Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

General mod discussion and requests.
Colonel_Campbell007

Re: Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:58 pm
The quest giver should, preferably, be a white blonde girl.
+ Because you have Casdin as white male, Morgan and Rockfowl as blacks already. So for balance, white blonde girl is where it's at. Failing that, redhair work, too~ Otherwise, Nolan as black will tilt the color balance heavily in one direction~
Actually Casdin is Asian and Rockfowl is white. Morgan is indeed black though, so if racial and gender balance is needed Nolan could become a blonde Hispanic female named Noelle, haha.

I'll add a blonde in the quest(s) somewhere. Maybe as an Enclave officer who you cross paths with in a later quest?

One thing I want to add is a situation where the player and an Outcast temp follower(like Sticky) are looking for some pre-war relic and encounter a BoS knight after the same relic. The Outcast knight and BoS knight have words and the player then has an opportunity to choose sides. Depending on who survives you could recieve a different perk/armor/weap/something and they tell you to keep quiet about this(so this won't impact MQ story). I think this would be interesting.

Speaking of additional quests do you, or any else who may stumble in here, have ideas for additional quests that Nolan(or Noelle) could offer? I was thinking that finding the lost patrol would just be the start of series of quests that eventually lead to a battle between the Outcast and Enclave but I need to fill in the gap with the why and where to get there.
Last edited by Colonel_Campbell007 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:04 am

1. Hispanic Noelle works too. Generally, as long as it's not heavily skewed toward one skin color it wont affect general perception.

2. General, all out, war between Outcasts and BOS wont happen because they are only conflicted about some minor things. And their top boss are long time combat partners(elder Lyon and Casdin), so they will sit on their subordinates.

3. BUT minor fracas to solve longtime minor conflict of personalities will happen. I mean, you think about it. You have your long-time colleagues . You hate his selfishness, his only care about the job, and vice versa he hate your compassions, your tend to care about things outside of the job, "feature creep" as a description of your working attitude. Now there's a chance for you to bloody his nose would you take it?

4. So if there's fight between members of two sides, they will be careful not to let killings happen. So if killings happen, it's more likely the survivors will kill witness than buying you off.

5. In which case, if you survive their attacks and kill them yourself... it's much better to keep things quiet rather than report back to person in charge of two sides. MIA happen to both side, after all. Why? Because you kill the survivors, that's why. both sides are lacking members so you killing them, no matter how justified, will sit poorly.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:52 am

Speaking of additional Outcast quest

In the same vein of Casdin, but collecting Outcast outfit (armor, helmet...) only. And trade for specific items:
+ Rum Nuka (very rare +AGI alcohol only buyable in CW bars) Nuka Quantum (rare +AP items which can be used to craft)
+ Black Coffee (+AGI drink only craftable in Mojave) (Outcast has link with west coast so they can access to something from there)
+ Rocket chems (+AP drug, craftable but the key ingredient is limited)

Reason:
+ This quest showcase outcast attitude toward wastelanders: "you are going to look for high tech items and we are going to give you trinkets for it".
+ It offer a different alternative to Casdin, who collect all high tech things but this Nolan only collect Outcast prefix items.
+ It offer a way to expensively acquire rare items without breaking CW economy. You should offer very expensive rate of exchange. Grit your teeth on it~ You want player to groan about this shark of an Outcast. That give personality.
+++++How expensive? half a dozen of trade item for one outcast PA, that's how cut-your-own-throat it is. Early to middle game player wont need this one. but late game players are swimming in cash and unsold PA. They will accept the trade.

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:52 am
Lyons doesn't want all out war with the Outcast( and neither do I :) ) but some of the chatter you hear around the Citadel suggest other BoS members may feel differently. And perhaps some that do could have a personal score to settle as well, like you mentioned in your 3rd point above. That's closer to the situation I had imagined.

You see I'm imagining...
SpoilerShow
My char and my Outcast buddies(killable) reaching the vault where the distress signal is eminating from. We enter guns blazing, fighting waves of irradiated BoS Knights-turned-ghouls who have been driven insane. The Enclave rushes in behind us; each side searching for the BoS scientist thought long dead. And the answers he has....

As we enter the research labs, we stop at the security office to look for supplies for the long trek through the labs and the boss fight that surly lays ahead. We are aproached by some of old sap Lyon's boys(also killable.)

Of course they got here first. The signal was broadcast on an encripyted BoS frequency. This whole damn freak show was a BoS op gone bad.

