Crashing on startup

General help and troubleshooting.
Lyndi

Re: Crashing on startup

Post by Lyndi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 pm

The launcher? Are you trying to launch the game via the fallout launcher instead of just using FalloutNV.exe through MO2? If so then that's your problem.

Winchy

Post by Winchy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:37 pm

I figured out my problem and it was MO2, after installing everything with FOMM it worked instantly, but with MO2 no matter what i used to start the game it didnt work.

Winchy

A new problem

Post by Winchy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pm

However now that i've gotten in i wanted to make sure that it works without crashing etc, but ofc it doesn't after i arrive in Vegas do the cutscene and the machine for the doc, as soon as Mitchell gives me my items back it crashes, if i try to leave the house as soon as i get it, it crashes, but roaming in the house without the items it wont crash ._.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:39 pm

As to getting it to work in MO2, which is recommended over FOMM, what I did was:

Install TTW to a separate folder (not the FONV folder), along with both updates (don't forget both updates!).
Archive that folder using 7-zip.
Setup MO2 to run FONV - make sure that works.
Install the archive of TTW using MO2 like it's a normal FONV mod.
Update the JIPLN inside the TTW mod folder (it will be in the nvse folder inside the TTW folder).
Install NVAC as a normal mod in MO2.
Set MO2 to launch nvse (there's a setting to specially launch Tale of Two Wastelands, but it doesn't work for me - only launching nvse works for me).

Make sure that's working (it does for me), then start adding mods (I've currently got 131 plugins active).

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Winchy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:37 pm
I figured out my problem and it was MO2, after installing everything with FOMM it worked instantly, but with MO2 no matter what i used to start the game it didnt work.
You need to go through some tutorials about how MO2 actually works. It's obvious you aren't quite getting.
Winchy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:32 pm
As to getting it to work in MO2, which is recommended over FOMM, what I did was:
As you said here you are looking for the mods in the launchers data list. You shouldn't be using the launcher for anything period. MO2 shows what mods you have installed, which are activated, which esp/esm's are active, and allows you to adjust load order within the manager itself. Nothing is altered in the games data folder. That's the whole point of using MO2. After you get the mods you want active within MO2 and correctly ordered in MO2 you will have to launch the game through FalloutNV.exe using the run button within MO2. All your saves and ini files can also be managed within MO2.

You need to completely scrap any other old and broken mod managers like FOMM, NMM, or using the Fallout Launcher (which was never a good idea.)

Winchy

Post by Winchy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Lyndi wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Winchy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:37 pm
You need to go through some tutorials about how MO2 actually works. It's obvious you aren't quite getting.
Winchy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:32 pm
As you said here you are looking for the mods in the launchers data list. You shouldn't be using the launcher for anything period. MO2 shows what mods you have installed, which are activated, which esp/esm's are active, and allows you to adjust load order within the manager itself. Nothing is altered in the games data folder. That's the whole point of using MO2. After you get the mods you want active within MO2 and correctly ordered in MO2 you will have to launch the game through FalloutNV.exe using the run button within MO2. All your saves and ini files can also be managed within MO2.

You need to completely scrap any other old and broken mod managers like FOMM, NMM, or using the Fallout Launcher (which was never a good idea.)
I know how MO2 works and i've used it in the past quite a lot but installing TTW broke MO2 completely for me which is why i had to reinstall TTW 6 times because i didn't know it was MO2 breaking the mod for me, and what i meant by the launcher was that when you install TTW, and you launch the game from steam it opens your launcher before you can play, and in that launcher if you opened DATA it would only show the base game stuff, and not stuff you had in MO2, however with FOMM you could see everything in the DATA because FOMM is working correctly for me but like i said MO2 isnt. And also you don't have to use NVSE inside MO2 or FOMM to play the game, you can use the launcher in Steam and it still works perfectly fine.
So my point was, my MO2 was broken and it didn't install any mods nor did it show the "so to speak "installed" mods" in the DATA inside a launcher, But FOMM instead did work and did show the installed mods in DATA in the Launcher of the game.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm

You aren't trying to run the installer from inside MO2 are you? You shouldn't do that. You run the installer from the desktop like a normal app, but be sure to run it as administrator, and turn off the virus checking while it runs since it manipulates thousands of files. Like I said, the easiest way to deal with it is to point the installer to a temporary (empty) folder to install to. Then once the installer is done, archive that folder, THEN run MO2 set for FONV and install the archive you just made as if it were any other NV mod from nexus. Adjust the load order using MO2 to be as shown in the install instructions. Copy the ini files the installer made from the game doc folder to the profile in MO2. Not having the edited ini files in MO2's profile folder will cause the game to crash at start. If you aren't sure about the ini files, check the instructions on the install page - it gives you the changes to make in case you need to do it by hand for some reason.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am

So my point was, my MO2 was broken and it didn't install any mods nor did it show the "so to speak "installed" mods" in the DATA inside a launcher, But FOMM instead did work and did show the installed mods in DATA in the Launcher of the game.
Mods installed through MO2 won't show in the game launcher and won't show in the games Data folder. That isn't how MO2 works. FOMM and older programs like NMM dump everything in the game data folder. MO2 doesn't work like that. It keeps the data folder clean and loads all active mods using a VFS on startup.

MO2 doesn't "break" the mod. People who don't know how MO2 works break the mod.

Winchy

Post by Winchy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Lyndi wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am
Mods installed through MO2 won't show in the game launcher and won't show in the games Data folder. That isn't how MO2 works. FOMM and older programs like NMM dump everything in the game data folder. MO2 doesn't work like that. It keeps the data folder clean and loads all active mods using a VFS on startup.

MO2 doesn't "break" the mod. People who don't know how MO2 works break the mod.
Before installing TTW i used MO2 and installing mods did make those mods show up in the launcher data files, so i don't know what to tell you other than for me it did show them in the launcher, and installing TTW, it didn't show anything in the launcher anymore and it completely broke for me.
But anyways i got it working finally and have been enjoying TTW alot :P