Taller DC Skyscrapers v4.0

Mod releases and conversions.
DarkValor

Taller DC Skyscrapers v4.0

Post by DarkValor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 am

Version: Taller DC Skyscrapers v3.0

Greetings,

I have a present; I've found this little-known gem on Fallout 3 Nexus and had to put it into Tales of Two Wastelands. It's called 'Taller DC - True Skyscrapers' and it was created by a fellow called naugrim04. This mod adds skyscrapers to the DC City Ruins adding a tremendous amount of atmosphere to the game (and makes it ACTUALLY feel like a gods-for-honest city).

In the current version, v3.0, a lot of changes have been made to the visual appearance of the DCRuin Worldspaces. A lot of varied, and quite different, buildings have been added to make the place feel like a true post-apocalyptic city. The effect the latest changes make is pretty huge compared with both vanilla and the previous versions.

I'm not 100% sure if the changes will be everybody's 'Cuppa-Joe' so I'll keep v2.5 available just in case. It's a quick conversion and clean-up, I haven't had much chance to test it because my attention is focussed elsewhere -- IRL(tm).

Whilst you're trying this mod out, please don't forget to show the actual creator a visit on his mod page: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20540, post a comment if you wish and most importantly endorse his mod (and yes, I have naugrim04's permission, you'll find it in the comments section of his mod).

Also, if any weird LOD things pop up, let me know, I'll try my luck at fixing it; but please be aware that my experience with LOD generation is very limited.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

This mod contains custom LOD mesh (just for buildings) to make the skyscrapers appear; so please back up your existing LOD (in meshes\Landscape\LOD) just in case it doesn't work properly so you can roll back.

If you don't want to use the custom LOD you will need to extract the contents of the mod and delete the meshes folder, then recreate the archive before using it (but you won't see the skyscrapers at a distance).

Texture packs should not matter because it uses the vanilla LOD textures provided with TTW.

Enjoy,

Dark.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarkValor

Hmm... it still needs more

Post by DarkValor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Hmm... it still needs more testing....... clearly the LOD i'm making sucks (so might be an idea not to use my LOD with this mod atm).

It's probably another bad texture somewhere....

UPDATE: Nope, it was a false alarm.

It was a sneaky tree LOD that snuck in there via the GECK (killing it fixed it). The tree LOD isn't included in the package -- so everyone should be safe.

[collapsed title=False Alarm Bug Image]

[/collapsed]

Cheers,

Dark

tizerist

Well, I'm not using Vurts,

Post by tizerist » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Well, I'm not using Vurts, and most of the towers are missing. I even tried the trick on the Nexus page but could not "Generate Objects". Maybe I should wait for the newer version and see if this changes. Thanks though!

DarkValor

tizerist wrote:

Post by DarkValor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 am

[quote=tizerist]

Well, I'm not using Vurts, and most of the towers are missing. I even tried the trick on the Nexus page but could not "Generate Objects". Maybe I should wait for the newer version and see if this changes. Thanks though!

[/quote]

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Dumb question, but did you use the version that had texture and mesh data? (just trying to figure out if I missed anything in my upload). I'm not sure if having vurts or not will matter (since I've only included the building LOD in the package -- I've left the tree data out, which would be all the Vurts stuff).

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Cheers,

Dark.

tizerist

The version I had did have

Post by tizerist » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27 am

The version I had did have meshes and textures folders in there, yes.

You may want to update the 'important note' section, such as 'decompress the mod'. Which mod, this one or Vurts?? And you mean we're supposed to extract it? Not many people refer to this process as decompressing. Thanks.

DarkValor

I've fixed the description.

Post by DarkValor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 pm

I've fixed the description. Vurts shouldn't matter, since this is more to do with the buildings than anything else. I'll have to create a testing FNV to figure out the problem (probably a few missing files, I hope).

Thanks,

Dark.

DarkValor

Update:

Post by DarkValor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Update:

I think I've fixed the problem (a folder name was wrong blush). You also don't need the LOD textures and they've been removed from the package (only the mesh lod is important).

Let me know how it turns out

Regards,

Dark.

tizerist

Cool! I'm getting more

Post by tizerist » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Cool! I'm getting more skyscrapers with that update, but not all of them. When I compare washington monument in my game compared to the nexus page pictures, it seems some are still missing. But still, it adds quite a few as it is, and is still a worthwhile mod. And now I have 129 files. Damn it.

Hope this gets fully fleshed out. Really good premise, the game does benefit from it.

DarkValor

tizerist wrote:

Post by DarkValor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:24 am

[quote=tizerist]

Cool! I'm getting more skyscrapers with that update, but not all of them. When I compare washington monument in my game compared to the nexus page pictures, it seems some are still missing. But still, it adds quite a few as it is, and is still a worthwhile mod. And now I have 129 files. Damn it.

Hope this gets fully fleshed out. Really good premise, the game does benefit from it.

[/quote]

Quick question, what's the value of your fObjectLODMax in your fallout.ini?

(and can you provide me with a screenshot? I'm curious to see what you're seeing compared to what I do, if you don't mind of course).

Regards,

Dark.

tizerist

screenshot, any particular

Post by tizerist » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm

screenshot, any particular place?