The installer is running at a crawl, taking hours... is this normal?

General help and troubleshooting.
idmfan

Re: The installer is running at a crawl, taking hours... is this normal?

Post by idmfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

IvoryOwl wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:59 pm
I have a Ryzen 5 2600x and it took me about 3~ hours to install TTW on an HDD. With the one you have you may want to turn off your computer's hibernation mode and just leave it installing over-night.
It's an off topic but...anyway sorry for disturbing.
Since you use a ryzen let me ask you.
Is it good to run ttw?
Currently waiting for the zen2. Going to use a 4k monitor, zen2, and gtx1060 with TTW, AWOPs and NVGE

CubeMatrix

Post by CubeMatrix » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:45 pm

rbroab wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 am
What do you mean stopped? Did it have an error, or was it just stopped at a file number and stuck there for a long time? This happened to me, but after a long period of time it eventually continued.
It just plain stopped and showed an error trying to access one of the NV files. But I narrowed down my problem, it seems my PSU is about to give up the ghost, it's been acting up and underpowering my drives sporadically. The error produced an undeletable file which I was able to fix after running diskcheck... Anyway... it's not related to the installer at all... more of a system problem that surfaced during the install due to its heavy hard drive usage.

IvoryOwl

Post by IvoryOwl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

idmfan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am
It's an off topic but...anyway sorry for disturbing.
Since you use a ryzen let me ask you.
Is it good to run ttw?
Currently waiting for the zen2. Going to use a 4k monitor, zen2, and gtx1060 with TTW, AWOPs and NVGE
I'm happy with my Ryzen, it can tackle pretty much anything I throw at it without problem, TTW included, but when it comes to Gamebryo it's less about the components and more about luck. This is an old and fickle engine we're talking about, one that is prone to bug, glitch and crash on occasion, even when all requisites are met. With that kind of hardware you're pretty much set though, you could even run TTW fully-modded and still ride it smooth.

EffectsTV

Post by EffectsTV » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:29 am

About one hour with an i7 6700k and game installed on a 500GB SSD

TheRealPsydeffex

Post by TheRealPsydeffex » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 am

the long installation process of TTW 3.2, makes me want to not install the mod. since it's taken me 24 hours to install the damn thing! i am not even joking here
it really took me 24 hours just to install TTW, and only to find out that some of the BSA. files didn't even get installed so i have to redo the whole Damn process again!
as i am righting this now. i am currently trying to reinstall TTW again!
and before you ask anything i have a decent gaming PC.and most games i had installed on it took only a couple of minutes.
and only the TTW installer does this. and nothing else. and it's not even funny it's annoying as i wanted to play TTW again. and no encoding installation doesn't work!.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:31 pm

If it take more than a few hours, you're doing something wrong. Read the FAQ, and look for the many other threads where people complain of long install times and then are helped find what they are doing wrong.

zilav
Gary

Post by zilav » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 pm

"most games i had installed on it took only a couple of minutes"

Most games don't need to reencode 60k audio files. TTW installer is not a game installer, it is a complicated patcher.
You probably have active antivirus checking spawned processes, and TTW installer spawns 60k of them.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Took me a couple hours with an i7 6700k, with New Vegas installed on an NVME SSD and Fallout 3 on a HDD. It's going to be heavily dependent on what type of storage you have New Vegas and Fallout 3 on.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 pm

I didn't time it, but it didn't take me more than 5 hours on an AMD FX6300 (roughly the same as an i5) with a bog standard hard drive. Windows 7 Pro with the virus scanning turned off and running as admin.

I'd guess as an earlier poster did that it's probably the virus checker.