TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

General help and troubleshooting.
User avatar
FiftyTifty
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by FiftyTifty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

I'll chime in and say I never had that performance problem. Got an i7 6700k with an AMD Vega 56 running TTW with an ENB; smooth 60 most of the time except in areas with lots of NPCs, which is when it goes down to 50fps at worst.

User avatar
RoyBatty
Posts: 6512
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 am
Location: Vault 108

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by RoyBatty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 am

I dont have NPC problems, just issues with areas like point lookout or certain places in DC. But then I run the game at 2560*1440 with an FOV of 90.
Image

UsagiPyon
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by UsagiPyon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Running a potato i5 on windows 10 with antialiasing off @ 1920 x 1080 :oops: (with FNVLOGEN generating both wasteland worldspace) and the worse offender is still Pointlookout DLC, especially in the forested area :D

User avatar
jlf65
Posts: 1047
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by jlf65 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:12 am

UsagiPyon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm
Running a potato i5 on windows 10 with antialiasing off @ 1920 x 1080 :oops: (with FNVLOGEN generating both wasteland worldspace) and the worse offender is still Pointlookout DLC, especially in the forested area :D
Why do you think FO3 is nearly all dead trees? Tree rendering was still fairly slow and rudimentary at the time. The only green trees in the DC area are in Oasis, which is a small and self-contained world space to try to keep it from bogging down the game. There are a number of "green" overhauls that add regular trees to the wasteland, and they can really slow the game depending on your hardware.

It's a similar deal with FONV. The mojave isn't as bare, but it's also not "lush" by any means. Scrub and cactus and the like. You got more trees in Jacobstown, so it's a bit better than FO3 in that respect.

UsagiPyon
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by UsagiPyon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:16 am

jlf65 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:12 am
UsagiPyon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm
Running a potato i5 on windows 10 with antialiasing off @ 1920 x 1080 :oops: (with FNVLOGEN generating both wasteland worldspace) and the worse offender is still Pointlookout DLC, especially in the forested area :D
Why do you think FO3 is nearly all dead trees? Tree rendering was still fairly slow and rudimentary at the time. The only green trees in the DC area are in Oasis, which is a small and self-contained world space to try to keep it from bogging down the game. There are a number of "green" overhauls that add regular trees to the wasteland, and they can really slow the game depending on your hardware.

It's a similar deal with FONV. The mojave isn't as bare, but it's also not "lush" by any means. Scrub and cactus and the like. You got more trees in Jacobstown, so it's a bit better than FO3 in that respect.
Aye that's true. I like the Point lookout setting (slasher film vibe!) but it is making me noxious at times :lol:

User avatar
RoyBatty
Posts: 6512
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 am
Location: Vault 108

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am

The trees are fine for me in PL, it's the dock that's bad.
Image

User avatar
jlf65
Posts: 1047
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by jlf65 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:41 pm

RoyBatty wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am
The trees are fine for me in PL, it's the dock that's bad.
Me, too. I imagine that the docks are a hideously over complicated mesh that's half the polys for any scene with it in view. :D

I don't think the docks in Fallout 4 are even as complex. I'm a bit surprised that no one did a replacement dock for PL.

User avatar
FiftyTifty
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by FiftyTifty » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 pm

The docks also have a shit ton of movable statics, like the empty paper cups. The draw calls skyrocket because there's just too many.

Same with all exteriors and those tiny rocks that look terrible and have no collision. They look bad, and ruin performance.

User avatar
Risewild
Posts: 2755
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by Risewild » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:13 am

I must be blessed. I don't have any framerate issues in the dock. I do have them in "random" spots in Point Lookout, but not the docks. :shock:
Signature:
Image

User avatar
FiftyTifty
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by FiftyTifty » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:04 am

Risewild wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:13 am
I must be blessed. I don't have any framerate issues in the dock. I do have them in "random" spots in Point Lookout, but not the docks. :shock:
What would be interesting to see, is the draw call count in these problem areas. ENB has a draw calls statistic, so we got that end sorted.

Post Reply