Pip-boy freezes when I open it at certain times.

General help and troubleshooting.
CrusaderTheFirst

I haven't gotten around to

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm

I haven't gotten around to doing the uninstall yet (mostly because I need to get backups for my mods), but I am going to show what my ini's say so hopefully there should be something in there I should fix. (side note, my config numbers are like that because I really hate random crashes)

RoyBatty

[Memory]

Post by RoyBatty » Fri May 12, 2017 8:49 am

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=4000
ScrapHeapSizeMB=1000

This is nonsense, max on the heap is 500mb, but 420 is the largest I've set it and had it stable. That's exactly double vanilla. ScrapHeap is not used in NVSE, this setting is ignored.

NVSR ini

bHookLightCriticalSections = 1

Turn it OFF, this is probably your issue.

bReplaceHeap = 1

Unstable, disable.

bExperimentalStuff = 1

Turn it off.

fMaximumFPS = 0

Don't uncap the frame rate unless you like broken havok. Set it to 60. Or better yet, turn off

bManageFPS = 1

and cap your framerate with your driver.

Your game ini's look fine, other than TTW settings being missing.

CrusaderTheFirst

There's a TTW settings ini or

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 am

There's a TTW settings ini or something? Where do I get it?

Risewild

You need to have TTW ini

Post by Risewild » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am

You need to have TTW ini changes in your FNV inis.

Check the Manual Install guide in the Alpha Download page (it's Step 2). You can use the link "Install" in my signature to quickly go there.

Signature:

CrusaderTheFirst

OK, I updated my ini's and

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 am

OK, I updated my ini's and the freezing problem is still going. I'm losing hope.

CrusaderTheFirst

I did a reinstall of new

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 am

I did a reinstall of new vegas and the problem is still happening. I made sure to back up my mods of course.

CrusaderTheFirst

OK there may be hope after

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 am

OK there may be hope after all. I've been doing some digging and I hypothesize that there are multiple mods I have installed that are causing this problem.

CrusaderTheFirst

I FOUND IT! I finally found

Post by CrusaderTheFirst » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I FOUND IT! I finally found out why I kept crashing all this time!

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35543/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D35543%26preview%3D&pUp=1

This mod was causing all of the frustration I've been having with the pip-boy freezing everything! Do not use this mod! If you insist on removing blur on hit, use this instead: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44486/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D44486%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Thank Gary I finally found the problem!

RoyBatty

Nice :)

Post by RoyBatty » Fri May 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Nice :)

Maniacon_

Re: Pip-boy freezes when I open it at certain times.

Post by Maniacon_ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:50 am

Old post, but the actual solution is pretty simple and does NOT require a clean install.

This crash is caused by the readius or any other pip-coy replacer mod. The solution lies in the uninstall method, because if you do not uninstall fully/correctly the replacer is "baked" into your save and you cannot fix the crashes. Instead follow the uninstall instructions (hopefully) provided in the mod description on Nexus.

Normally, this requires you to load a save previous to the crashes where you CAN open the pipboy still and activate the replacer's setting within the pipboy. We'll use the "Readius" Replacer for example:

1. Go into it's settings under "AID" and select "Uninstall". After selecting the uninstall method, tab out of your pipboy and create a new save (do NOT quicksave, just to be safe) and exit out of your game completely.

2. Go into your Mod Manager (FOMM, Vortex, etc.) and disable the plugin. (You should also go into your Data folder in your New Vegas folder and be sure that the ReadiusNV.esp and it's .bsa are both fully deleted).

3. After this is complete, boot up your game and load the save you previously created and the crashes should be fixed!

I'm unsure if any other replacers (like "Familiar Friend") have an uninstall method within the game itself. But if you follow their uninstall directions that are hopefully in the mod description, you should fix the crashes. Just be sure to load a save where your pipboy works without the crashes, and preferably one where the least amount of progress will be lost.

Moral of the story? Don't use pip-boy replacers for TTW PERIOD they'll just screw most everything up. Instead use a texture replacer for the pipboy as stated by a user above, like the Holographic texture mod.

Hopefully this helps anyone else that has this issue in the future and comes to this thread for an answer. Peace everyone!