Pooling porting work, is it possible?

Have something to say about Tale of Two Wastelands or have an idea for a new feature? Let us know here.
outsidefactor

Pooling porting work, is it possible?

Post by outsidefactor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 am

Greetings to the TTW community.

I'll start with the fanboy fawning: TTW is one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. I appreciate all the effort that has gone into this rather epic project.

I have noted with glee that there are now projects underway to bridge Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, and New Vegas to Fallout 4. These are more total conversion mods for Fallout 4 rather than an effort to bridge the storylines, each faithfully reproducing the skill and perk trees from the original games in the Fallout 4 engine.

It occurred to me that there might be an opportunity to pool some work between potential projects, and it also occurs to me that the TTW team probably has a lot of knowledge that would be helpful to these projects.

Then, I realised that there might even be a way to allow collaboration that might eventually lead to a Tale of Three Wastelands, or even a more extensible framework for merging mods with the old assets.

As a discussion piece, I have posted an open letter to the Fallout 4 Nexus that you might be interested in reading and commenting on.

Here's a link to my open letter: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6298866-an-open-letter-to-the-fallout-3nv4-porting-community/

I am the first to admit I am very much a modding beginner, but I would hate myself if i didn't at least ask the questions (even if they turn out to be stupid questions).

Again, thanks to all of the TTW team for all the joy you have brought into my life!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GrantSP

This has already been

Post by GrantSP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:54 am

This has already been discussed at great length here.

Risewild

I haven't been following

Post by Risewild » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am

I haven't been following those TCs for FO4 because I don't play FO4. But didn't their teams say in the past that they were not interested in recreating the games (FNV and FO3) in FO4, but only the maps? So there wouldn't be any quests from the previous games, also the characters would be different.

Also, I don't know if they will make the DLC world maps or just the Mojave and Capital wastelands.

I don't think there is much they can use from TTW to make a FO3 and FNV for FO4. There are too many differences between the game engines.

It would probably be needed to port things in totally different ways and most stuff would have to be created from scratch to work in FO4, so not many (or any) things used in/by TTW would work.