TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

General help and troubleshooting.
RoyBatty

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Such optimizations are out of scope and create massive incompatibilities.

idmfan

Post by idmfan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 am

Try removing old save files if there are lots of lag and stutters. It's easy to do with MO2.
Nevertheless, it seems fps drops in combat are unavoidable, even if I don't use a texture/graphics mod.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm

idmfan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 am
Try removing old save files if there are lots of lag and stutters. It's easy to do with MO2.
Nevertheless, it seems fps drops in combat are unavoidable, even if I don't use a texture/graphics mod.
Disabling muzzle flashes on weapons will help enormously.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 am

FiftyTifty wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm
idmfan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 am
Disabling muzzle flashes on weapons will help enormously.
Well, enormously might be stretching it a bit since you still get slow downs in battle when everyone is using pool cues, baseball bats, and combat knives. Bethesda games just always run like shit during battle. Skyrim wasn't any better, neither was FO4, and FO76 is arguably worse than any of them.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:26 am

jlf65 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 am

Well, enormously might be stretching it a bit since you still get slow downs in battle when everyone is using pool cues, baseball bats, and combat knives. Bethesda games just always run like shit during battle. Skyrim wasn't any better, neither was FO4, and FO76 is arguably worse than any of them.
Fair point, but the engine is really poor when it comes to light performance. Remember how they utterly tanked Oblivion when you took out a torch? And god forbid you go to the Imperial City at night or when it's raining, and the guards have their torches out. Since it's Bethesda's fucked up Gamebryo, I wouldn't be surprised if the constant enabling and disabling of lights is crushing the engine, never mind the poor lighting performance.

I've also never seen a noticeable fps drop when NPCs enter combat. It's only when there's lots of particles and explosions that performance dropped for me; if I had bad fps looking at a group of raiders from a distance, I'd have the same low framerate when their combat AI kicked in.

idmfan

Post by idmfan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 am

BTW, To mitigate my fps drops, should I set my cpu clock and ram speed to auto in the BIOS?
(I use a ryzen 2700 and b450 mobo. They have the latest chipset update)

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

FiftyTifty wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:26 am
Fair point, but the engine is really poor when it comes to light performance. Remember how they utterly tanked Oblivion when you took out a torch? And god forbid you go to the Imperial City at night or when it's raining, and the guards have their torches out. Since it's Bethesda's fucked up Gamebryo, I wouldn't be surprised if the constant enabling and disabling of lights is crushing the engine, never mind the poor lighting performance.
Or that glowing-ghouls-actually-glow mod for Fallout 3 and then you ran into a pack of night ghouls from MMM. That turned even beefy rigs into slideshows. Yeah, there's no question that light sources have always been a huge issue in Bethesda games. Skyrim "fixed" the issue by putting a hard limit on the number of sources processed, so a bunch of lighting mods had issues where when someone did something like take out a torch, other lights in the area would go out. :lol:

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

jlf65 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Or that glowing-ghouls-actually-glow mod for Fallout 3 and then you ran into a pack of night ghouls from MMM. That turned even beefy rigs into slideshows. Yeah, there's no question that light sources have always been a huge issue in Bethesda games. Skyrim "fixed" the issue by putting a hard limit on the number of sources processed, so a bunch of lighting mods had issues where when someone did something like take out a torch, other lights in the area would go out. :lol:
Doesn't New Vegas have the same "fix" for lights? I swear I've noticed the same behaviour in TTWInteriors.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Maybe... haven't noticed. It wouldn't surprise me any that the "fix" in Skyrim was taken from FONV. I tend not to use lighting overhaul mods... other than Street Lights in FO3/NV/TTW.