Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

General mod discussion and requests.
Laclongquan

Re: Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

Post by Laclongquan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm

Pacifist runs only possible if you have working fatigue damage system, AND set difficulty to easy. Beside metagame like mad, of course.
+++ With fatigue system, you can knock out targets without killing them.
+++ With easy diff, the above can happen more easier. With VH diff, for example, they will hit harder, and you cause less damage. With long fight in such conditions, mistakes do happen and often~
+++ Even worse, it practically cry for going solo, because your companions will kill your targets.

Pacifist generally goes against game design because it make a large portion of gameplay obsolete (combat and equipment design), which mean devs' works go down the drain~

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm

Pacifist runs are possible in FNV on Very Hard/Hardcore, you don't have to select "easy" just because you aren't shooting back. In terms of equipment, you'll still hunt for specific armors in order to complete the run. You'll need high DR/DT when you need to pass through areas with people shooting you and you'll need something light for sneakier moments.

As far as companions go, the whole game was balanced to be completed without them anyway. I personally enjoy having a team so I had to rebalance the game in a way that Boone didn't just murder everything for me as he will do in the base game. I wouldn't call running without companions to be a drawback of a pacifist run though.

More to the point, almost every quest in FNV can be completed through speech checks or political maneuvering and not violence. That's the whole point of a pacifist run. Quests with as many options as possible for completion are usually the best quests. If you want to take the easy route and shoot someone in the face, that's fine. If you want to take the longer, more difficult route that ends without violence, then that should be an option. Take King's Gambit as an example. Look up how many ways there are to complete that quest if you're unaware. It's brilliant.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:16 am

Or Khans' Oh My Papa. The whole damn quest is a chain link to all other khan quests.

VonTrupka777

Post by VonTrupka777 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Lyndi wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:10 pm
Pacifist runs are possible in FNV on Very Hard/Hardcore, you don't have to select "easy" just because you aren't shooting back. In terms of equipment, you'll still hunt for specific armors in order to complete the run. You'll need high DR/DT when you need to pass through areas with people shooting you and you'll need something light for sneakier moments.

As far as companions go, the whole game was balanced to be completed without them anyway. I personally enjoy having a team so I had to rebalance the game in a way that Boone didn't just murder everything for me as he will do in the base game. I wouldn't call running without companions to be a drawback of a pacifist run though.

More to the point, almost every quest in FNV can be completed through speech checks or political maneuvering and not violence. That's the whole point of a pacifist run. Quests with as many options as possible for completion are usually the best quests. If you want to take the easy route and shoot someone in the face, that's fine. If you want to take the longer, more difficult route that ends without violence, then that should be an option. Take King's Gambit as an example. Look up how many ways there are to complete that quest if you're unaware. It's brilliant.
That's exactly what i meant. Using speech to pass the quest or avoiding human npc by sneaking if talking is out of option. Just make sure the locations have a suitable amount of dark corners. Wonder if it's possible to make light sources destructible
Last edited by VonTrupka777 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VonTrupka777

Post by VonTrupka777 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:26 pm
Pacifist runs only possible if you have working fatigue damage system, AND set difficulty to easy. Beside metagame like mad, of course.
+++ With fatigue system, you can knock out targets without killing them.
+++ With easy diff, the above can happen more easier. With VH diff, for example, they will hit harder, and you cause less damage. With long fight in such conditions, mistakes do happen and often~
+++ Even worse, it practically cry for going solo, because your companions will kill your targets.

Pacifist generally goes against game design because it make a large portion of gameplay obsolete (combat and equipment design), which mean devs' works go down the drain~
Personally i prefer playing pacifist this way. Not killing humans but creatures and animals like geckos, feral ghouls, ghost people etc are ok. That way i still use combat and equipment and earn reasonable amount of exp. I disagree on fatigue damage you can still avoid enemies by sneaking if the location allows you to