TTW 3.2 bass dll load errors on run

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
PfhorEver

TTW 3.2 bass dll load errors on run

Post by PfhorEver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Running "TTW Install.exe" from 3.2 release and selecting install throws a general windows "BASS Init error" dialog. Installation cannot proceed from this point.

I have tried:
- Running the executable with the "-NoOggEnc2" parameter but this will also not work. It appears that the bass library will attempt to load regardless if ogg encoding is allowed or not.
- Downloaded several times. SHA256 checksums match. All files extracted successfully.
- Running exe from CLI (cd set to TTW dir) but no stdout or stderr are reported to console.
- Installing v2.9.4b. Works as expected.

Do you have any verbose logging written into the source code? Is source code available so that I can try compiling myself?

BTW, TTW is a great TC. I can't wait to see how 3.2 looks.

pintocat

Re: TTW 3.2 bass dll load errors on run

Post by pintocat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 pm

There is still some encoding that is done even without the ogg encoding option, including "Transcodes sound effects from .ogg to .wav so they work".

Make sure you have all files present. Extract from archive, don't run from archive.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .01.38.png

PfhorEver

Post by PfhorEver » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 am

pintocat wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:39 pm
There is still some encoding that is done even without the ogg encoding option, including "Transcodes sound effects from .ogg to .wav so they work".

Make sure you have all files present. Extract from archive, don't run from archive.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... .01.38.png
Nothing is being ran inside an archive per my post. Checksums match per my post therefore files are not missing from the downloaded content. Even when extracted the file lists match your screenshot which rules out AV quarantining file(s) on extraction.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 am

will need zilav to help troubleshoot this

nonlinear

Post by nonlinear » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm seeing the same issue: "BASS Init error". I have Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate. No mods. US English.

To attempt with a clean slate, I uninstalled Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas via Steam, then reinstalled. I ran the launcher once for each game, then exited the launcher.

I unzipped TTW and ran "TTW Install.exe". I entered the three paths, then clicked "Install". That is when the "BASS Init error" dialog shows up.

Razbors

Post by Razbors » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 pm

nonlinear wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:43 pm
I'm seeing the same issue: "BASS Init error". I have Fallout 3 GOTY and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate. No mods. US English.

To attempt with a clean slate, I uninstalled Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas via Steam, then reinstalled. I ran the launcher once for each game, then exited the launcher.

I unzipped TTW and ran "TTW Install.exe". I entered the three paths, then clicked "Install". That is when the "BASS Init error" dialog shows up.
Idk if you're gonna check back to see this. I had this error too, I found a fix though. Common suggestions were make an exception in your firewall, run installer in admin priv, have your game locations and your installer file on the same drive. My fix was when I noticed that there was no sound in game while I was testing Fallout 3. There was menu music but none in intro or gameplay. I had conflicting audio drivers from Realktek/AMD, and Nvidia from my old rig (some where hidden, check the view drop down at the top of devices manager). And restart your PC after, make sure the drivers you are using are current too. Worked after that for me.

Net_zero

Post by Net_zero » Fri May 15, 2020 3:25 am

I've been a huge Fallout fan for a long time, so when I stumbled across Tales of Two Wastelands I was a bit excited. However, after doing a full clean install of both FO3 and FNV, troubleshooting FO3 compatibility with Windows 10 Pro, re-evaluating, re-installing, re-launching and re-everything in the thin/limited troubleshooting guides I could find, I was about to give up.

Fundamentally I couldn't get past "BASS Init Error". As it alludes to above this, there appears to have been a conflict with audio driver/managers. I dug into my audio drivers, made sure everything was up to date, whitelisted the program and set compatibility, ran as an administrator. None of this worked; See "BASS Init Error".

As a Last Hurrah I started looking at my computer programs looking for conflicts. I have an MSI GS63VR I7-6700HQ, Nvidia 1060 6GB, etc... One of the things I like about MSI they have sensible preloaded apps for the most part and they seem to work pretty well. HOWEVER, in this case it appears that my Nahimic 2 sound management, which came pre-installed, was conflicting with whatever the 3.2 TTW installer is trying to do with the audio files.

I shut down Nahimic, tried launching one more time, and Voila! TTW is processing as I write this.

I know it's a long story, but I hope it helps!

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Fri May 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Thank you for sharing you solution! It's much appreciated. :)

Net_zero

Post by Net_zero » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 pm

As an update, it seems Nahimic 2 simply does not play well with either Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas. I have got TTW to run and not be glitchy/crashy (NVAC, ENB large textures, NVSR all seem to be working fine), but the game and Nahimic running at the same time causes a weird little problem.

Basically if Nahimic is running and I launch the game I can get to the main menu just fine. Where the problem occurs is either with starting a new game or loading a save. In either case the load screen comes up fine for about 5 to 10 seconds... Then massive lagginess occurs, the inputs get very nonresponsive and the screen is either black or paging very badly.

Therefore I recommend if you are having issues with TTW or FO3/FNV stutter and lag, start looking at Nahimic or similar software and disable it, this seems to work well.

Good luck and happy wanderings!

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Wed May 20, 2020 11:10 pm

Thank you again.

Overlay software is known have problems with NV.