Risewild's Reading is Learning Project

Mod releases and conversions for Legacy versions of TTW
DO NOT USE WITH TTW 3.2!
Risewild

Risewild's Reading is Learning Project

Post by Risewild » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:08 am

Here it is the first public release of Reading is Learning Mod (AKA Don't Judge a Book by its Cover).

It is still very incomplete but I decided to release it anyway so I can get people to try it, test it and get feedback (specially suggestions on what to add and/or what to change).

Q: What does this mod do?

A: This is a book and magazine texture replacer, it changes how Books (Pre-war, Burned, Ruined, Unique and Skillbooks) and magazines look like ingame.

NOTE: The texture images are around 4 times larger than the vanilla ones, so it might affect performance for some people, I don't see any difference on my Asus laptop with 4GB ram though.

Features:

• Pre-war book covers replaced by real world book covers

• All Skill magazine covers replaced by real world magazine covers (10 different covers for each skill magazine)

• Eight new burned/ruined book covers replace the original ones from the game

• Random book and magazine placement ingame (Thanks go to JaxFirehart for his awesome randomizer system)

• Luck attribute based book/magazine placement (the higher the Player Character's Luck, the more Pre-war books will be found instead of burned/ruined)

• MCM (The Mod Configuration Menu) support for customizing the randomizer options

• Unique books put in specific places on the world

• All new Skill Magazines have custom (made by me) Pipboy Icons

• Magazines now compatible with PN sorting system (they should be sorted as MAG now)

To Do List:

• Add more Pre-war book covers

• Add more burned/ruined book covers

• Change the Skill Book covers Done in 0.6

• Add Wild Wasteland book related special encounters

• Add special books/magazines that give a bonus while in the player character's inventory

• Fix the size of the pipboy icons for the skill magazines (they are a bit too large at the moment) Fixed in 0.5

• Change how much Scribe Yearling pay for pre-war books

• Make it as the player receives a misc item version of the magazines and skill books to give to scribe Yearling

• Restore cut content books

• Probably other stuff I am forgetting at the moment

Special Thanks:

•  Aconagent1 (for teaching me how to make my own texture sets and apply them to the book using GECK.)

• JaxFirehart (for the amazing Randomizer System he built for my mod)

• The 3rd Type (for his very useful pipboy icon making tutorial)

• Chucksteel, Gribbleshnibit8, Sesom, TrickyVein (for all the help and sharing of knowledge they did for me)

• CDTalmas for telling me how to fix Scribe Yearling not accept all the pre-war books

• Lydia of the Wastes and several others that helped me with a list for books

• Bethesda and Obsidian for the great Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas games and all of its DLC's

• All the artists and publishers of the books and magazines I used to make this mod for their great cover art

• And everyone else that I am sure I forgot to mention

[collapsed title=Old Text]

Ok, I am really a newbie when it comes to GECK and all modding in general, I have no programing knowledge, can only use image editing software for doing basic stuff like cropping, cutting, and little else . But I always hated how so plain the books looked, I like to have a nice player house (even if it is the Megaton one) and put nice looking stuff around, and I always wanted to put some books but they looked so plain and useless that I never did. Searched the Nexus for book texture replacers but had little luck (the only one I found was just replacing the covers with sexy images of girls, which was not what I was looking for), so I just made my own and decided to to ask here for comments and suggestions about them.

[/collapsed]

Here are a couple of screenies:

[collapsed title=Book Pictures] Some of the Pre-war Books

Book Spines

[/collapsed]

Here are the textures I made for unique and cut content books that didn't have their own textures (The Krivbeknih for example has it's own unique texture so I didn't made a new one for it). All of this covers except the Paradise Lost (I used the original cover of it) were made from scratch from images I found in google and some time put into photoshot so I hope they don't look too unprofessional or something (although the Mirelurks and Ghouls ones are supposed to look unprofessional since they were written supposedly by hand after those creatures appeared in the wasteland).

