Easy way to identify compatible mods

General mod discussion and requests.
Mynamesjeffe

Easy way to identify compatible mods

Post by Mynamesjeffe » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 pm

I assume most of the mods linked on the index page are popular or converted for TTW. Does anyone have advice or a good rule of thumb to identify if a mod is compatible.
Example: If the mod touches (insert file type) it will be incompatible.
As someone who's new to TTW and modding in general it would be great to better understand and not scroll the Nexus aimlessly.
If someone has advice or could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Laclongquan

Re: Easy way to identify compatible mods

Post by Laclongquan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am

Check with the comment section of each mod. We usually asked there if ttw322 is compat.

Another way is find the tagged section tale of two wasteland.

The last is search ttw.

But the 1st method is best. Because the other two csn mislead, what with 294 mod mostly doesnt work with 322.

Mynamesjeffe

Post by Mynamesjeffe » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:18 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am
Check with the comment section of each mod. We usually asked there if ttw322 is compat.

Another way is find the tagged section tale of two wasteland.

The last is search ttw.

But the 1st method is best.
So there's really not an easier way? Scrolling the comments has been my go to method but sometimes it's not in there or I have to got through 15 pages. Also I feel like some mods are obvious they're compatible to an experienced user so they don't feel the need to say. I would love to be able to look at a mods files and understand if it's possible to make work or if it will break the game. Maybe it's not that simple?
I was reading a forum on the topic
"A lot of mods for New Vegas will still be compatible with TTW as long as they don't affect any of the scripts, quests or environments that TTW does. For instance, a mod that adds new weapons, companions or player homes to New Vegas will likely still work with TTW."
But how do I know what scripts TTW affects? I also understand there are thousands of mods that need to be tested or converted.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:51 pm

FNVEdit is generally the first place to go to check a mod. Load TTW and all needed masters along with just the mod you want to check. Find the mod in the left panel of xEdit and click on it. Go through each of the resources inside it, clicking on them. The panel on the right will show info, including conflicts with any other plugins. If the mod has conflicts with the TTW master, it will need to be resolved. How depends on the resource in question. Some are easy, and some are much harder (scripts fall into this category). You need to be fairly conversant with modding FNV, and using xEdit in particular. If you need more help than that, you probably aren't up to converting the mod to TTW.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:12 pm

FNVEdit is indeed the go to tool for this, that was originally it's purpose afaik.

Things that add items to leveled lists and stuff generally are made incorrectly and some of the most incompatible.