Nothing worked.

ttw_nvse.dll actually creates .log file in the game install folder every time I start a game, but it is empty. Should it be empty, if TTW works properly? In-game console shows that NVSE and JIP LN work well (they display their versions correctly).

I have also tryed to install TTW and other mods direcly into FNV folder, but the outcome was the same.

Releasefast version of NVSE did not help, too.

As far as I can tell, it is either ttw_nvse.dll is not working properly, NVSE is not loading all .dll plugins, or Windows is somehow blocking some particular DLLs (I shall mention that I do not have anti-virus software, and Windows Defender is removed).

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 pm

Sounds like a permissions issue. FNV/TTW really needs to be run as administrator. As to log files, there should be a ttw_nvse.log0 file with "NVSE: 16D00000" in it, and a ttw_nvse.log file with a list of all the plugins. You should also have a jip_ln_nvse.log file with something like this
NVSE version: 5.14
JIP LN version: 55.41
Base address: 16F80000

> JIP hooks initialized successfully.
> LN hooks initialized successfully.
> Game patches initialized successfully.
> Command patches initialized successfully.
Note: to run FO3/FNV/TTW/whatever as administrator through MO2, MO2 needs to be run as administrator.

Someonefromsomewhere

Post by Someonefromsomewhere » Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Thank you!

I will try this as soon as possible!

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 pm

You'll have to set it as a trusted application in order for it to write to the documents folder. Windows bullshit with 10 never ends.