Not getting Bad Karma???

General discussion of potential spoilers. Ask questions about or discuss storyline here.
TAWM

Not getting Bad Karma???

Post by TAWM » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:20 am

Okay I've only played Vanilla New Vegas for maybe 3 hours before I got bored with it and quite.  I've only ever played New Vegas all the way through after I installed Tale of Two Wastelands.  I know their are changes that were made between Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  The Karma system I'm curious about since I usually play a more evil character.   

1. Do Ghouls in New Vegas give you good Karma when you kill them?  I keep getting good karma when I'm gunning down ghouls usually every third of fourth ghoul gave you good karma when I was playing in DC.  I honestly don't know if getting good karma for killing ghouls is normal in New Vegas or not or is that something you all changed to make the campaigns have the same karma mechanics?  

2. I never got bad Karma when killing the slaves during there rebellion in the Pitt.  I always side with Ashur during the Pitt questline and in vanilla Fallout 3 you always get bad karma for killing the slaves.  Is this something you guys changed to match what happens when you kill slaves in New Vegas?  I'm asking about this because the Pitt is one of the very few times in Fallout 3 where taking the evil option actually made sense and wasn't just for the lulz.   

3. If these were deliberate changes to how Karma is handled are there any other major changes to how bad Karma is given out in Tale of Two Wastelands? 

Here's my load order

0  0 FalloutNV.esm

1  1 DeadMoney.esm

2  2 HonestHearts.esm

3  3 OldWorldBlues.esm

4  4 LonesomeRoad.esm

5  5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm

6  6 ClassicPack.esm

7  7 MercenaryPack.esm

8  8 TribalPack.esm

9  9 CaravanPack.esm

10  a Fallout3.esm

11  b Anchorage.esm

12  c ThePitt.esm

13  d BrokenSteel.esm

14  e PointLookout.esm

15  f Zeta.esm

16 10 TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm

17 11 Project Nevada - Core.esm

18 12 Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

19 13 Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp

20 14 Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp

21 15 TTW_NoKarmaDCFollowers.esp

22 16 TTW_SpeechChecks.esp

23 17 TTW_StartupMenu.esp

24 18 TTW_StashPackOptions.esp

25 19 ttw_wildwasteland.esp

26 1a TTW_Companions_Essential.esp

27 1b Easy Unlocking and Easy Hacking and Guaranteed Pick Pocket.esp

28 1c BurkeCompanion.esp

29 1d Project Nevada - Rebalance Uncapped Max Level.esp

30 1e BoostedSkills.esp

RoyBatty

Ghouls give you good karma in

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:01 am

Ghouls give you good karma in NV, this normal.

I'm not aware we changed killing the slaves to not give bad karma. Are you sure that's not FWE that changed Fallout 3 vanilla to do that? You may find that FWE changes a lot of things like that, and people remember that as being Fallout 3 vanilla but in reality it's not.

I'm not aware of karma changes, but that doesn't mean it wasn't done in the past. Someone else who's been on the team longer would have to answer that one. It's not hard to check though, just check the karma value on NPC's in ThePitt.esm and TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm in FNVEdit.

Risewild

I don't remember any

Post by Risewild » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:38 am

I don't remember any conversation about removing karma gain/loss from anywhere in Fallout 3 part of TTW.

Except like Roy said, killing feral ghouls in TTW works like in FNV because that is what TTW stands for. Making Fallout 3 seem like a addon to base fallout New Vegas, so ghouls would have to behave the same in both wastelands.

My advice is to get a Fallout New Vegas mod that changes the feral ghouls to Evil or says it removes the good karma from killing feral ghouls. I am sure there are a few of those, just try searching the nexus for it. Since you play a Evil character, you might want to look for a mod that also changes the gain karma from killing Fiends too. You might even be lucky and find a mod that does both.

I would look for the mods and post the links, but Nexus is on maintenance at the moment. cool

Signature:

RoyBatty

Some of them give good karma,

Post by RoyBatty » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Some of them give good karma, but not all. I always remove it myself, I don't think I should get good karma for something I can't avoid killing.

TAWM

RoyBatty wrote:

Post by TAWM » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:58 pm

[quote=RoyBatty]

Ghouls give you good karma in NV, this normal.

I'm not aware we changed killing the slaves to not give bad karma. Are you sure that's not FWE that changed Fallout 3 vanilla to do that? You may find that FWE changes a lot of things like that, and people remember that as being Fallout 3 vanilla but in reality it's not.

I'm not aware of karma changes, but that doesn't mean it wasn't done in the past. Someone else who's been on the team longer would have to answer that one. It's not hard to check though, just check the karma value on NPC's in ThePitt.esm and TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm in FNVEdit.

[/quote]

No it's the Vanilla game slaves have good karma.  Checking the wiki it also states that the slaves give bad karma if you kill them when they rebel during the Free Labor quest.   

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Free_Labor

When siding with Ashur in Fallout 3 and gunning down the slaves rebelling you take massive karma hits for that.  Usually going from very good to at least neutral if not evil because of that in regular Fallout 3. 

I tried checking TTW changes to see if it's a direct change or if it's a possible bug but being honest I don't have all that much experience with the Geck and I'm not sure what to exactly check there since I've only used the Geck on rare occassions and that was years ago with the last time firing it up shortly after the game of year edition of fallout 3 coming out.  Anyway I checked under Actor Data/Actors/NPC/DLCPittAsianMut and checked the generic Pitt Slaves and they are set to Good Karma.  The same Goes for Caucasian, Black and Hispaniac

HoweverDLC01SlaveAAF1TEMPLATE and the leveled NPC lists have the slaves set to neutral Karma...maybe that's a change? If TTW changed this I honestly don't know exactly where and how to check that. 

[quote=Risewild]

I don't remember any conversation about removing karma gain/loss from anywhere in Fallout 3 part of TTW.

Except like Roy said, killing feral ghouls in TTW works like in FNV because that is what TTW stands for. Making Fallout 3 seem like a addon to base fallout New Vegas, so ghouls would have to behave the same in both wastelands.

My advice is to get a Fallout New Vegas mod that changes the feral ghouls to Evil or says it removes the good karma from killing feral ghouls. I am sure there are a few of those, just try searching the nexus for it. Since you play a Evil character, you might want to look for a mod that also changes the gain karma from killing Fiends too. You might even be lucky and find a mod that does both.

I would look for the mods and post the links, but Nexus is on maintenance at the moment.

[/quote]

*shrugs* I might try modding some stuff myself since I'm not a modder and haven't messed with the Geck in years.  Maybe a new hobby? 

[quote=RoyBatty]

Some of them give good karma, but not all. I always remove it myself, I don't think I should get good karma for something I can't avoid killing.

[/quote]

Yeah I don't get Obsidian's line of thinking in doing that either.