General Discussion of Fallout 3 unrelated to Tale of Two Wastelands
Cyberman

The Pitt, which side do you pick?

Post by Cyberman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm just wondering which side everybody picks for The Pitt DLC

RoyBatty

Re: The Pitt, which side do you pick?

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm

I pick the slavers since Ashur's motives are genuine. Wernher and Midea are liars and just want to take over as well as kidnapping a child from it's caring parents for personal gain is questionable at best and totally wrong at worst, especially when Ashur already plans to share the cure.

Cyberman

Post by Cyberman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:55 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm
I pick the slavers since Ashur's motives are genuine. Wernher and Midea are liars and just want to take over as well as kidnapping a child from it's caring parents for personal gain is questionable at best and totally wrong at worst, especially when Ashur already plans to share the cure.
I kind a get your point. I was thinking about this last night and kinda felt that the mother was realistically the most qualified to experiment on the baby to get the cure. And as far as I'm aware, nobody else there is a doctor. With that said though, they are the only slaver faction I think I could side with.

Callen151

Post by Callen151 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:43 am

I side with Ashur for the same reasoning as Roy. Wernher and Midea aren't doctors or scientist. They want the kid for their own selfish reasons. As much as I hate slavers, Ashur and Sandra by all accounts seem to be loving parents and want to develop the cure for everyone.

My personal headcanon is that my Lone Courier will threaten Ashur that if he doesn't provide on the cure, I'll kill him and all his men and set the slaves free.

Madrias

Post by Madrias » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:47 am

Again, siding with Ashur and his slavers. While they are unfortunately slavers, Ashur is trying to find a cure, and he does legitimately offer up a way to leave, through the Hole. Sure, you're more likely to die in combat, but the fact that you get freed shows that it is a real way to escape slavery.

On the flipside, Wernher and Midea just want to take over, and Wernher pulled a full deception with not telling that the cure was in fact a baby, and in fact comments on that fact and his deception because he figured if you knew, you wouldn't help. In siding with them, I feel that the slaves have no chance, as opposed to very little chance with Ashur. There's no scientists to work on a cure with Wernher, and my head-canon would be that I could see him 'recruiting' a scientist the same way he 'recruited' us to do his dirty work.

So, much as I hated siding with Ashur and his slavers (especially after I took a Fat Man to Paradise Falls and used up all of my mini-nukes...), I feel they're the lesser of two evils. There's a chance to get free by combat, there's a chance he might find a cure, and there's a chance he might re-ignite the forge of industry, and do a little good for the wasteland in the end. And a little chance is far better than no chance at all.

Decker

Post by Decker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:01 am

There is no perfectly morally good alternative in The Pitt DLC - Slavery is wrong, but so is kidnapping a baby.. However, considering that the slavery operation in the Pitt is causing massive human suffering and deaths on a large scale all around the place up to and including the Capital Wasteland hundreds of miles away, and all of this is really done mainly for the personal benefit of a slaver warlord Ashur and his gang of raiders, my Lone Wanderer usually ends up siding with the slaves and killing all of the hostile slavers and raiders.. IMHO if civilization is going to be rebuilt ever, this will not happen with all of these raiders and slavers running around, they need to be dealt with swiftly and decisively. There are no extra resources available to take care of a large violent prisoner population for rehabilitation, and the raiders usually do not surrender anyhow, so the only valid solution is to keep on killing all of the slavers and raiders untill they stop raiding and slaving in the region. The cure is really just a secondary priority here, the orphan baby needs a new home so Midea gets to be the foster mom.

Ideally, if it were possible in the game (it is not), The Pitt could be evacuated of all non-hostile humans, untill a cure could be researched elsewhere (Rivet City Lab or Pinkerton perhaps could help); Hired ghouls and bought robots/turrets (they are immune to rads and disease to begin with) could be brought in to work the mill and defend the fortifications. Workers could be paid with production shares and trade caravans would bring in supplies in exchange for the steel products.