Fallout: 76

General discussion of any game unrelated to Fallout or Wasteland
ThatOneMajoraGuy

Fallout: 76

Post by ThatOneMajoraGuy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 am

We're all aware thus far of Fallout 76's apparent doom after its atrocious launch... My question though, Is there hope?

Personally I'm just very disappointed by the game, not because its buggy and doesn't work right, but I feel as though It lacks that authentic feel that been fallout 4 kinda had. Being as there are no npcs walking around and barely any way to go about quests without running and gunning I feel like its far too linear. In general I wanted to ask now that the forum is up again where you think the future will take Fallout 76 and how you feel about it in general.

Bottletopman

Re: Fallout: 76

Post by Bottletopman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:36 am

lol I figured FO76 would quickly turn into this
tp for my bunghole?

Decker

Post by Decker » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:16 pm

I would not bet on it getting much better, most of the content necessary for character interactions and meaningful storyline choices and consequences just is not there. The dialoque system is practically just gone entirely.. I am guessing they will be releasing some patches and free DLC items, in a desperate attempt to catch more 'whales' with microtransactions built into the game - Currently it looks like as if 76 is mainly a shameless cash grab rushed out for the christmas season sales before it is even halfway ready.

Problem with 76 is not the aging engine or bugs, it is the complete lack of meaningful RPG content and gameplay elements; No real NPCs, no player choices or consequences, no dialogue system, and a very bad PvP implementation (instead it should have separate PvE and PvP servers players can choose between) - It is a hollow soulless shell of a game. It just does not work, at a very conceptual level.. Sadly, I doubt even modders can save the game this time around, if and when they finally allow modding and private servers for the 76.

As for why 76 came out so bad, I am guessing that marketing people got elevated into project leadership positions over actual production people with the actual skills and knowhow for making good games. Once marketing starts micromanaging the production and is not course corrected somehow, the project typically goes downhill real fast - This phenomenon can cause some of the best devs to leave the marketing-afflicted company for good, which can adversely affect any future games made, causing a falling dominos kind of effect.

Royhr

Post by Royhr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Decker wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:16 pm
As for why 76 came out so bad
Maybe they were just out to make a quick buck not really caring about much else. It's definitely one Fallout that won't see my money.

Madrias

Post by Madrias » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:36 am

To be honest, I'm not even the slightest bit interested in Fallout 76 at the base level of what it was supposed to be.

They failed to consider the value of NPC's in the game. Every other successful MMORPG has NPC's, as far as I'm aware (please, correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge on this particular topic is quite limited. I usually stick to single-player games), and so the instant it was said that F:76 was going to have no NPC's, I lost interest.

If I wanted to play in a giant empty sandbox with friends, where other than the things guaranteed to try killing us, the only people you see are other players, I'd fire up Minecraft. You get all the same things (crafting, building, killing, looting, PVP, PVE, survival, and exploration) and yet you don't get bored of it, because there is no story but that which the players make. I've played a lot of Minecraft, and it can be fun to get a couple friends together and play out a story, just like it can be fun to play alone for the challenge of survival.

The difference is, Fallout 76 seems to have taken everything most players hate about gaming and made a game with those elements. Boring story? Check. Fetch Quests? Check. Over-complicated PVP/PVE system? Check. Bethesda's infamous bugs? Plenty of those. Tell the story, instead of show the story? Yep. Microtransactions? Only thing working flawlessly. Empty world? Of course. Breaking all the carefully created lore? Yep, did that. Cheap asset flip? Looks exactly like Fallout 4, except they've "optimized" the textures.

When people have been saying we wanted a Multiplayer Fallout or Multiplayer Elder-Scrolls game, I'm sure many of us meant "Co-op" and not "MMO". Anywhere from 1 to 4 players, sharing the experience of leaving the vault or otherwise finding their way into the world, killing raiders, talking to NPC's, doing quests. I'm sure there's some who love the idea of Fallout MMO, but I'm not one of them.

About the only good thing about Fallout 76 is that it might shake up the gaming industry by making people think twice about pre-ordering their games. Between releasing at $60 and being slashed to half-price within weeks of being released, requiring numerous massive patches, and being loaded with the same bugs that plagued Fallout 4, plus a few more for good measure, and having absolutely no way to enjoy it solo, Fallout 76 failed hard.

I think it was a slapped-together way for Bethesda to get some quick cash in for the Holiday Season, using minimal amounts of work to get things ready, and instead of being the usual hook, line, and sinker of most MMORPG's, catching lots of people and reeling them in, they've thrown a stinking, rotting carcass into the lake and are surprised when the local fish won't bite.

And no, the engine isn't the problem. Many good games have been made with that engine. The problem lies with marketing, quality-assurance, and whoever thought an MMORPG without NPC's would be a good idea.