Here they are, enjoy:

[collapsed title=More Books]

Covers:

Book Spines:

[/collapsed]

Here is a list of books I already have a cover for, the ones with a " * " after their names are already textured and all made in GECK and ready to be placed in the game (a special thanks go for everyone who told me titles in the chat and specially Lydia of the Wastes for her huge list ):

[collapsed title=Books list:] Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

To Kill a Mocking Bird

Ender's Game

Fahrenheit 451

Fountain Head

The Jungle

Picture of Dorian Gray

Martian Chronicles

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Starship Troopers

Flash Gordon

Around the World in 80 Days

Poems by Robert Frost

A Tale of Two Cities

Great Expectations

Oliver Twist

Gone with the Wind

Doc Savage

Dr. Who

Sherlock Holmes

Conan

I, Robot *

Lord of the Flies *

The Postman *

Agent of the Unknown * (I had to put that one since the scene in the cover really looks like, to me, it's happening in Mothership Zeta)

The Synthetic Man *

Gun-Runners *

The Earth War *

Ghoul Days *

Atom Curtain *

I am Legend *

Forbidden Planet *

The Earth in Peril *

Paradise Lost * (unique FO3 book)

Beyond the end of time *

The Saucerian Review *

The Green Man *

Global Blackout *

Bullets for a ranger *

The Ghoul Keepers *

The Great Explosion *

Big Town Nurse * (the title reminded me of Red from Big Town)

The Postman *

The Man in the High Castle *

Dracula *

Carmilla *

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer *

Oliver Twist *

Starship Troopers*

The Day of the Triffids *

[/collapsed]

I also plan of having some Pre-War books placed in particular places where they would make sense, so after I release this (still going to take quite a while) hope you all have fun hunting those books (just realized that this idea reminds me of Chuck's Gnome Hunting in his mod TTW Interiors hahaha).

Skill Books Risewild Style:

[collapsed title=Skill Books]

[/collapsed]

EDIT: I just made this book cover but it is not for a TTW skill book, it is a book I will reintroduce in my mod later and have it give a special effect once I think of a good one:

[collapsed title=Fallout Book I will reintroduce later]  [/collapsed]

EDIT: I just made this book cover but it is not for a TTW skill book, it is a book from Fallout 2 game and I will make a Wild Wasteland TTW encounter with it in my mod:

[collapsed title=Fallout 2 Wild Wasteland TTW Encounter Book]  [/collapsed]

And another not skill book I made but it is still an older Fallout game book :

[collapsed title=Another Old Fallout game book]  [/collapsed]

Here is the Wasteland Survival Guide texture Risewild style:

[collapsed title=Wasteland Survival Guide]  [/collapsed]

Magazine Covers:

Here are the magazines I made, I made ten magazines for each skill (which adds variety, but it has the downside of if you for example collect several for Unarmed  that are different you will get a couple of items in your inventory called The Ring and not in stack which might clog your inventory space ), this are the ten for unarmed skill:

[collapsed title=Skill Magazines]

[collapsed title=The Ring Magazines]  [/collapsed]

Here are the ten for sneak, also a logical and easy choice to replace:

[collapsed title=Sneak Magazines]  [/collapsed]

Ten magazines for Critical Chance:

[collapsed title=Critical Chance Magazines]  [/collapsed]

Ten magazines for Energy Weapons (couldn't find any magazine that would fit that role from around 40's or 50's, so I used some from around 1917 ):

[collapsed title=Energy Weapons][/collapsed]

Ten for Melee Weapons:

[collapsed title=Melee Weapons]  [/collapsed]

Ten for Science!!!

* If you look at them there are some called "Modern Mechanics" and others  "Modern Mechanix", their name is also different ingame but they do the same (all science skill magazines) *

This picture is outdated, I remade the science magazines and this time used only Modern Mechanix magazine covers.

[collapsed title=You're no match for Science!]  [/collapsed]

Ten for Survival:

[collapsed title=Survival]  [/collapsed]

Here comes more magazines

Ten for guns:

[collapsed title=Guns Magazines]  [/collapsed]

Ten for Speech (couldn't find any magazine even remotely suitable to be a speech one so I opted for the Magazine "Life", so don't insult me for not researching enough or something ):

[collapsed title=Speech Magazine]  [/collapsed]

Ten for Repair:

[collapsed title=Repair Magazines]  [/collapsed]

*30 November 2013* - NEW MAGAZINES:

Ten for Medicine :

[collapsed title=Medicine Magazines] [/collapsed]

Ten for Explosives:

[collapsed title=Explosives Magazines]  [/collapsed]

Ten for Lockpick:

[collapsed title=Lockpick Magazines]  [/collapsed]

And the last of the skill magazines, Barter Magazines:

[collapsed title=10 Barter Magazines]  [/collapsed]

[/collapsed]

Also made a new magazine just because I felt like it feel free to suggest what this new magazine should do . For now it is giving +10 Speech while in the inventory. It is not ingame yet.

