CROSS-CONTENT DISCUSSION: Harvesting

What's new and upcoming in Tale of Two Wastelands? Find out here.
dandys

CROSS-CONTENT DISCUSSION: Harvesting

Post by dandys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 am

New Vegas added Elder Scrolls-style harvesting of resources like plants etc. to the game that I really like.

An idea I had was to make Fallout 3 have some of that. Obviously, we can't add stuff like broc flowers agave xander root whatever to the Capital Wasteland, but there are some things we could do. I have all the resources to make the following work:

Ant/Mirelurk/Deathclaw egg piles turned into harvestable things rather than containers that visibly have the eggs disappear when you harvest them

turning static Fallout 3 cave fungus into pickable cave fungus like in new vegas and new vegas DLC

also there's a mod I didn't make but I saw called some food mod, it's free to use and it adds Mutfruit and Crunchy Mutfruit pickable plants like in NV, which we could distribute in like Oasis or something although it might be weird

Any of those sound interesting?

JaxFirehart

I actually like all of them.

Post by JaxFirehart » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 am

I actually like all of them. I don't have much experience with harvestables, but I see no problem doing that. Planting new mutfruits and such sounds like a real undertaking in DC though.

chucksteel

Agree, I like this idea! some

Post by chucksteel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 am

Agree, I like this idea! some of the farms or, small towns could have them they don't have to be everywhere just some in places you would expect to see them and, a few in random locations. I would be willing to take this on if people thought it was too much. 

dandys

yeah chuck if you wouldn't

Post by dandys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 pm

yeah chuck if you wouldn't mind you can be the one to do the job since you have the level design background

l'll send you the resources

ElvenScoundrel

I'm OK with this. Heck, it'd

Post by ElvenScoundrel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 am

I'm OK with this. Heck, it'd be nice if the team added some ACTUAL vegetation, and made DC feel a bit more logical, but I fear that's not part of TTW's vision.

JaxFirehart

ChuckSteel has actually

Post by JaxFirehart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am

ChuckSteel has actually started doing this. He and I debated a bit and decided it was appropriate.

darthbdaman
Gary

Definitely do this. The games

Post by darthbdaman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 am

Definitely do this. The games should match up seamlessly, which means adding new features where appropriate.

JimmyFraska

chucksteel wrote:

Post by JimmyFraska » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 am

[quote=chucksteel]

Agree, I like this idea! some of the farms or, small towns could have them they don't have to be everywhere just some in places you would expect to see them and, a few in random locations. I would be willing to take this on if people thought it was too much. 

[/quote]

I absolutely advocate this idea. The design of towns in New Vegas got across better how the wastelanders actually survived there, i.e. what kind of ecosystem the town had. We should see a similar effect in Fallout 3, albeit, some places in 3 shouldn't be so self sustainable (like Big Town). 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimmyFraska

JimmyFraska wrote:

Post by JimmyFraska » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:45 am

[quote=JimmyFraska]

[quote=chucksteel]

[/quote]

I absolutely advocate this idea. The design of towns in New Vegas got across better how the wastelanders actually survived there, i.e. what kind of ecosystem the town had. We should see a similar effect in Fallout 3, albeit, some places in 3 shouldn't be so self sustainable. (Like Big Town. They should look like they're dying.)

[/quote]

Dynastia

Some patches of NV maize

Post by Dynastia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am

Some patches of NV maize around Megaton, Agatha's Hut, Arefu, Girdershade, Tenpenny and that Trading Hub settlement where the caravans come from wouldn't be out of place.