Newb question: Armor mods

General modding guides and authoring tutorials.
sosaythedice

Newb question: Armor mods

Post by sosaythedice » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Yes I know they generally don't work with TTW, however I read that the reason was because they generally require body replacement mods? Is that right? If so what if I tried a armor mod that was a mashup of existing armor textures? I suppose I could just try it, and see if it crashes. It's easy enough to uninstall, but I figured I'd try asking as I'm currently waiting for NV to download once again (slow internet sucks!) and I have nothing better to do at the moment.

jlf65

Re: Newb question: Armor mods

Post by jlf65 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:06 pm

They don't work unless you convert them because they need a plugin to add the armor to the world. Any FO3 plugin needs to be converted to (essentially) a FONV plugin to work with TTW. Some mods are super-easy to convert, barely an inconvenience. There's a thread on converting mods. The ones that are tougher have script that need to be recompiled in FONV GECK as well, and some need their scripts rewritten to work. Generally, that won't be the case with armor mods. They rarely have scripts, much less scripts that need rewriting. If they have a script, it'll be one that adds the armor to certain form lists, which may or may not need changing to match FONV form lists.

sosaythedice

Post by sosaythedice » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:06 pm
They don't work unless you convert them because they need a plugin to add the armor to the world. Any FO3 plugin needs to be converted to (essentially) a FONV plugin to work with TTW. Some mods are super-easy to convert, barely an inconvenience. There's a thread on converting mods. The ones that are tougher have script that need to be recompiled in FONV GECK as well, and some need their scripts rewritten to work. Generally, that won't be the case with armor mods. They rarely have scripts, much less scripts that need rewriting. If they have a script, it'll be one that adds the armor to certain form lists, which may or may not need changing to match FONV form lists.
Meh, sounds like too much work. I've already spent way too much time trying to get mods working with ttw and Fallout in general. I'm now convinced that the best way to play is vanilla. So much more stable! I haven't had a single crash with vanilla ttw!

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Yes, vanilla TTW is very stable. It's nice. But if you're careful and selective, you can still mod it fairly easily. Or wait for someone else to make compatible mods. I'm doing a bit of both right now. In the meantime, vanilla allows you to play through everything once more.

Twahtskie

Post by Twahtskie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:49 am

I can recommend Fafnir's Fallout 3 Overhaul over on the NV Nexus. Adds some new armors, changes the textures of most (is not all) unique items to make them unique. Pretty sure it does the same for the DLC items as well. No degenerate body mods needed and hasn't messed up my game as far as I can tell.