Why are the supermutants insane?

General modding guides and authoring tutorials.
GodSmoko

Why are the supermutants insane?

Post by GodSmoko » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I get that they are suppose to be super mutants and all but they shouldn't be man of steel strong, I shouldn't have to reload 5 times while standing point blank shooting them in the face with an assualt rifle, this is horse shit.
That being said, anyway to fix this? I made the mistake of loading this via vortex but I can't for the life of me find the TTWoptions.esp file anywhere to try to jimmy it in,
is their any mods out or workarounds or anything to fix this bullet sponge, because I'm having a hell of a time finding any, also big thanks for making this just found out about it a few days ago.

GodSmoko

Re: Why are the supermutants insane?

Post by GodSmoko » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

this is for the 3.2 version of TTW

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Use the game mechanics to your advantage, that's what AP rounds are for, and also high damage weapons. 5mm also has natural DT reduction, as well as perks like Shotgun Surgeon. There is also chems like Psycho and Slasher, plenty of other damage increasing perks, sneak attacks, and weapons that completely bypass DT, etc etc.

You can always turn the difficulty down too.

GodSmoko

Post by GodSmoko » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm
Use the game mechanics to your advantage, that's what AP rounds are for, and also high damage weapons. 5mm also has natural DT reduction, as well as perks like Shotgun Surgeon. There is also chems like Psycho and Slasher, plenty of other damage increasing perks, sneak attacks, and weapons that completely bypass DT, etc etc.

You can always turn the difficulty down too.
Thanks for the quick reply, ap rounds are expensive and hard to come by, for me at least. I'm also playing on normal, really they shouldn't be beefed up like this by default it's hard to stomac and I know i'm not the only person who feels this way, it's the first part of the game and I run into 4-5 super mutants in an encounter even while trying to do basic leveling before going into dc. Really I shouldn't have to spend half a day trying to kill 3 baddies. So I can get enough caps to buy 5 ap rounds at a time per merchant restock.
It's a weird way about going through the first part of the game, so i'l just ask again if their is anyway to bypass this and either get a little nerf or make my own nerf?

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm

I upped the 5.56 and 5mm counts at vendors in 3.2.2 already, but in the mean time you can trade with the outcasts for large quantities. Certain vendors, just like NV, have larger quantities of certain ammo and different items for diversity.

They are not difficult at all, it stays how it is. Aim for the head, or use a weapon with higher damage, there is plenty.

I literally cannot die in normal, and can skate through the game in less than 40 hours.

If you want a nerf, open the game settings, turn difficulty to easy or very easy, that's what it's there for.

GodSmoko

Post by GodSmoko » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 am

RoyBatty wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:28 pm
I upped the 5.56 and 5mm counts at vendors in 3.2.2 already, but in the mean time you can trade with the outcasts for large quantities. Certain vendors, just like NV, have larger quantities of certain ammo and different items for diversity.

They are not difficult at all, it stays how it is. Aim for the head, or use a weapon with higher damage, there is plenty.

I literally cannot die in normal, and can skate through the game in less than 40 hours.

If you want a nerf, open the game settings, turn difficulty to easy or very easy, that's what it's there for.
ok, il try it man,

Decker

Post by Decker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Supermutants are supposed to be tough, also in the lore. They are not invulnerable, but FEV mutations have toughened their skin to be more like ballistic fibers, muscle mass and size are greatly enhanced, bones are tougher, and they are highly tolerant to pain.. Appearance might at first glance suggest that they are like orcs, but supermutants would eat orcs for breakfast, literally even. What's more, east coast supermutants are very long lived, and as they get older, they get even bigger and tougher - Overlords can be a challenge, and Behemoths are a valid reason to use a tactical nuclear catapult.

IMHO, TTW 3.2 already gets the supermutant toughness just about right in the game. Assault rifles are not even supposed to be the best weapon to take supermutant fighting; Bigger gun or better ammo are both good ideas.. One easy way to handle the muties is to wield a Riot Shotgun with the perks 'And Stay Back' plus 'Shotgun Surgeon', load it up with 12g magnum buckshot and let it rip. 'And Stay Back' perk knocks them down and 'Shotgun Surgeon' bypasses most of their DT. Another valid solution is the old 'ninja-sniper' method; Sneak around and use a .308 Sniper Rifle to assassinate the mutants with surprise headshots, this requires reasonably high Sneak skill of course as well as proper tactics.

Taking the topic question more literally; east coast supermutants are supposed to be mentally insane because of the raw FEV strains effects - Biological and physical stresses from the transformation causes lasting brain damage, which seems to result in very aggressive kind of senility, cannibalism (supermutants are a genetic subspecies of humans) and other forms of bad group behavior like decorating their dwellings with bodyparts and hanging bloody meatbags everywhere.. Note the difference with west coast supermutants based on the Master's improved FEV strain, 'mariposa supermutants' are comparatively more sane, less stupid and in many cases quite reasonable, they don't do the whole blood and gore camp decor.

darkkira1332

Post by darkkira1332 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 am

With the changes in TTW, Super Mutants as both Roy and Decker mentioned, were toughened.

It does sound good if you consider that in the base game mutants can't use armors thus rendering them buck naked and they have high hp to compensate for that. However lorewise, mutants have thick skin that almosts works as a built in leather armor.

To take out mutants, you can try sneak attacks with a good shot on the head. Laying mines to cripple them as you gun them down works as well.

For weapons, Sniper rifle loaded with .308 AP ammo can deal most Mutant Masters and Brutes. Overlords are a challenge, you might wanna get a plasma rifle or a heavily modded laser rifle to take these guys down. Ofcourse, you can bring a missile launcher, mini gun, or Gatling laser if you want a heavy duty gun. As for me, believe it or not, I'm still using a modded Assault rifle against most mutant threats. I haven't tried the light machine gun but I think it should work as well as long as you have a large stock pile of ammo.

But if you are lazy and gots tons of caps from grinding, just drop them a Mini nuke or two.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm

I only find it hard if I try to use a specific gun all the time with the wrong ammo, like 9mm pistol or smg. That's not going to do anything, if you want to RP like that perhaps you need a mod to add AP rounds to all weapons or a mod like signature weapons.

darkkira1332

Post by darkkira1332 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm
I only find it hard if I try to use a specific gun all the time with the wrong ammo, like 9mm pistol or smg. That's not going to do anything, if you want to RP like that perhaps you need a mod to add AP rounds to all weapons or a mod like signature weapons.
A 9mm pistol/smg against a Super Mutant....You know what, I'll add that to my "Ridiculous stunts I want to try on Fallout for the sake of it" list :D . Btw, by mod, I meant weapon attachments not mod as in game mods. What I meant are things like laser rifle with a beam splitter and such.