Out of Memory Issue With Windows XP

General help and troubleshooting.
wasted

Out of Memory Issue With Windows XP

Post by wasted » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 pm

i know i can`t change the directory with Win XP. i click install and after a minute it says "out of memory" or something like that. i have 4 gb system memory, XP OS, gforce 9800 GT 512 mem, amd dual-core 3.11 ghz. checked my virtual file system. it says "initial size=2046, max size=4092". yeah i know i need to upgrade my OS. can`t use steam anymore. i don`t want to mess up my NV install. can`t get it back. FO3 is original dvd media. sorry if this is a stupid subject, but i couldn`t find any topics about this in the forums here. tired of TTW 2.9.4. game crashes when entering moriaritys saloon, with no mods at all. have to wait for Lucy and moriarity outside.

RoyBatty
Gary

Re: Out of Memory Issue With Windows XP

Post by RoyBatty » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm

XP is not supported, upgrade your OS, You can dual boot into windows 7.

wasted

Post by wasted » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am

yeah, no HD space for upgrade. i know there is no more support for TTW 2.9.4, but do you know how to fix the Moriaritys saloon crash problem? have to stick with 2.9.4 for now.

zerokaory

Post by zerokaory » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:10 pm

roy already told you to upgrade, there`s no other way.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:16 pm

wasted wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am
yeah, no HD space for upgrade. i know there is no more support for TTW 2.9.4, but do you know how to fix the Moriaritys saloon crash problem? have to stick with 2.9.4 for now.
You could try NVAC and see if that helps.
Signature:

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:59 pm

I dont remember what was causing that crash anymore, that was years ago.

wasted

Post by wasted » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 am

Risewild wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:16 pm
wasted wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am
You could try NVAC and see if that helps.
yeah i have the latest NVAC. also NVSR (i read some where nvsr is better than tick-fix for XP OS). nvse 5.1.b4, jip 55.41. the problem i`m having= the game crashes when entering Moriaritys` saloon and getting double items in loot containers, dartX16 X2 etc. i have 0 mods installed. oh, i`m using the hot fix patch. heard the V2.2.2 fixes causes problems. i have a patch for TTW 2.9.4 and 2.2.2 fixes, but have not tried it yet.

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:04 pm

I am pretty sure that TTWFixes back then was what contained the fix for Moriarty Saloon crash. So your best option is to use TTWFixes and see if it works.

I have no idea where you could get TTWFixes these days though.
Signature:

streetyson

Post by streetyson » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 am

While XP absolutely rocks, and I still have it (albeit only in a dual boot) for very old games, it really isn't up to a heavily modded FNV like TTW - but perhaps not just because your system is XP but because it's probably 32-bit. Despite what some say, a 32-bit system cannot really be made LAA (large address aware) and without LAA you'll be limited to 2GB of virtual memory for any one application, and thus get lots of "out of memory" issues with old games which would have run just fine as-intended, but once heavily modded (i.e. massively expanded and enlarged - TTW is essentially two games not one) now really need to be LAA (i.e. access 4GB) to run smoothly, or even run at all.

Frankly, your only "chance" is to buy FNV on GOG and try the game's offline installers - you might just get lucky but even that version might require at least Windows 7. And then if it does work for XP just play the games separately without TTW or any other really big mods.

If your system is physically capable of 64-bit and you can still find drivers and BIOS updates etc, you can try dual booting, adding a 64-bit Win7 to your 32-bit XP and the two will live happily. Increase the ram to 8GB - the XP won't recognise more than 4GB of ram, but the 64-bit Win7 will use all 8GB. HOWEVER, dual booting is not for novices - it can be fraught with difficulties even for relatively tech-savvy folks. I'd instead recommend just taking out your XP drive (and stow it for safe keeping) and installing Win7 on it's own on a new drive - and that's if you can even still find a legit Win7 licence any more...

wasted

Post by wasted » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:57 pm

yeah, i think XP rocks too. i can play old dos games (no dosbox) all the way up to modern warfare 2, assassins creed 2, witcher 2.