Ok to create a bash patch after i create a merge patch?

General discussion of Tale of Two Wastelands
CVB_Taihou

Ok to create a bash patch after i create a merge patch?

Post by CVB_Taihou » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 am

Wrye bash for nv is released.
If i make one, i don't need to make the other?

Mystical Panda

Wyre and xEdit are usually

Post by Mystical Panda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 am

Wyre and xEdit are usually used for different things- at least from what I've read. I'm not sure if that's the way it is now, but Wyre was better at merging 'lists' than xEdit. So both were kinda needed... one to merge leveled lists, and the other to created merged, override patches.

RoyBatty

Wrye is an automated patch

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Wrye is an automated patch solution where xEdit is a more powerful editing tool.

jlf65

I prefer making merged

Post by jlf65 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I prefer making merged patches in xEdit because no matter how good the algorithm, you're probably going to need to make changes, and xEdit allows you to make those changes.

Tacitvrno

I experimented a lot with

Post by Tacitvrno » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:05 pm

I experimented a lot with bashed patches and merged patches during my installation of TTW and look, i'm still a retard when it comes to modding (real modding), i mostly fiddle with x edit, so have this in mind for what I'm about to say.

I noticed that if you are not going to mess with your mods further than a merged patch (as you should), a bashed patch might help you, specially in things like the list of weapons that work with a certain perks (cowboy, comando, etc.). But remember that it will be a double edged sword, if you just use a merged patch, some items might be missing from loot lists, you might not find a weapon mod in-game and stuff like that. On the other side, if you make a bashed patch, you might have the opposite problem, imagine, you kill a raider, and find two versions of the weapon he is using and you might find two types of ammo (like finding both .32 and .22 bullets on the .22 revolver added by project nevada), other weird stuff might happen.

If you don't want to spend too much time in x edit manually patching conflicts, FROM MY EXPERIENCE , make your merged patch, then a bashed patch, and don't forget to have the wild wasteland perk, so you can maybe justify all the weird stuff that will happen xD. In the end just do whatever you want, worst thing that can happen is that you learn something and next time you do better.