Is Tale of Two Wastelands (mod) good enough for a first play through?

General mod discussion and requests.
trilokmeia9

Is Tale of Two Wastelands (mod) good enough for a first play through?

Post by trilokmeia9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi! Well i completed Fallout 3 (platinumed it in fact!) on my old PS3 when it first released. I was never able to get into New Vegas, even though everyone says its better. I always got up to the part where theres a burning town or something? About an hour or two from the start before i would always get bored and stop.

To herald in Fallout 4, i wanted to replay Fallout 3 + DLC and give New Vegas + DLC a proper, full chance. I have both of the full collections of the games (the games + DLC) on steam so TTW would work but, i was wondering if its actually playable enough for someone to play through all of FO3, then move onto New Vegas without it changing too much or ruining someones first experience.

I'e read some of the FAQ and it says it doeesnt make NV any easier, although im not sure how, since you'd be starting it with a decently leveled FO3 character, right? I also know that any other mods i want would have to be TTW compatible. Does it handle the DLC well?

I really like the idea of TTW but i need advice form people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do :P Any help would be awesome!

subtledoctor

Re: Is Tale of Two Wastelands (mod) good enough for a first play through?

Post by subtledoctor » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:06 pm

My solution:
1) Use an slow-levelling/XP-reduction mod

2) Do a few things around Megaton - do the Wasteland Survival Guide and grab a few of the closest, easiest bobbleheads. You might end up at level 4-8.

3) Go to NV; save the game.

4) Load a save in DC and play the whole game.

5) Instead of traveling to NV at high level, load that save in NV and play it from a low level; say the level reduction is the result of the bullet to your brain.

Balance is preserved everywhere, but you get FO3 with the NV/TTW engine and you get the combined narrative.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Or you can do everything in FO3 and go to the Mojave at level 30+ and curb stomp the early game... go straight to the quarry and fight the death claws... go straight to OWB and have fun... that sort of thing. It's one of the nice things about TTW - you have a LOT of leeway in how you play the full game. Personally, I like going to the Mojave at level 30+. 8-)

Himself

Post by Himself » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods ... escription

Just use that for a middle-ground solution. The mods concept/NAME is so great that should be a core part of TTW ^^
It is a cruel joke that man was born with more intent than life.