Long load time fix

What's new and upcoming in Tale of Two Wastelands? Find out here.
JaxFirehart

Long load time fix

Post by JaxFirehart » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 pm

What I did here was changed all of the TTWFunctions quest stages into User Defined NVSE Functions. I also changed the formID of both the Quest and it's associated Script so that any FUBAR saves would see it as a new quest and hopefully ignore all the old references to the old, messed up quest.

ANY mod that made use of SetStage TTWFunctions needs to now make use of the NVSE User Defined Functions I've implemented.

There are some hotfixes for use with this hotfix, that otherwise will not work correctly, find them here.

Difficult Journey: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/comment/47020#comment-47020

Start Up Menu: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/sites/default/files/RoyBatty/ttw_startupmenu.7z

Improved Transportalponder: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/sites/default/files/RoyBatty/ttw_transportalponder.7z

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rbroab

Loaded up a save at 46 hours,

Post by rbroab » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Loaded up a save at 46 hours, ran from Republic of Dave down to Tenpenny Tower, saved, quit, and loaded up the game. No decrease in load time yet, but I'll keep playing the save file longer and see if it begins to decrease.

Edit 1: Loaded up a save that was made using the FNVEdit delete TTW Functions fix. Essentially, used the TTW Function fix, made a save, quit the game, used this newly posted hotfix to overwrite the esm I edited and the short load times continue with this save.

An old save only using this new esm file (no other fixes or edits) still continues with long load times, even after playing for about an hour. Sorry to say, I'm not getting any improvement on load times with old save files using this.

Next I'm going to test if load times increase on the file I deleted the TTW Functions on after playing a while.

Edit 2: Quick load times persisted on the TTW Function removed file when using Jax's first fix. However, there was still no improvement on a file loaded before that.

Going to try the second hotfix now!

I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

JaxFirehart

OK for this one I commented

Post by JaxFirehart » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 pm

OK for this one I commented out the TTWFunctions quest script entirely. Well actually I made the first command "return" so it never runs.

If this doesn't work, my next attempt is going to be to change the formID of TTWFunctions, so that hopefully the save will think its completely new and it'll fix without breaking anything.

rbroab

Hope some of the other team

Post by rbroab » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Hope some of the other team members are trying these out too... So I have three saves files at this point.

1) Clean save file from vanilla TTW. Using the most recent hotfix, still experiencing long load times.

2) Save file using a deleted TTW Functions fix, but overwritten with the most recent hotfix. Load times are still extremely short in comparison, however, they might be going up a second or two every once in a while. I'll need to test more.

3) Save file using Jax's first fix, then overwritten with the second. Load times are the same as the first save file. Will test more.

Risewild

I wish I could try this too,

Post by Risewild » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 am

I wish I could try this too, but I never had long loading times ever, so I really can't test a fix for a problem I never managed to reproduce sad.

JaxFirehart

OK changed the formID so far

Post by JaxFirehart » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am

OK changed the formID so far as the save is concerned it should be a completely different quest and script.

rbroab

Trying it now, Jax. Seeing as

Post by rbroab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 am

Trying it now, Jax. Seeing as I'm not an expert, I have to ask, are these meant to gradually bring down load times, or would they be immediate fixes?

Edit: Jax, I think you've done it. surprise

1) Clean save file using most recent fix and no others. 7 Second load time.

2) Save file using a deleted TTW Functions fix, but overwritten with the most recent hotfix. Around 7 second load time.

3) Save file using Jax's first fix, then overwritten with the third fix. Around 7 second load time.

These were all immediate changes; no long loads, playing for a bit, and having loads gradually be reduced. Simply put it in my data folder, started the game, and things went smoothly. Even when loading multiple (very different) save files one after the other.

JaxFirehart

The expected outcome was for

Post by JaxFirehart » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:59 am

The expected outcome was for INSTANT reduction. Roy has hypothesized that the save keeps a backlog of quest stages that it needs to run and so I was saying that, with my first fix, save time might reduce slowly as it works through that back log, but no longer would it increase that backlog.

This doesn't disprove Roy's theory, just means that maybe that backlog was MUCH bigger than I had thought.

If you would, continue testing and playing, make sure the save doesn't gradually get longer again.

Travel back and forth between DC and NV to make sure that the radios still get enabled/disabled appropriately.

Also, coc back and forth once or twice (waiting a few minutes in between, to give the worldspace check time to realize that you have traveled) and see if the radios disable in that way as well (Gribs wrote an excellent script to determine when the player changes wastelands, for the people who can't help but coc)

Thanks rbroab, nice to have you back in the loop.

rbroab

Have been playing around in

Post by rbroab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:07 am

Have been playing around in DC since you posted it. Even after two more quests and two more hours of playing, load times remain quick, Jax.

I'll do a quick travel to the Mojave a bit and come back with any changes.

I'll coc between Goodsprings and Springvale a few times, then load a different save and take the train.

Thanks again, Jax. Really good to be back. yes

rbroab

Went to Goodsprings through

Post by rbroab » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:22 am

Went to Goodsprings through coc and waited a few days. All but one radio work. Mysterious Broadcast plays nothing...but I don't think it's TTW, that station has always been buggy.

Used the console to travel back to Springvale and everything worked as it should.

I noticed that a few radio stations disappeared when I traveled between DC and the Mojave and would reappear when returning to their respective wasteland. But the radio broadcast tower stations remained.

Other than that, everything is going swimmingly. Load times are consistent, but I'll come back when I travel to the Mojave the correct way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.