TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

General help and troubleshooting.
Killerdwarf081

TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by Killerdwarf081 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:51 pm

I just recently Installed TTW and have been experiencing consistent frame drop and stutters. I don't know why it's doing this, as I've done all of the FAQ recommended ini additions/edits, while also having NVSR and NVAC. I'll start up a new game and as soon as I escape the Doc's house, I'll walk away from his door, and within around 10 seconds, the game will start stutter lagging, and will drop my frames from 60, to around 50 and 46 at times. It will continue to do this no matter how long I play, or what I do. again I don't understand why it's doing this, I've had previous TTW versions installed on this same PC, with these same specifications with no issues. If anyone can assist in helping me remedy this, It would be much appreciated. I will post my load order and PC specs below.

PC specs, it's installed on an SSD, if that matters.

CPU - i5-8600k
GPU - GTX 1070
RAM - 16gigs of ddr4

Load order -

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
TaleOfTwoWastelands.esm
YUPTTW.esm
SolidProject.esm
Functional Post Game Ending.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
AWOPDeadMoney.esm
AWOPDeadMoneyVendorPatch.esp
TTW - AWOPNV.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
CASM with MCM.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
JIP companions Command & Control.esp
FOVSlider.esp

RoyBatty

Re: TTW: Lots of lag and stutters

Post by RoyBatty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Check the CASM settings, remove Solid Project, or simply lock your FPS to 30 as the game was intended to have. I hate it but there is nothing I can do about the poor engine/asset optimization.

It runs way better than it used to.

Killerdwarf081

Post by Killerdwarf081 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 pm

I'll try those options, however I'd hate to cap the frames to 30. And a question, I know this probably doesn't matter, but how is your game performance?, just for reference.

Minmo

Post by Minmo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 pm

From what I understand, this framerate drop is caused from the loading and rendering from LOD to add more detailed meches and textures. The gamebryo engine can only pull in so much memory and cpu progressing at once, so the performance takes a hit. ini tweaks and the 4gb patch helps but there's going to be a bottleneck no matter what. To mitigate this I removed all worldspace texture packs, and deleted solid project. It has great features but it does hurt a bit of performance. Instead Grab Vanilla Sprint and few of the currently updated standalone Hud features from Solid Project (Just dynamic crosshair, Just Hit Marker)

Worse case limit your fps to 45 or 30 and fiddle with your v-sync to get it to look less choppy.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 am

If you are on Windows 10, remove NVSR and try NVTF instead.

Killerdwarf081

Post by Killerdwarf081 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:31 am

I'll try all of this, thank you all for the help!

Killerdwarf081

Post by Killerdwarf081 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:13 pm

So, I did some testing, and It turns out that removing NVSR and solid project fixed it. I went with NVTF instead and get much better performance. Thank's for the assistance everyone.

lazynick

Post by lazynick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 pm

i made a similar post a few months back , i also searched every single forum on the internet for the last 3 years about new vegas performance and i found nothing that actually helps.as Roy said the engine of this game is old and it was designed to be capped at 30 fps.i had 8gb ram 1 stick and a fellow forum member suggested to buy 2 sticks of ram i went and did that (2x8 gb) still 0 improvement, ssd might help a tiny bit when new textures and areas load.I wouldn't mind capping the fps at 30 but the stutter is horrible and it gives me a headache.

My biggest complain is the combat, when i shoot an enemy my fps goes to 45 no matter what i do, if i shoot at nothing fps doesn't drop, only live enemies or creatures and only with automatic weapons, i tried to disable combat ai or facial combat expressions nothing helped.at first i thought is was BLEED that caused this because it uses scripts for its effects but again nope , with or without bleed same result fresh 100% clean install went to camp mccarran fps went down to 45 as long as i was shooting the ncr with an automatic weapon.

NVTF and NVSR do nothing about the combat fps, NVTF for me does absolutely nothing, NVSR works a lot better without crashes if you use the suggested settings posted on the FAQ, and if you are on windows 10 but it wont work at 100%. If you are willing to accept the occasional crash but (for me at least) have a waaay better experience you can try version 2 of this https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66063?tab=files. (also nvtf and anvsr without the critical sections at 1 , for me introduces a container lag).

Solid project i also thought it was the culprit for fps drops but that is not the case if you dont use all its features (climbing objects interiors specifically causes script errors and crashes).i tried a fresh install of just new vegas with 0 mods, a fresh install with ttw only, a fresh install with only recommended mods, and at all times i tried with solid project installed and not installed and the resault was exactly the same.

TTW pushes the engine a lot more and it is to be expected for the game to perform worse but i just cant play new vegas and fallout 3 without it. If you want to see the game bend to its knees use a world of pain, oh God on some areas fps goes down to 30 no matter what,but again that mod is amazing and i rather play with 30 fps than not at all.

This is my personal experience,sorry for my bad English as it is not my native language.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Oh no! 30 FPS! Whatever shall we do?! :lol:

You young whipper-snappers got it too easy. I remember in my day when we played our first-person shooters at 6 FPS, and were thankful! ;)

lazynick

Post by lazynick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 pm

You young whipper-snappers : oh i wish... im 38 and i can play alot of games in 30 fps but not this 1. you see a game is playable at 30 fps if the engine can support fluid camera movement but bethesda games are trash in that regard they are unplayable over and under 60 fps. witcher 3 ,mass effect andromeda, gta v ,are some examples of games that are playable at lower framerates without your head exploding by the stuttery camera movement.