Thinking about buying TES oblivion goty deluxe.

General discussion of any game unrelated to Fallout or Wasteland
idmfan

Thinking about buying TES oblivion goty deluxe.

Post by idmfan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm

New to TES. if oblivion floats my boat, then I'll play SSE or morrowind.

A few questions:

1. Can I beat the game without magics and bows? (melee run viable?)

2. Are STEP guides ok to follow?

3. Overall worth buying? thinking about this and Grim Dawn (a diablo like rpg)

RoyBatty

Re: Thinking about buying TES oblivion goty deluxe.

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Yes you can beat the game entirely with melee.

I would do a first run with the unofficial patch, the mod that delays the DLC, stutter remover and nvac (yes you can use NVAC with oblivion).

I would avoid following any of the STEP guides for it until you've played the game vanilla.

Definitely worth buying/playing.

Madrias

Post by Madrias » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Definitely worth it, I've sunk a lot of time into Oblivion and Skyrim, but Oblivion always holds a special place in my heart for being the first Elder Scrolls game I played, and honestly, the first game to get me properly into PC gaming.

Melee is definitely a viable strategy, actually. I've done many different play-throughs where I limited myself to melee, and found it not to really be limiting at all.

I'll also second just using the unofficial patch and the DLC delayer. (I haven't ever used the stutter remover or NVAC, so... I can't speak from experience on those or not, but I'd assume if Roy's saying they're good, then they're good.)

You need to do a vanilla play before you start pouring mods in, in my opinion, because the vanilla game is decently balanced, and mods can dramatically alter the balance, but once you've played the game once, well, there's a reason I live by the motto "Mod it Until it Crashes, Fix the Crashes, and Mod Some More." You'll want to be using a mod manager (I'll leave more experienced folk to give their recommendations on these) just because otherwise you'll have a bunch of junk in your game folder making it nearly impossible to clean up and try something new.

But Oblivion is definitely worth buying, especially with the DLC. Skyrim's pretty good, too, though it's more action-RPG and less actual RPG.

Morrowind is more closely related to having Character Sheets and a Dungeon Master, complete with the dice rolls in the background. You won't see any, but the RNG can be quite nasty early on. That said, of the three, it's got the best story (or so I've heard. I've never actually gotten very far in Morrowind) and, as said, plays the most like an old-school pen-and-paper RPG.

4891$$

Post by 4891$$ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 pm

idmfan wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm

A few questions:

Yes you can beat the game without magic and bows although you probably want to use a range attack i.e. destruction magic or bows. You can also go the magic route if you want to or combine magic and melee if you want to. Magical combat in oblivion (vanilla no mods) is quite possible especially using alchemy...in fact alchemy is quite effective i.e. poisoning weapons, healing, restoring magic, etc regardless if you do a strict melee or magic build. If you play as a Breton in oblivion your actually very OP later on in the game do to the resistance to magic and extra magic you have. In oblivion Breton is the most powerful race...though all them can be used to beat the game.

If you ever play Morrowind and compare it to Oblivion magic is handled very differently. In Oblivion it regenerates naturally without needing to sleep in Morrowind you got to sleep for it to regenerate so magically combat like throwing fireballs and shooting lightning is much easier to do without exploits or mods in Oblivion. However Alchemy in Morrowind can turn you into a god at level 1 if you know what you are doing and alchemy got rightfully nerfed in Oblivion compared to how OP it was in Morrowind.

Now having said that Morrowind is a very old game and it's like Madrias stated more like a pen and paper game. You don't automatically hit an enemy even if you are standing right on top of them swinging a weapon it's a game calculation based off your skill level if you hit them or not so the animation might have the sword swinging right into the character but it won't always register as a hit. Their are also a lot of other weird quirks with Morrowind being that your character trying to fight casting magic...well sucks to be honest if your not using mods or console commands to give yourself tons of magic due to it not regenerating in Morrowind. Which leads to the weird situation of using the enchanting skill to create things like "pants of fireballs" where you create a bunch of enchanted items with destruction spells on them which you then can use to cast offensive magic.

Another big difference between Morrowind and Oblivion is the fact in Oblivion you can hold a weapon and a shield and cast magic where as in Morrowind you couldn't. So in Oblivion you can throw lightning while running at a dremora and start hacking it with a sword without having to switch back and forth between weapons and magic. In Skyrim which I only played very briefly magic you have to ready but you can cast different spells in each hand which is kind of weird and something I would probably have gotten used to if I played them game for dozens of hours instead of only the one hour I did.

Now is oblivion worth buying? Yeah definitely it's a fun game. The only Mod I really need for it at this point is to get the +5 to attributes every time I level due to the way Oblivion's world levels up with you.

EnderDragonFire

Post by EnderDragonFire » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 am

idmfan wrote:
Whatever floats your boat, but it seems an odd choice to start the franchise with a middle title.

Oblivion is so very different in tone and gameplay from Skyrim OR from Morrowind that it won't really, IMO, be a good indicator for whether or not you will like those games!

I personally hate Oblivion with a passion, but love Morrowind and Skyrim. Morrowind is super oldschool and sometimes very dated and frustrating, but has a great world and great writing.

Skyrim is much more casual, and the writing isn't as good, but the gameplay is much more modern and easy to use, especially for someone with little to no RPG experience. The world is also excellent.

Oblivion is somewhere in-between those two games, and for me personally, it strikes exactly the wrongbalance between classic RPG and action RPG. YMMV.

For me, Oblivion keeps all the worst elements of Morrowing but none of the good ones, and introduces all the bad elements carried over into Skyrim without any of what makes skyrim good. I like a Rum and Coke, or a Gin and Tonic, but don't expect me to drink a Coke and Tonic... and that's what Oblivion is like for me.

"Who are you, who do not know your history?"

Keats

Post by Keats » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:47 am

idmfan wrote:

A few questions:

As a Morrowind fan, all I can say is that Oblivion was a massive disappointment. Just play OpenMW instead.