FOMM/ PSMM/ NMM information gathering

General mod discussion and requests.
TJ

FOMM/ PSMM/ NMM information gathering

Post by TJ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm going to be using this thread as a general catch all on info related to Mod Managers. This is being done in the case that I or someone else decides to build a TTW specific, or just generally better Mod Manager. FOMM is fantastic but dated, NMM takes too damn long to load, and PrideSlayer's version of FOMM/ PSMM, while greatly improved, lacks some basic function- namely the ability to update it's BOSS list. Anybody interested helping gather information, or working on this project in general, feel free to edit this post as needed.

First thing's first:

[collapsed title=Making current versions of FOMM large address aware]

[quote=tjmidnight420]To flip the switch you need CFF explorer. Install, then right click FOMM.exe and click open with CFF. Under NT headers you'll see the option File Header. Click that, then on the right it'll display some info, the last of which being Characteristics with a Click Here in the last box. Click that and a box will pop up with a bunch of different check boxes. Check the box next to App Can Handle >2gb Address Space. Click OK, File> Save> Overwrite original .exe and you now have a 64 bit FOMM. [/quote]

This pretty much assures FOMM doesn't run out of memory attempting to install TTW. In my tests doing this eliminated the crash some of us were having. [/collapsed]

Next up is where to get the source:

[collapsed title=Mod Manager source repos]

FOMM           PSMM/ FOMM .14    (Prideslayer's Change'log')            NMM

Loverslab (Prideslayer's 'home' forum) is an adult site, kiddies ask your parent's permission.

[/collapsed]

Finally (for now) lets cover licensing/ modification/ permissions. The original FOMM and NMM are both under the GNU-GPL v2 license. PSMM falls under GNU-GPL v3.

Anything I'm missing? Anything else that should be covered? Attached is a (redundant) link for a LAA FOMM .13.21, just so it's in the same place as all this info. Felt the 2.3 thread was not the place for it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My project Dash is on Kickstarter!

WizardOfAtlantis

Great idea. A new mod manager

Post by WizardOfAtlantis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Great idea. A new mod manager would be fantastic.

I'm building up my game again, and was initially trying to use Tannin's Mod Organizer, which I recently used with great success for Skyrim. It can be installed into any Beth game folder for use and has some really neat functionality (a virtual mod directory so the actual data folder doesn't get cluttered, the ability to use third party programs through it, and an extremely-fast loading and unloading of mods once they're virtually installed, basically click on and off, it remembers load orders under different profiles) BUT I ran into one great caveat: hud mods simply can't be loaded through it as MO's virtual directory can't read already-installed mods like Unified HUD has to be able to do, and firing up FOMM through Mod Organizer just doesn't work (although I had no problems with Wrye Bash, BOSS, game loaders, even Automatic Variants and ReProccers).

Just thought I would mention it. In all, a great new mod manager, with wonderful new features, but with an Achilles heel for anyone who hasn't tried it yet in Fallout-related games.

TJ

Just switched to MO last

Post by TJ » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Just switched to MO last night actually. Still have/ use FOMM for it's unique functionality, but the features MO brings to the table are just too good to pass on. Not being able to load HUD mods are a minor niggle really, and one easily rectified if you load your HUD related mods through FOMM then do the rest with MO. The ease of which it enables you to deal with other mods (especially ones that have issues, or ones that need merging) is amazing. Not really for the beginner, but for the advanced user it brings things to the table no other manager does.

WizardOfAtlantis

Which Mod Organizer version

Post by WizardOfAtlantis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Which Mod Organizer version are you using? The 12_9 or the Beta 99_6? 

Does MO recognize the mods installed through the regular/non-virtualized FOMM, then? I ask because of having hud-related mods includes PN, which means then that WMXUE patches for example have to be able to reference/see the PN plugins to work, don't they?

edit: well, the beta version sees the plugins...maybe I will give MO a try, then. I was kind of turned off by the whole hud-related thing, but maybe I'll use both managers this way, then.

edit2: come to think of it, MO's quick access to the BOSS Userlist Manager should come in handy when managing TTW load orders...yes

TJ

Yeah if you set your external

Post by TJ » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah if you set your external tools up to operate through MO's interface, (99, btw) it hooks into them and monitors for changes made... set FOMM this way and you should be good to go (haven't tested this yet, but BOSS, wyre, and Edit changes all work that way)

WizardOfAtlantis

I set up FOMM through MO, and

Post by WizardOfAtlantis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 pm

I set up FOMM through MO, and got it to open, but it wouldn't install the hud mods as I was hoping it would. Didn't try it to see if it would install normal mods, though.

I'm installing mods for some playing these days. So far, I've installed through the regular FOMM all the hud-related mods (PN, Extra Options, oHud et al), and I've installed the latest TTW 2.32 that way, too, as Mod Organizer wouldn't/couldn't install the 10gb rar. Nomral FOMM had no problem with the scripted fomod, though, even being 10gb.

The virtual FOMM is the only third party program I haven't had full functionality through Mod Organizer yet.

TJ

Yeah if you can see this,

Post by TJ » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Yeah if you can see this, just don't use Mod Organizer with Fallout. It took me forever to get set up but seems to work alright. Grib on the otherhand, will probably kill me before the night is over....

WizardOfAtlantis

tjmidnight420 wrote:

Post by WizardOfAtlantis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:28 am

[quote=tjmidnight420]

Grib on the otherhand, will probably kill me before the night is over....

[/quote]

Methinks I am missing information...

TJ

Like I said, other than the

Post by TJ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Like I said, other than the pain that was importing my mods from another manager, removing the duplicates, adding missing info, and finding the few plugins that MO missed I haven't really had any issues with it. It pretty well hosed Grib's install on the otherhand. He had issues literally every step of the process...

WizardOfAtlantis

Ah, I see. You know, another

Post by WizardOfAtlantis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Ah, I see. You know, another very interesting mod installation tool is Mod Fusion by Cyberlazy (iirc). I've used it to install his mega-crafting/reloading mods. It's very neat in that it can take multiple sources (his sources, organized in his way, as in folders and an ini per mod) and then merge them into a single esp.

ModFusion works virtually through Mod Organizer as well.