Therm's Wasteland 2 Review

General discussion about Wasteland 2 and Directors Cut
thermador

Therm's Wasteland 2 Review

Post by thermador » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Been playing the final version a lot since it came out on the 19th.  Played about an hour on an early beta over the summer, but otherwise, didn't play the beta.

Here are my pros and cons, let's keep it short and sweet:

PROS:

• If you loved Fallout 1 and 2, say no more, this is your game.  Get it.

• Rich and detailed world with open map, good level of freedom

• Consequences for your actions, morally ambiguous choices

• Good writing and story, somewhat dark humor like original Fallout games

• Well-balanced combat and gameplay

• Very few noticeable bugs or glitches

• Good in-game text help system that pops up help as you encounter things, similar to FNV

CONS:

• Intimidating character creation screen to start out - no tutorial

• Voice acting is very limited, be prepared to read.

• That said, it's worth reading the dialogue.  Don't rush through things - sit back and enjoy it.  Set the text size to large in your settings.

• Some dialogue inconsistencies depending on the order of topics in a conversation

• For the smoothest read, try to have conversations naturally - don't jump around from topic to topic until you've exhausted one line of questioning

• Some maps are very large, no mini-map available on screen, few map customization options

• Steep learning curve for inexperienced players - having played Fallout 1 and 2 helps a lot

• There is no one protecting you from yourself or your own stupid mistakes - save often, especially before conversations and when exploring.  But it's rewarding as you get the hang of things.

OVERALL:

For fans of Fallout 1 and 2 and/or turn-based RPGs:

• 9/10, excellent game that could do with a bit of polishing here and there.  You should also check out Divinity: Original Sin, which came out recently.

For fans of Fallout 3 / Fallout NV / RPGs, but people who've never played Fallout 1 and 2, or a turn-based RPG:

• 8/10, it's going to be tough to get used to, but it's worth it and you'll probably still enjoy it immensely after you figure things out

For people who've never played Fallout at all, don't like RPG's in general, don't like to read, etc. (why are you on this site?):

• 6/10, you're going to have a rough time getting into this game, and that's OK

TIPS:

My recommendations for Character Generation:

• Try to cover most, if not all, of the possible skills with your initial party of four

• Starting with one point in a skill (other than weapons) is fine for the beginning of the game

• Give each character a different weapons skill so they use different ammo types

• Give one character a decent 'charisma' allocation and 'leadership' allocation if you want a big party

• Give one character a decent 'perception' skill - very handy to have a higher rank of this one earlier.  Keep it on at all times (white circle around the character showing the radius).

• Give more than one character at least one point in the 'first aid' skill - very handy when your medic gets gunned down

• Consider carefully if you really need to give characters more than one weapon skill

• If you do, it should be a melee weapon that doesn't run out of ammo, especially if you are playing higher difficulty levels where ammo is more scarce

• Otherwise, it's more effective to focus on one weapon skill per character

My tips for new players of this kind of game:

• Read my chargen notes above

• Play on 'easy' difficulty to start out

• Recruit Angela at the very beginning of the game, before you leave the Citadel

• Save often

KeltecRFB

In addition, really good

Post by KeltecRFB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:44 pm

In addition, really good Isometric graphics.  And I agree with your assessment.

I haven't played the final release yet.  However, I did see that my WL2 icon has been updated (and probably the game) through Steam.   I've been busy playing SWTOR, TTW, and in Real Life.

"TTW is the Fallout version of The One Ring. The One Ring to rule them all."

"Si vis pacem, para bellum!"

My new favorite, the IWI TC-21 Tavor

paragonskeep

Thanks for the review Therm.

Post by paragonskeep » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks for the review Therm. Will you be doing a "let's play"?

If life is but a test, where's the damn answer key?!?!?

thermador

paragonskeep wrote:

Post by thermador » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 pm

[quote=paragonskeep]

Thanks for the review Therm. Will you be doing a "let's play"?

[/quote]

Haha, no I don't think so.  There are plenty of those out there.

What I'm really looking forward to is when they release the modding toolkit for Wasteland 2.  I think they are also going to release some big expansions if the game sells well enough.

Right now all you can do is custom portraits for your player-created characters (which I highly recommend, because many of the default portraits that come with the game are also used for non-player-created characters).  The best custom portrait gallery I found is here: https://imgur.com/a/QYyax#0 and then you just plop the images in your /My Games/Wasteland 2/Custom Portraits/ folder and launch the game.

KeltecRFB

I agree Gore, all the music

Post by KeltecRFB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:40 pm

I agree Gore, all the music is pretty good especially the main or ending theme song.   I have to put in some time to reset my beta game and play from the start.

PrivateJoker

Definitely needs more

Post by PrivateJoker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Definitely needs more customization options for the player characters.  Priority 1 when/if mod kits are released. Hockey masks, military equipment, brawler body for close combat punks, sunglasses..  and defnitely more beards..  Instead they included really weird stuff like a skirt for male characters and panties for male characters.  Even in a twisted place like wasteland 2, men running around in panties...  indecision

Otherwise great game with the story setting and everything. yes

TJ

PrivateJoker wrote:men

Post by TJ » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:17 pm

[quote=PrivateJoker]men running around in panties...  [/quote]

That would happen in America if it were legal..

My project Dash is on Kickstarter!

KeltecRFB

TJ wrote:

Post by KeltecRFB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 pm

[quote=TJ]

PrivateJoker wrote:

men running around in panties...  

That would happen in America if it were legal..

[/quote]

SIGH ... but the truth.

chucksteel

I haven't been able to play

Post by chucksteel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 am

I haven't been able to play much lately but steam said I had about 200 hours in on the Beta! I can say the bugs are way down and I did my part to report issues as I found them! 

I agree with all of Therm's post.

In my first play of the final release I'm just getting to Domanta and looking forward to see the stuff that wasn't in the Beta. 

The Mod tools should be coming soon from what I read on the Wasteland 2 site. With all luck we will be modding it in the near future. 

thermador

Yeah I am still in Arizona

Post by thermador » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah I am still in Arizona with my playthrough (Damonta).  Going good so far.  Great story and dialogue.