Difficult Journey: A more challenging start to New Vegas

Mod releases and conversions.
thermador

Difficult Journey: A more challenging start to New Vegas

Post by thermador » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:58 pm

This mod makes the journey between wastelands much more challenging and immersive.  It should make the first part of the New Vegas storyline more challenging for higher-level characters as well.

[collapsed title=Minor spoilers, description of effects] 

Changes affecting all travel (back and forth):

• Both train stations are much more dangerous (only for 2.2/2.3, as 2.4 has this already)

• Train terminals require pre-war money instead of caps

• Train messages have more immersion-friendly

Changes that affect you the first time you travel only:

• All vanilla companions are fired

• You are fully healed and clothed when you wake up, and you can no longer rob Doc Mitchell blind.

• You lose all your inventory items - it's been 9 years, after all - (don't worry, any uniques can be found again later, and if you lose something non-unique that you really needed, see the second spoiler for how to get it back)

• You get a temporary reduction to your stats based on your level - due to getting shot in the head obviously.  The higher the level, the worse it hits your stats.

• When you are fully healed, you get a little perk as a reward

[/collapsed]

[collapsed title=Worse spoilers, a look under the hood, etc.] 

Changes affecting all travel (back and forth):

• Both train stations heavily populated with leveled ghouls and some radiation, bring lots of ammo and stimpacks (only in v2.2/2.3, as the train stations in 2.4 have their own enemies)

• Train terminals require pre-war money ($500 or $95 depending on ver) instead of caps

• Train messages have more immersion-friendly wording "Westbound" instead of "New Vegas" and "Eastbound" instead of "Washington D.C." etc. etc.

Changes that affect you the first time you travel only:

• All vanilla companions are fired

• You are fully healed by Doc Mitchell *including radiation*

• You are equipped at Doc Mitchell's with set of wastelander clothes a patient gown instead of just being totally naked

• You can no longer rob Doc Mitchell blind.

• You lose all your inventory items.

• Any Unique weapons and armor are moved to a locker in Primm, Nash Residence.  A key to this locker is added to your inventory.  The remainder (all non-uniques and everything else) are moved to a locker behind that one, use the console command "TCL" to access it in case there is something crucial that you need.  No items are actually destroyed.

• You get a temporary "Under the Weather" perk, the effects of which are level dependent.  The higher your level, the more your stats are reduced, and the longer it takes to get back to normal.  You will heal up over time -- for example, if you are level 40, you will first get rank 5 perk, then later go down to rank 4, then to 3, etc. until you are fully healed after 24 game days):

- rank 6: player is over level 45, very severe stat reduction, lasts 6 days

- rank 5: player is less than level 45, severe stat reduction, lasts 6 days

- rank 4: player is less than level 35, major stat reduction, lasts 6 days

- rank 3: player is less than level 25, medium stat reduction, lasts 6 days

- rank 2: player is less than level 15, minor stat reduction, lasts 6 days

- rank 1: player is less than level 5, no stat reduction

• When you are fully healed, the "Under the Weather" perk is removed and a permanent perk "This Old Head" for +1 Luck is added.

[/collapsed]

* Thanks to RoyBatty for updating this mod for the latest TTW 2.9

* The only difference between the two versions below is the price of the train ticket.

Download:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LaEspada

Pretty good idea. The "under

Post by LaEspada » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 am

Pretty good idea. The "under the weather" affect could also explain memory loss that would bridge the gap, technically, of nine years.

But for getting your stuff back I have a better idea and could be easily implented. Since it was the Great Khans there with Benny while you were being buried alive, why don't you make a note that gets added to your pipboy when you talk to the robot guy about the guys who shot you that states he say some Great Khans break away from the main group with a whole bunch of loot (your stuff) and the pipboy note will give you some hints to where they actually went.

