Raider or Ranger Female companion

General mod discussion and requests.
Laclongquan

Raider or Ranger Female companion

Post by Laclongquan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am

Suggested quest, background, and name for a new female companion, either raider type, or ranger type.

Location: Evergreen Mills Bazaar, in one of the locked room. ORRRRRR stay beside Smiling Jack, implying he's protecting her.

Name: Kaya Cheryl
(she's a mentioned-only character in an unamed quest in F3, and yes, it's double name, and yes, it's intentional)

Background:

She's hit hard in the head in some recent past. Amnesiac and dont remember anything about her past. You will need to help her recovering.

Her outfit should be unclear to tell if she's Raider, slaver, slave, or mercenary/ranger.

If firing her she will be at your home, or Bazaar with Jack.

Quest steps:

1. Picking her up initiate quest "Searching for Cheryl". Her dialog should mentioned something about Reilly Ranger. Quest target set at RR compound

2. The outdoor terminal in Reily Ranger Compound should mentioned about someone asking around here about missing person. 6 name appear "Cheryl, Myles, Manny, Emmet, Kaya, Henry" and they seem to come from Citadel. This outdoor terminal also offer a search party log of Searching for Cheryl already. Quest target set at "The "western ruins" mentioned in the second log are located to the north of Potomac Bridge, below the festive raider camp. The search party log #3 is in a second burial mound there. To get to that raider camp, travel to Dukov's Place, then go south towards the Potomac Bridge (the only bridge over the big river for miles). The grave can be found between the raider camp and the bridge." Kaya can mutter "so Emmet is dead"

3. This search party log should set quest target at " In L'Enfant South, one can find a burial mound containing search party log #1. After exiting the irradiated metro on the L'Enfant southside, turn right to head east and the grave is in front of the last house on the right side of the street." (A bit off order, but what the hell). "so Myles and Henry is dead"

4. This quest target should be set at "A short distance west-southwest of Jury Street Metro station, the Lone Wanderer runs into a group of super mutants hiding out near a small wrecked train in the ruined trainyard. Entering the container with the shopping cart cages causes a super mutant behemoth to appear from the east-northeast. In this camp, the corpse of Manny Koch, leader of the search party can be found. Apart from the loot on his body, the main reward is a mini nuke on the behemoth."

This time Kaya can mutter "so Manny is dead"

5. Quest target now set on Kaya Cheryl

You can talk to kaya, confirm 4 others are dead and say "and your name is "" choose Kaya or Cheryl depend on your selection.

You can give Kaya/Cheryl different perk depend on her name selection. Like, Toughness, and Gray Matters.

jlf65

Re: Raider or Ranger Female companion

Post by jlf65 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:27 am

So you want an extension of the unmarked quest "Searching for Cheryl" where you actually find her? And convert it into a marked quest? Sounds interesting. It should stick to the "official" quest line as much as possible - maybe right up to where you find Manny's body. Then on his body, you find a note that some of the SM captives mentioned a raider raid that took some of the SM captives back to their "near-by" base. That would lead you into Evergreen Mills where you would then search for Cheryl.

Original quest: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Searching_for_Cheryl

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 am

Yeah, that unmarked quest irk me so very much.

Nothing to start. Every clue is hidden. No living NPC anywhere. W.T.F. Bethesda?

And my intent is to create a doubtful state of Kaya Cheryl. Because she might very well be Kaya who left lately instead of Cheryl who MIA waaaay too long already.

An open state mean it wont be conflict much if anyone else want to do a definite Cheryl OR Kaya character mod.
=====
On the detail,
The existence of Kaya Cheryl is already a big clue in Evergreen direction. With that as clue 1, the other clue would need to be out of original order to have any sense.
And therefore we dont need any more clue on Manny. Because he's dead a bit near Evergreen Mills after all. His location provide a hidden clue~

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 am

I've never heard of that unmarked quest, so I can't comment on it. I'm in Underworld now, btw. About to head to L'Enfant in a bit.

I will say I like the idea of her not knowing who she is at the start and letting the PC choose at the end.

Maybe you could add a little unmarked quest of your own; If you speak to Smiling Jack with a Barter skill of 50, 3 days or so after clearing out the raiders, a hidden dialogue topic could open up where you can invest in his business. Could improve stock or perhaps more logically turn him into a traveling merchant(you killed all his customers after all)

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:57 am

You get a wrong impression of my opinions.

I HATE unmarked quests, in particular the way Fallout 3 did it. if FNV did it, it's never this level of irritating. F3 did it in the way that only highly OCD players can dig up those kind of quests and information, and even then, I suspect Beth need to inform professional guide writers about those things before they notice it.

No events or pc terminals data, no NPC ramble, no NOTHING to initiate or make people curious about possible quests. It's not like conscious design, more like incomplete quest building. Like, the guy in charge of placing items and design cells do this, but the writers can not be bother write more dialog and asking for more NPC.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:30 am

Laclongquan wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:57 am
No events or pc terminals data, no NPC ramble, no NOTHING to initiate or make people curious about possible quests. It's not like conscious design, more like incomplete quest building. Like, the guy in charge of placing items and design cells do this, but the writers can not be bother write more dialog and asking for more NPC.
It's not nothing, though. You have a lone grave with a note to start you off. When you passed by, weren't you even the least bit curious about the grave in small yard in the city where there shouldn't be any? The note wasn't enough to get you to follow it to the next point? There are lots of gamers who ADORE this kind of quest because it makes you think and doesn't hold your hand, with a big helpful arrow pointing every step of the way. People create these kinds of quest mods for FO3 and NV, with just a handful of clues and no quest markers. Granted, there's usually more of a payoff at the end of those quest mods, but you did get the payoff of fighting a Behemoth. :D

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:57 am
You get a wrong impression of my opinions.
<--snip-->
Whatever man.

======
Good luck with Kaya/Cheryl. I think it's an interesting idea and new companions are always nice.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:51 am

Grave? No.

I am a bit of leery of suddenly getting a gravedigger type of thing so I dont dig them up for no reason at all. Also at that time dont have a shovel on my hand. Start carrying it after PLO, which I visit in middle game, 20+ level.

Possibly in Fallout 3 you can dig them up without Shovel, but even so, I dont dig them without reason.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:02 pm

That makes sense, so maybe in your quest extension mod, you add the note pinned to the cross/gravestone rather than being in the grave. No digging needed. That would make the quest start much better for folks like yourself. Maybe something similar at the other graves, too, since they also require you to dig them up for the notes. Allows you to be respectful of people's graves. A small change, but a nice one.

And instead of quest markers, perhaps add a symbol that the group uses to mark their way in case someone comes after them... or maybe Cheryl left the marks to help the group she KNEW would come after her keep track of which way she was going.