Are stories integrated?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
samoja

Are stories integrated?

Post by samoja » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am

So i wonder, i know that to get to NV you take a train, but is there sort of an intermediary quest? or do you take a train and just sort of appear in Doc Mitchel´s house? I mean do you actually get a quest to deliver platinum chip from a Mojave Express outpost triggering the whole story of New Vegas?

Damianwolff

No. It is assumed that you

Post by Damianwolff » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:58 am

No. It is assumed that you became a courier between the two games.

samoja

Oh, would be cool if it was

Post by samoja » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Oh, would be cool if it was though, of course there would be a problem with the whole Divide thing, as it is said you basically built that community, but still it would tie in the stories nicely.

Damianwolff

A ton of extra work to

Post by Damianwolff » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:36 pm

A ton of extra work to implement for already overtasked developers.

Personally, I'm wondering if I could somehow force several New Lands Mods and quests to initiate after I enter the train, and before the beginning of New Vegas intiates.

I would like to figure out how I can play in sequence the The Pitt, Metropolis - The Big Apple, Alton Il., Dog City Denver, Beyond Boulder Dome, Honest Heats, Zion Trail.

Kind of play off an inter-continental road story, with implied time skips

snarfies

I haven't played TTW in a few

Post by snarfies » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 pm

I haven't played TTW in a few years - I'm waiting for 3.0.  But there was a great story intergration mod whose name I forget.  You started in FO3, but to get into the vault where your father was being held you needed to get a hold of the platinum chip from FNV.  I thought it was a very clever solution.

samoja

I don´t think it would be

Post by samoja » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:03 pm

I don´t think it would be that much extra work, just add a generic building near the railway to New Vegas, and put a Mojave Express rep inside, a few lines of dialogue along the lines of "we need someone for a courier job to New Vegas, interested?" and they hand you the "package", that`s all, it is well documented that neither the Courier nor Mojave Express were aware of the importance of the package.

jlf65

It's also well established

Post by jlf65 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

It's also well established that you got the chip from Johnson Nash in Primm, and that you had been a courier for years before that. You just can't step off the train and someone hands you THE package to deliver. Now you could make a mod that adds a Mojave Express office near the train where you get hired and start delivering some packages that eventually ends with you in Primm getting THE package, but that's well beyond the scope of TTW.

bromega

what is with this obsession

Post by bromega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

what is with this obsession with everything being very explicitly lined out? there is a 9 year gap in which a whole bunch of stuff is implied to happen, but for the most part it's up to your own personal headcanon to develop.

what we do know 100% is you make it to the mojave eventually and work as a courier for some time, going to the divide, blowing up the divide, taking a job from Johnson Nash in Primm to head up to New Vegas. On your way up from Primm you get shot by Great Khans, etc.

Point being, the idea that there would be a Mojave Express representative across the continent, just sitting and waiting in the subway of the ruins of D.C. is more absurd than most things in a game with space aliens and talking trees.

jlf65

Yeah, I didn't mean that a

Post by jlf65 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean that a recruiter would be hanging around the station (at either end). But that actually would be kinda interesting - you meet a Mohave Express courier at the DC station headed back from a delivery and sit with him on the trip. During the trip, he talks incessantly about how great ME is and what a great way to earn money, go new places, and meet new people (and sometimes kill them). It wouldn't obligate you to anything, but it would start a quest and add a marker to the NV map for a Mohave Express in New Vegas. The main quest for NV wouldn't start until you went there and joined. In that way, it would be kinda like Live Another Life for Skyrim where the main quest doesn't start until you go to Helgen.

James_T_Quirk

Umm, this ain't really

Post by James_T_Quirk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Umm, this ain't really important, but, when does Nash say he hired the courier? he says "we" hired, meaning mojave express, Nash doesn't know or recognise the courier, he hired a guy who quit, and "we" had to find replacement, at short notice, it seems to me ..