Anyone play TTW with a 4k monitor?

Kick back and discuss whatever takes your fancy.
idmfan

Anyone play TTW with a 4k monitor?

Post by idmfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:55 pm

If someone plays TTW with a 4k monitor, let me ask something.

Both F3 and NV are old, will the 4k res affect the performance? (Not going to use a texture pack, nor an enb preset. just NVR and its god rays)

Is the budget 4k monitor usable(working well even if i use it long time)?

Zhunter5000

Re: Anyone play TTW with a 4k monitor?

Post by Zhunter5000 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:00 pm

4k does effect performance. These games aren't optimized for high end hardware. My computer can run Fortnite at 900p 30fps but Fallout can barely do 900p. Depends on the specs.

Postal-Dude

Post by Postal-Dude » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 pm

I did play around with it in 4K. I do have the horse power too so don't blame my hardware. And no, ENB wasn't even used. NVR though but this does make very small FPS differences from my experience, perhaps it runs even better with the improved memory allocation...

My result was that in some locations there ARE framedrops. Megaton for example. I think all locations where many people, actors, textures, objects are rendered on small space.
In the Wasteland I nearly always had 60FPS though. Megaton was 40-50 and 30 when shooting people and all getting hostile and shooting you down. Oh and also keep in mind that I only used 4K DSR to 1080p! I think natively running it in 4K is even more demanding, no? I was wondered that DSR works without a single issue though. No UI elements are weird, broken or stretched. It seems like Gamebryo actually does support DSR without a single issue. Not seeing this often with such old games/engines.

I guess the engine is bottlenecked at some point at 4K is just too much for it. You are better off staying with 1080p. Usually anything above can cause framerate bottlenecks due to the engine. Not even a Nasa PC could fix that. Maybe a 64Bit patch would but this will most likely never happen unless Bethesda releases a remaster of FO3 or something and even that is unlikely and even if, they won't change much about Gamebryo. Would make more sense to just build it new in Creation...

Zhunter5000

Post by Zhunter5000 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:18 am

Postal-Dude wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 pm
I did play around with it in 4K. I do have the horse power too so don't blame my hardware. And no, ENB wasn't even used. NVR though but this does make very small FPS differences from my experience, perhaps it runs even better with the improved memory allocation...

My result was that in some locations there ARE framedrops. Megaton for example. I think all locations where many people, actors, textures, objects are rendered on small space.
In the Wasteland I nearly always had 60FPS though. Megaton was 40-50 and 30 when shooting people and all getting hostile and shooting you down. Oh and also keep in mind that I only used 4K DSR to 1080p! I think natively running it in 4K is even more demanding, no? I was wondered that DSR works without a single issue though. No UI elements are weird, broken or stretched. It seems like Gamebryo actually does support DSR without a single issue. Not seeing this often with such old games/engines.

I guess the engine is bottlenecked at some point at 4K is just too much for it. You are better off staying with 1080p. Usually anything above can cause framerate bottlenecks due to the engine. Not even a Nasa PC could fix that. Maybe a 64Bit patch would but this will most likely never happen unless Bethesda releases a remaster of FO3 or something and even that is unlikely and even if, they won't change much about Gamebryo. Would make more sense to just build it new in Creation...
Not 100% sure if you were talking to me when I mentioned specs or not. What I said before wasn't exactly what I was meaning. The game is optimized for low end hardware, heck even Celerons do fine with it. However it's not really optimized for high end hardware so the game can never fully utilize high end specs. For example in Fo3 I can easily play at 60fps when roaming, but combat ALWAYS brings it to the 40s. I've even tried this on a GTX 1050ti and have received the same results. One of many issues with the Creation engine