[collapsed title=New Magazine][/collapsed]

Anyone got a match?

I RECOMMEND USING MCM WITH THIS MOD:

The Mod Configuration Menu

So you can configure the randomizer system to whatever you want it to do.

MCM configuration menu:

NOTE:

This is the first ever mod released or even made by me, so I am sure there are mistakes and/or bugs around so please tell me as soon as you find something wrong with it, I will try and fix it as soon as possible .

Thanks for trying it out.

Uploaded version 0.6.2. Since this was just a bug fixing version no new content was added, if you're using any older version please update since older versions had some bugs and were missing some of the content.

Now (hopefully) with compatibility version for use with the mod Magazines Reworked !

Use the "risesbooks.esp" if you don't use the Magazines Reworked mod and use the "risesbooks MagRwrkd.esp" if you use that mod, just load mine after that one. DO NOT USE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, THE GAME WILL NOT WORK!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JaxFirehart

Thats awesome! Congrats!

Post by JaxFirehart » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:34 am

Thats awesome! Congrats!

alegendv1

This is looking very good and

Post by alegendv1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:47 am

This is looking very good and fallout friendly!

If you wanna do something to make the ruined books look a bit more ruined or burnt without sacrificing the complete image of the book, I'd say try fading and blackening the corners and/or edges of the pictures of the book. I still haven't learned how to texture, but you should experiment and keep it in mind perhaps?

Thats my only suggestion. Otherwise, great work!

Risewild

Thanks a lot Jax and

Post by Risewild » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:50 am

Thanks a lot Jax and Alegendv1 laugh.

I will try to do that next time, when I feel like messing around with image editing software again (might take a while) wink

rbroab

Holy separating side cars,

Post by rbroab » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:11 am

Holy separating side cars, Batman! This looks beautiful, though it will make finding the good books and magazines amongst the ruined ones a bit difficult, I'm going to use this. Keep up the awesome work.

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

Risewild

rbroab wrote:

Post by Risewild » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 am

[quote=rbroab]

Holy separating side cars, Batman! This looks beautiful, though it will make finding the good books and magazines amongst the ruined ones a bit difficult, I'm going to use this. Keep up the awesome work.

[/quote]

You're going to use this? But I wasn't planning on releasing it, it was to be personal use only , well I guess if I ever fix it a bit better I could release it or just give it to you, and yes it makes finding the pre-war books harder, I have to rely mostly on the name when we put the cursor over them cheeky.

Aconagent1

These are great! Nice work

Post by Aconagent1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 am

These are great! Nice work Rise

-Conso

Risewild

Aconagent1 wrote:

Post by Risewild » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 am

[quote=Aconagent1]

These are great! Nice work Rise

[/quote]

Thanks, couldn't have done it without you helping me though laugh.

I was going to see how I could replace the textures and not have to use a plugin but I hit rock bottom there, since it seems that the game uses the same textures for small and big books, which I believe it would only allow me to use four book covers for all the pre-war books and four for all the ruined ones, then they would have the same covers independent of being small or large books sad I wouldn't like to have less variety of covers, in fact I really would like to have MORE variety than just eight covers for pre-war books and eight for ruined/burned books, if only I could get a way of making books already placed in the world randomly generate a cover from a list of available ones, then that would be awesome, although even if that was possible I wouldn't be able to do something like that even in a million years broken heart

thermador

Great job!  Agree on making

Post by thermador » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Great job!  Agree on making the ruined books look more ruined. 

One way to do it would to be able to get a high-res image of a torn book cover, and then just copy the "tears" (not the whole cover) over the top of the book covers that you want to use (using layers in photoshop or gimp, for example.)  Some blackening for the "scorched" books would be nice.  This could be done with the brush tool probably.

Risewild

thermador wrote:

Post by Risewild » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:24 am

[quote=thermador]

Great job!  Agree on making the ruined books look more ruined. 

One way to do it would to be able to get a high-res image of a torn book cover, and then just copy the "tears" (not the whole cover) over the top of the book covers that you want to use (using layers in photoshop or gimp, for example.)  Some blackening for the "scorched" books would be nice.  This could be done with the brush tool probably.

[/quote]

I did use the brush to make them look scorched and burned before, but then I didn't like how they looked in-game, but that was before my laptop died a while ago and I lost those images angryI also thought of getting burnt and damaged cover pics and do stuff like that, but I still need more practice with photoshop to be able to pull it off nicely blush.