Hair Mods/Unable to change hair

General help and troubleshooting.
hendersh0t

Hair Mods/Unable to change hair

Post by hendersh0t » Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 am

Been having trouble with this question. Recently started new TTW playthrough on fresh install of everything. The character creation at the beginning of the prologue looked fine with some custom hair and face texture, but at the time I got to be an adult, my appearance defaulted to the standard preset. Using showbarbermenu, I can't change hairstyle. Using showracemenu [which I just used to troubleshoot], I can't either (even if I change sex). It may be linked to using Mojave Delight which uses some custom races? Although again it worked fine up until the transform to adult. Any help would be appreciated. I'm so early in the playthrough I can easily just start over but I assume it might just happen again. FNV edit couldn't find any conflicts related to hair or face textures, but the conflict is probably somewhere else.

MO2 Load Order: https://pastebin.com/3rnRPG0s

IAreBob

Re: Hair Mods/Unable to change hair

Post by IAreBob » Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 pm

The problem is the fact that your race doesn't have a properly linked child race. The game defaults back to CaucasianChild if it can't find a child race linked to your adult race, then it changes to Caucasian as your character becomes an adult. The method I use is to make a copy of CaucasianChild, make its adult race the custom race, and the custom race use the duplicated child as the child race.

-IAreBob

hendersh0t

Post by hendersh0t » Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks! I'll try doing that.

iSharingan

Post by iSharingan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am

IAreBob wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 pm
The problem is the fact that your race doesn't have a properly linked child race. The game defaults back to CaucasianChild if it can't find a child race linked to your adult race, then it changes to Caucasian as your character becomes an adult. The method I use is to make a copy of CaucasianChild, make its adult race the custom race, and the custom race use the duplicated child as the child race.

-IAreBob
Yeah, um... I was testing this and either TTW/NVSE/JIP LN fixed it or that's not how it works. AgeRace -1 and AgeRace 1 fail entirely if there's no younger/older race specified. As the third note here explains: you can use AgeRace -99 to guarantee the youngest race in a string (or AgeRace 99 for the oldest) relative to a [custom] race. If an adult race links to a child race, it doesn't guarantee said child race links back to the same adult race - which is what you're describing (IE: a custom race has the vanilla CaucasianChild as the younger race, AgeRace -1 will work properly, but AgeRace 1 will set to Caucasian instead of setting back to the custom race). If you call AgeRace and there's no younger/older race to change to in the intended direction, the command is simply ignored.

What likely IS preventing the hairstyle change is probably SetPCYoung - which only allows the default hairstyle for the player's race. This can be remedied by typing "SetPCYoung 0" in the console (which will restore any non-standard hairstyle that was set) - though it might mess with some sections of the game (it's best to let the game revert it naturally).

Don't confuse SetPCYoung for marking a player as Child. The command IsChild only checks if the actor has a race flagged as Child while the flag set by SetPCYoung is only checked by core functions of the game's executable when the player tries to interact with objects (only the "Child Can Use" flag on activators seems to interact with the SetPCYoung flag and there's no script function to check if you're flagged as 'young' - even in NVSE/JIP LN/etc.). Being Flagged as 'young' at unintended times can thus prevent the character from interacting with most objects/activators.

IAreBob

Post by IAreBob » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 pm

iSharingan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am
IAreBob wrote:

-IAreBob
If an adult race links to a child race, it doesn't guarantee said child race links back to the same adult race - which is what you're describing
Re-read my comment.

-IAreBob

iSharingan

Post by iSharingan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 pm

IAreBob wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 pm
iSharingan wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am
IAreBob wrote:

-IAreBob
If an adult race links to a child race, it doesn't guarantee said child race links back to the same adult race - which is what you're describing
Re-read my comment.

-IAreBob
I did. You make it sound like AgeRace defaults to CaucasianChild if no younger race is defined for a race, which isn't how the command works. It silently fails if no younger race has been defined for a race and the actor remains as their original race. Your wording does not convey the correct idea unless the reader already knows how the command works.

Based on context of the original post, yes, the custom race has sloppily been set to have the vanilla CaucasianChild as a younger race in one of the loaded mods, but that had to be intentionally set by the mod author. It doesn't spontaneously upon merely calling AgeRace -1.

TBH, the main reason I said anything is so other users that happen across this don't get the wrong idea about AgeRace (like I initially did). I'm not trying to nitpick wording or make things personal here - just get a precise description of the command's behavior on record for users coming later.

IAreBob

Post by IAreBob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm

I see now what you mean by the way I worded it. Based on the memory I have of using Enhanced Camera and a tattoo'd body (last time I went through the intro was almost a year ago), my character was reverted back to Caucasian by the time Baby Steps started and I could look down and see my character's insanely small adult body (freaky). I assume I completely forgot that race didn't have a properly linked child race at the time and instead used CaucasianChild.

Either way, my initial point about the game switching the player back to Caucasian still stands, regardless of how I misinterpreted it. There has to be a child race that uses the custom race as an adult race, and the custom race must use said custom child race. If either of those are missing during the growing up sequence, problems arise.

As for Mojave Delight having the child race set to CaucasianChild, it's a NV mod. There are no sequences in which the player is a child in NV, so having anything set there is basically pointless.

-IAreBob