Hurricane Irma

Kick back and discuss whatever takes your fancy.
Royhr

Hurricane Irma

Post by Royhr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Well it looks like we might be in for some unwanted weather. I live in Florida near Daytona Beach and it looks like there is no way that we can completely dodge this one. All we can hope for is that it maybe turns north before it gets to us. Some of the latest models are showing that it might follow the same path that Matthew did last year which probably would be the best scenario for us all thing considered since it definitely doesn't look like it will not move far enough east to completely miss us. It would suck but being west of the eye wall is better than being to the east of it or right in it's path which some models also suggest might happen. In any scenario it will only be a matter as to what category it will be when it passe or hits as to what we can expect from any wind or sea surge. After passing hopefully it will turn more east and out to sea before it hits the Carolinas. We don't need another major weather event like what just recently happened in Texas. In any case we just need to hunker down, stalk up on water and get our generator set up and ready to. Only good thing is that we are quite a ways from the coast and for the most part in an area that does not normally flood. So no need to even consider evacuating.

Lyndi

A friend of mine loaded

Post by Lyndi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 pm

A friend of mine loaded everything he could in his car and left Miami yesterday. He's lucky he had a place to go near Atlanta. I live in Virginia and it's been a good 15 years since we've had major flooding from a hurricane and I'm hoping it stays that way. indecision

Hopefully Irma will lose some of it's power before it makes the turn toward Florida.

Best of luck to you and try to stay safe.

paragonskeep

Stay safe. 

Post by paragonskeep » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Stay safe. 

If life is but a test, where's the damn answer key?!?!?

Royhr

Well some of the latest

Post by Royhr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Well some of the latest models show a possibility of it staying a bit further east off the coast from us. But I'm guessing it'll track pretty much the same as Matthew did last year. If it does stay further off the coast then it looks like it might track straight at the Carolinas and Virginia. Whatever happens this is going to impact the US somewhere. No track I've seem has shown it going east out into the Atlantic away from any landfall.

For us we're in good shape. We have a bunch of gas and propane for our generator. Plenty of food and water. And as I said earlier we're quite a few miles inland from the coast in an area that's not prone to flooding. As long as the trees near our house stay up we'll be ok. Most likely we'll loose power and water like with Matthew but we'll be able to hunker down and weather it out.

Royhr

Well not looking good right

Post by Royhr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Well not looking good right now. Updated tracking is showing that Irma has moved or will be moving a bit more west than originally thought and if this is true then it will make landfall near Miami or even maybe a little west of Miami and then track right up the spine of Florida. This will suck because not only will we be real close or in the eye wall when it reaches us but we also might be on the eastern side of the storm which is where there is a strong risk of possible tornadoes which I fear even more than the hurricane. The only good thing about this track is that it will decrease in intensity since it will be over land for a longer period of time. But even so it will probably still be a category 3 which won't be any fun.

Royhr

Well all I can say is that I

Post by Royhr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Well all I can say is that I'm sure glad I don't live in Tampa Bay. Looks like we've dodged a bullet for the most part with the storm tracking further west than initially thought. We'll get a ton of rain and some wind today, tonight and part of tomorrow with the biggest concern being a possible tornado. We are now in a tornado watch which will definitely upgrade to a tornado warning as the storm moves further north. But the west coast of Florida is going to get pounded. And Tampa Bay could be in real serious trouble.

Royhr

Well we survived ok where we

Post by Royhr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Well we survived ok where we are. Just lost power which we are still waiting to get back. All around us the power has been restored but not our particular neighborhood. Thank god for our generator. Keeps our food from going bad. Also allows us telephone and internet. Anyway Sunday night was wild at times with  some strong hurricane force winds and a ton of rain but again no damage at all though plenty of neighborhoods around us had a lot of tree damage. But the most concerning thing during the storm was the constant tornado warnings we kept getting. Actually a couple did touch down not far from us. Fortunately theses tornadoes did only minor damage wherever they did hit. Anyway glad to see the sun and being dry again. Just hope the power returns soon.

Lyndi

Glad to hear you made it

Post by Lyndi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Glad to hear you made it through ok. yes

Royhr

Thanks.... Still waiting for

Post by Royhr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks.... Still waiting for our power to return. Heard rumors that we might not see it for a couple of more days which sucks. But still better than a lot of people in South Florida. They really got hammered.

Royhr

Well power was restored last

Post by Royhr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Well power was restored last night around 7:30. Slowly things are returning to normal though some areas will take much longer. Most businesses are opening up again and schools will be returning by Thursday. But the Florida Keys were totally devastated as well as lots of areas in southern Florida. We have some areas that were hit pretty hard but nothing like down there. It's going to take quite a while for those areas to get back anything close to normalcy.