Their leader is some up-jumped local. Calls himself Ser Gallagher now, but his real name is Figs. He says me and my mates have screwed up his chance for a promotion because we let the Enclave in...

Like we could roll the damn vault door back in place by ourselves. Hell, he let everyone in - and the crazy BoS ghouls out! The moron....

1) Do we team up?(act honorably or betray them later)
2) Do we fight them?(start yourself or goad them)
3) Let me think about it.(wuss)

As for betraying BoS, perhaps you could suggest a route for the BoS that you know is dangerous. Or set a trap via terminal later.

Just like in real life, violence and betrayal should have consequences. These consequences will be limited in scope, however.
Later on, I was thinking it would be kool to join the Outcast. You'd need a few to vouch for you to convince Casdin. It may be stretching the lore a bit, but it would balance things in comparison to the BoS as you can join them already.

Also, I'd be neat to have 4 other Outcast squadmates that you can form a squad of three with(so only two outcasts at a time). You could take them with you during battle for Project Purity and Broken Steel.

Trading Outcast armor for stuff might work; add some exclusive weapons and armor too, maybe even a challenge for aquiring all the new gear. It'll just be retexures though, not new models. Although I'm not sure how feasible that exchange rate would be without a spawn mod.
Last edited by Colonel_Campbell007 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 am

Oucast is... doubtful to have new local recruits.

If they have local recruits in their rank, Outcasts would naturally have more sympathy with local situation and more willing to help.

Since their opinions are very firm: get high tech, and leave local business to locals. To the point of seceding from BOS Eastern over it.

I doubt they have any local recruit in their group from the beginning, or allow any to join later.
------------
As for minor fracas between small groups of both sides to the point of death.

It's possible because both side have so much MIAs.

But since they dont report about killing incidents, each incident must be extremely careful disguised that nobody discover a tiniest hint. Otherwise tensions between two group would not just at level of hot language and tussles.

That's why I said, they are more likely to kill outsider/witness than to bribe you for silence.
---------
You want Outcast companions?

Why not set it up as YOU lead them to quest location, retrieve quest item in a container.

As long as you DONT take quest item into inventory, they are still have to follow you anywhere, right?

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:40 am

Laclongquan wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 am
I doubt they have any local recruit in their group from the beginning, or allow any to join later.
True, but it's some fun fan fiction. Besides, officially joining the squad isn't forced; it would be post-quest, initially hidden by multiple checks(perhaps including one you can't meet for about 3 years...) and you have to click on it. Edit: It'd probably be in a later patch or add-on too as building the core quest line will be enough work.
Laclongquan wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 am
---------
You want Outcast companions?

Why not set it up as YOU lead them to quest location, retrieve quest item in a container.

As long as you DONT take quest item into inventory, they are still have to follow you anywhere, right?
In theory. But after the first 48 hours you have to pass a speech check each day to convince them that 'We're almost there!'

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:17 pm

I wanna add an elite Outcast squad made up of the best of the Outcast like how the BoS have the Lyon's Pride.

Does anyone have any ideas for the name of the squad? I was thinking about the Exiles but that sounds kinda silly....

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 am

He sure is an ass, and that's plenty reason to kill an NPC in Fallout games before.

BUT.

We were awaiting the big reward from Outcast at that point. We should have reasons to fear that killing him will interfere with our rewards. So we can wait for a while.

From story reason, we really shouldnt kill him at that point.

It's when he tried to renege the deal and try to kill everyone that favour us... that give us a reason to kill without penalty.

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:38 am

I have a clearer idea about the direction I'm heading with this project. I cleaned up my OP a bit and added some additional details. I don't want go into too much detail about the main quest's storyline though. It's supposed to be a mystery after all. ;)

I see this as a long-term project; many of the things I wish to do I've never attempted before in the GECK. Others, I have done before but never as part of a larger Quest mod with many variables and multiple quests. I'll be learning as I go. Thankfully, there are some really great tutorials out there. :mrgreen:

Obviously, it'll take quite some time to come together the way I want it to(if it ever gets there...) I plan to work on it over the summer and fall. I'd like to have a 'beta' version for people to try this winter. We'll see.... :D

VonTrupka777

Post by VonTrupka777 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 pm

I'd love to see some pacifist options. FNV can be completed without killing any humans after all. Too bad there aren't any fan made quest mods that allow it. Also what about options for sneak based characters? Seeing some quest mod focus on stealth segments would be great and original. There are so many run and gun mods already. Ofc it could be optional