Classic Fallout-Style World Map?

General mod discussion and requests.
FhexSans

Classic Fallout-Style World Map?

Post by FhexSans » Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm

As we all know, TTW effectively bridges the East Coast of the United States in the Capital to the West Coast in the Mojave. Currently, they're linked by a train which takes you between the two areas in a way that allows for it to be lore-friendly. However, it doesn't give you as much of a "journey," so to speak, between the two. I've always wanted my trip between the Capital and the Mojave to be longer, more adventurious, and above all more difficult. I have an idea to maybe make the journey a bit more like it, but I don't really have the coding experience to make it possible. But, I reckon it's better to come out with my idea in case someone might actually like it instead of letting it rot in my head with very little chance of ever seeing the light of day. So, I come to you guys to see what your thoughts are about it.

Essentially, the idea is to remove the invisible border walls in FO3 entirely and open up the roads leading out of NV and instead allow the player to enter a Fallout 1/2 style world map, which would allow you to roam America in order to get between the two main areas, the Capital and the Mojave.

Just like in Fallout 1 and 2, there could be random encounters which would take you out of the World Map and place you on a piece of land either picked from different custom-made exterior worlds (which could be chosen depending on what area of America one is in, to fit the biome) or to a specific one depending on how "unique" the encounter is. For example, one that deals with a generic East Coast Enclave patrol or some other enemy might dump you on a randomly chosen piece of land. However, one that deals with something unique, like the Cafe of Broken Dreams from Fallout 2 or a random encounter cave would throw you on a unique piece of land for that and that only.

Of course, even with random encounters, a world map would still be boring without places to visit. My idea would be to possibly take out certain DLC locations from their areas in the Mojave and the Capital and instead place them where they would actually be located in the world (e.g. Old World Blues could be placed where the Big Empty actually is (or you could possibly just happen upon the satellite in a random encounter), Honest Hearts could be in Utah where Zion is located, Point Lookout on the southern tip of Maryland where Point Lookout State Park is located, etc). Also, it could be possible to integrate other modded locations into the world map (e.g. Alton, IL and Beyond Boulder Dome). Lastly, anyone who wants to could mod their own unique locations, big and small, into the map (or perhaps even as random encounters, if they would like). This would allow for a long journey with plenty of different places to explore and things to find.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

sesom

If you want to see a classic

Post by sesom » Sat May 18, 2013 7:59 pm

If you want to see a classic map in the new engine here a little glimpse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtPQpoV6IV0

Your idea is tempting bad but a horrible amount of work. It's like a total conversion and a lot of managment that you don't break original quests.

rbroab

IIrc, there was talk at one

Post by rbroab » Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm

IIrc, there was talk at one point of putting a few stops between DC and the Mojave. That was a while back, and haven't heard much sense. I can't speak for them, but I think the team would like to do something along those lines eventually. For now, they're efforts are mainly being pointed toward updating TTW. Bug fixes, stability, moving on from alpha, etc.

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

Computerrock1

@Sesom, the fact that you

Post by Computerrock1 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:15 pm

@Sesom, the fact that you were able to make any form of 3d classic FO1 map is extremly impressive... Can't wait for the release of FO1 for FNV!

More on topic, hopefully the team will be exiting the alpha stage in the oncoming weeks and they can start spearheading the more fun aspects of TTW!

Mama Stankum

Computerrock1 wrote:

Post by Mama Stankum » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 am

[quote=Computerrock1]

@Sesom, the fact that you were able to make any form of 3d classic FO1 map is extremly impressive... Can't wait for the release of FO1 for FNV!

More on topic, hopefully the team will be exiting the alpha stage in the oncoming weeks and they can start spearheading the more fun aspects of TTW!

[/quote]

Is it worth starting any major modding projects now or better to wait until TTW exits alpha, to wait and see what changes the team has made?

rbroab

Well Mama Stankum, if you're

Post by rbroab » Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 am

Well Mama Stankum, if you're working on a mod for TTW, then you have some things to think about.

the upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0 was a complete rebuild. A lot of functioning mods needed some tweaking. I can't say for sure if the next big update will be another complete rebuild or just another 2.xxx

That said, go ahead and start working on your TTW mod project. 2.0 has proven to be very stable. And if TTW does start from the ground up, I'm sure the team would love to help convert it. We love TTW mods around here and are happy to lend hands to move them along.

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

Risewild

^ Couldn't agree more with

Post by Risewild » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 am

^ Couldn't agree more with Rbroab there . Although I think TTW will not see another major rebuild like from 1.4 to 2.0 for a long time (and maybe ever), the impression I get from this version 2.+ is that it is the best possible, but I am not the best person to talk about it.

Also there is a mod competition going on where any TTW mod can win prizes if they get in the first couple places so start mod making .

Here is the link to the page with the mod competition rules and info:

http://www.taleoftwowastelands.com/

(It's actually the Home page of the site)

JaxFirehart

Never say never, but I don't

Post by JaxFirehart » Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 am

Never say never, but I don't expect to need any more rebuilds after 2.0

Alpha means that TTW is still in a state of flux. New things are being added and removed. Nothing is really unstable, code wise, but if you start a major project, be prepared to update it constantly as TTW goes through its phases.

MrMedicinal

Maybe instead of traveling

Post by MrMedicinal » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Maybe instead of traveling straight from CW to NV there could be a similar encounter setup like Fallout 1 and 2 for the train itself, where the player is forced to stop the train (in small cells) before actually reaching NV, or CW to deal with various situations. Like for example a blockade of un-exploaded cars on the tracks, and (raiders or super mutants etc.) waiting for an ambush.

Still sounds like a lot of work, but it would be pretty cool to see .

I'm not that smart, take what i say with a grain of salt

TJ

Just someone adding in some

Post by TJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Just someone adding in some stops for the train like Medicinal said would be cool. Chuck has said he wants to do it, but Chuck has several HUGE mods (DCInt, NVInt, <Merge those for TTWInt, and Playerhomes on top of TTW itself) so he may not get to it any time soon (almost forgot gambling in DC.)

My project Dash is on Kickstarter!