Black screen after launching

General help and troubleshooting.
SaikotikVixen

Black screen after launching

Post by SaikotikVixen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 am

Hi, all! I ran into an probable issue regarding an ESM file, which results in a black screen devoid of any sound upon launching the game. I assume that the issue is resultant of editing the Broken Steel ESM, as my game functioned properly prior to my negligent editing. Is it possible to restore the ESM in question rather than deleting all files related to TTW, then beginning the process?

For reference, I unchecked each esp. file, then launched the game in an attempt to detect any mods that may produce an issue. Thank you for your time.

UsagiPyon

Re: Black screen after launching

Post by UsagiPyon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am

SaikotikVixen wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 am
Hi, all! I ran into an probable issue regarding an ESM file, which results in a black screen devoid of any sound upon launching the game. I assume that the issue is resultant of editing the Broken Steel ESM, as my game functioned properly prior to my negligent editing. Is it possible to restore the ESM in question rather than deleting all files related to TTW, then beginning the process?

For reference, I unchecked each esp. file, then launched the game in an attempt to detect any mods that may produce an issue. Thank you for your time.
Oh dear I had that happened once. Did you check the "backup" folder if you are using Geck or "FNVEdit Backups" if you are using FNVEDIT? Both folder should be inside the data folder. If there were no backups then I guess you will have to reinstall to restore the original .esms

SaikotikVixen

Post by SaikotikVixen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:38 am

UsagiPyon wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am
SaikotikVixen wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 am

Oh dear I had that happened once. Did you check the "backup" folder if you are using Geck or "FNVEdit Backups" if you are using FNVEDIT? Both folder should be inside the data folder. If there were no backups then I guess you will have to reinstall to restore the original .esms

I checked my backup folder, and it was there! After I changed the .bak file to an .esm file, the black screen of frustration disappeared. Thank you so much for your help! :D

Risewild

Post by Risewild » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 am

Never edit the vanilla masters (.esm) directly. Always make a new plugin with your edits in it instead. :)
Signature:

SaikotikVixen

Post by SaikotikVixen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:45 am

Risewild wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 am
Never edit the vanilla masters (.esm) directly. Always make a new plugin with your edits in it instead. :)
Noted! I made sure to set my esp as the 'active file' in the GECK this time.