Can't hear power attack sounds

General help and troubleshooting.
anstand

Can't hear power attack sounds

Post by anstand » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:34 pm

Player death and hit sounds are working (mentioning this because they use the same Quest).
  • I have checked the Dialogue topics in FNVEdit and nothing is overwriting the Power Attack lines.
  • Nothing is overwriting the sound files used for the power attack animations.
  • Changing the age of the player character didn't bring any results either.
  • Removing the custom weapon animations for some weapons I have been using brought no results
Does anyone else know more about this, or had problems with this as well? Are there other ways to manipulate power attack sounds ingame? I have no idea what else I could try out, and this is driving me nuts.

Bullfrog

Re: Can't hear power attack sounds

Post by Bullfrog » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 am

Stewie's Tweaks have a "bSilentSneakPowerAttacks" parameter, but this only applies to sneak power attacks.

anstand

Post by anstand » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:28 pm

Bullfrog wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:55 am
Stewie's Tweaks have a "bSilentSneakPowerAttacks" parameter, but this only applies to sneak power attacks.
Good call, but stewie's tweaks isn't the culprit.

anstand

Post by anstand » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:02 pm

I am also offering a free Steam game (~50€) for anyone who brings me to the right direction of the problem. :mrgreen:

I am just baffled of why the power attack sounds are not working when the Death and Hit sounds are.

Are Power Attack player sounds tied to something else in the game? Is there a Global that sets the volume of sounds? I need something to work with here...
Removed Hit and Death dialogue reaction kludges, these and power attack dialogue also now fixed in jipln nvse (master jazz saves the day again!)
Hmh, I've also seen this in the patch notes. What exactly does power attack dialogues also now fixed in jipln nvse mean?

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 pm

The player has no voice acting for most sounds in NV, no power attacks, no hit reactions, etc.

Install the mod uploaded to use the Fallout 3 player sounds.

anstand

Post by anstand » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:58 am

RoyBatty wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 pm
The player has no voice acting for most sounds in NV, no power attacks, no hit reactions, etc.

Install the mod uploaded to use the Fallout 3 player sounds.
They are not working either. It seems like as something ingame or on a completely different layer may prevent them from playing.

I had working power attack sounds some time ago (there already were files in the folders that that could be overwritten with the F3 mod you provided), but it seems like they stopped working one day. Sadly can't pinpoint the exact time. Could knvse maybe change something regarding that, or .kf files (like different animation mods)?

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:54 am

Yes, animation files can have sound definitions. If the player installed the animations, but forgot to install the sounds, he will have silent animations.

The sound definition within the animation can point to a sound record within the game data (e.g. Sound: WPNPistol10mmReloadN) or directly to a sound path and file (e.g. SoundPath:fx\Hit\P90BoltForward.wav).

anstand

Post by anstand » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:20 pm

I have problems with all melee and unarmed weapons, so I don't think it's a problem with a specific weapon animation per se. I checked the specific .kf files for power attack animations, but it seems like they are only referencing the overall weapon sound, and not the player sound.

anstand

Post by anstand » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:37 pm

So, this is how my GenericPlayer Quest looks like:

And those are the six Dialogue responses in the Power Attack Sould Dialogue trees:

"0005CFCB":

0005CFCC:

0005CFCD:

0005CFCE:

0005CFCF:

0005CFD0:

Am I completely blind? Am I missing something here? Is there anything else in the overall Dialogue tree that could prevent the character from using the sound lines?

anstand

Post by anstand » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Fucking finally... I found the problem:

Stewie Tweaks:
; add a minimum interval between player pain sounds
bLessFrequentPlayerPainSounds = 0

I had that on 1 and the iMinPlayerPainSoundIntervalMS value was like 100000.

:evil:

I still don't understand why I haven't heard a voice line at least once though. What a cluster fuck...

Still got a question though regarding Dialogues
Is it normal that I only hear one specific Power attack sound every time I load a game? Is that normal behaviour? Does the game choose one from the response tree and stick with it until a new game is loaded?