As for the companions being excused you can also take apply them with the Great Khans that they took your companions prisoners and you have to go rescue them. You could model it after the quest Booted in which you have to rescue Powder Gangers from the Caeser's Legion. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Booted

There would be a temporary Great Khan camp where you could kill all the Great Khans and get your stuff back that would be conviently stashed in a duffle bag or something and rescue your companions, tied up in the middle of the camp or something.

Would be a really cool, immersive way to do this.

thermador

Yeah... if you want to be the

Post by thermador » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:46 am

Yeah... if you want to be the one to code all of that, go nuts and make your own version of this mod :) 

I made this mod because I didn't like the way the existing Equipment Looted mod worked.  Not that it's a bad mod, but just not my style, personally.  So this is my take on it.  ;-)

The reason why you don't get much stuff back with my mod (unless you went on a Unique collecting spree in the Capital Wasteland), is because it's been 9 years.  Things wear out.  They break.  They get lost or stolen or sold to buy something else.  What percentage of your possessions from 9 years ago do you still have?  With my level 22 test character I only got a couple of unique weapons, no armor, and a few misc. quest items.  Everything else was gone, as it should be.  Or back at my house in Megaton.  "Possessions are fleeting."

LaEspada

True enough.

Post by LaEspada » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 am

True enough.

Obdulio

Sounds pretty awesome I gotta

Post by Obdulio » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 am

Sounds pretty awesome I gotta admit.

If I can make a suggestion ?

When you wake up at Doc's I think you should have a patient gown [ from Old World Blues since you need all DLCs anyway ] rather than the wasteland clothing he is a doctor after all and then when he walks to the door and gives you the the stuff you have had on you the patient gown is removed and you get the default vault 21 suit or anything you feel appropriate.

morlund69

I know that there is a mod on

Post by morlund69 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 am

I know that there is a mod on the NV Nexus that does just that [here]. I think you could just load that mod after this one and they should work together nicely. Of course, if the features of that mod could be incorporated into this one (to reduce # plugins in load order), that would be ideal.

Oh yeah, and this mod sounds like a good idea, Thermador. K bye.

If you think nothing is impossible... try slamming a revolving door. Yeah.

Risewild

PlausibleSarge wrote:

Post by Risewild » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 am

[quote=PlausibleSarge]

Too bad it's full of invalid refs since it was made for an older version of TTW (I think....anyone else having problems with it?)

[/quote]

I can't be sure since I didn't ask Thermador about it, but judging by when it was posted and that it was made by him I would say it was actually made for a newer version of TTW  cool, since Thermador has access to the TTW 2.3 testing version.

But I might be wrong devil.

thermador

No he's right.  There are a

Post by thermador » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 pm

No he's right.  There are a bunch of invalid references.  It must have been something I did when going through the final run of cleaning in FNVedit.  I will restore a backup tonight and see if I can get it fixed.

EDIT: Fixed, it was indeed my final FNVedit cleaning that did it.  New version uploaded.  If you downloaded the old version please trash it and re-download.

JaxFirehart

I will most probably grab the

Post by JaxFirehart » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

I will most probably grab the better wording for the travel, and I like the use of prewar money (caps were always just a placeholder anyway). How hard is it to come by 500 pre-war money?

Also, with some script work, it would be possible to degrade the uniques, and make it randomly distribute your items, though that sounds like its getting closer to the other mod that you didnt like so much.

thermador

The other thing you might

Post by thermador » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:22 pm

The other thing you might want to borrow from the TTWTransit script I modified is the healing stuff, which I stole off of the medical station that you buy for the megaton house.  As TTW is now, Doc Mitchell won't heal radiation.

If I was better at NVSE scripting I would drop the condition of all the items, and also make sure that any non-vanilla companions are fired too, but that would take a lot of time for me to figure out.

As far as randomly distributing the items, it makes sense that the Khans would steal them, but really I'm not sure how many fancy items a wasteland courier would be carrying around anyway if he/she could stash them in a locker instead.

Further, as it stands now, this mod doesn't mess with any NPCs, and it only changes one vanilla cell.  My goal with this was to really minimize the amount of changes to the base games, and only change the TTW parts.