Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

General mod discussion and requests.
Colonel_Campbell007

Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 pm

I was watching the movie Event Horizon the other day; it's a SciFi/Horror about a space ship on a classified mission that goes missing, only to suddenly reappear several years later, broadcasting a distress signal... that got me thinking....

I've always wanted to make a Quest mod involving the Outcast as I've always felt they're a bit underrepresented in FO3 (and non-existent in FNV). So I thought the idea of recieving a distress signal from a source that had been considered KIA for several years could be an interesting and mysterious starting point....

[In the Beginning...]
SpoilerShow
After the player gains the Outcast's trust by trading enough tech with Protector Casdin, he mentions that an Outcast Scribe has requested your assistance on a top secret operation and allows you entrance into Fort Independence to speak with them.

Upon meeting the Scribe, they explain that several years ago the BoS sent a squad of hand picked soldiers on special mission. However, they went radio silent and where assumed to be KIA.

Recently, the Outcast have heard reports that a distress signal is being sent out on a frequency used by the lost BoS squad. They want you to find the signal's source, search for survivors, and most importantly - bring back any technology the lost squad may have uncovered. They confide that the Outcast are simply too few and streached too thin to do this themselves.

The Scribe also warns you that the Outcasts aren't the only ones who are receiving the distress signal... The BoS are certainly aware of the signal, and you can bet the Enclave will be searching for it as well....
[An Outcast Companion...]
SpoilerShow
During the mission you are introduced to Knight Xavier; an old Outcast veteran who is assigned to help you investigate the mysterious signal. Your decisions and actions during the mission will impact his attitude towards you.

Xavier has personal Quest of his own; As you travel across the wastes of DC, Mojave and other locations with Xavier, you'll may stumble across unique technology that may interest the Outcasts. Collecting this technology with Xavier present will earn you his respect and unlock extra features...
[A New Enemy...]
SpoilerShow
As you investigate the signal, you will encounter former BoS Knights who have been turned into crazed ghouls by exposure to advanced radiation. These BoS ghouls have been driven insane and will attack anything on sight with powerful energy weapons. They seem to have special hatred for humans and in particular those use Power Armor and advanced technology like the Outcasts, Enclave and BoS.

But where are they coming from? How did this happen to them? Are their attacks random and their hatred for those who use technology a byproduct of their insanity; or do they act with purpose? To find the answers, you must first find the signal.

[ I'm planning create them using a custom Ghoul race equiped with Power Armor and a new voice type with only screams and feral sounds - they've been driven mad and can't speak anymore. ]
[Planned Features...]
SpoilerShow
+ An New Companion --> An old tough-as-nails Outcast knight who will watch your back as you roam the wastes collecting technology.

+ 3 Part Questline --> At the moment I'm only planning three quests for the main Outcast questline.( a beginning, middle and end to the story... :D )

+ New Enemies --> Insane BoS knights turned ghouls who roam the wastes, hunting down all those who use advanced technology.

+ New Outcast NPCs --> Including an elite squad comprised of the best of the Outcast.

+ Side Quests --> As you continue to assist the Outcasts, some additional unmarked quests will become available.

+ Power Armor training, if not already received else where.

+ Being officially invited into Fort Independence without the need to break in. ;)

+ New Perk(s)
[Possible Features...]
SpoilerShow
+ Become a full-fledged member of the Outcasts.

+ New Outcast gear( probably just custom textures, not all new models )

+ New Challenges related to Outcasts gear.
If anyone has ideas for the story, quests, NPCs, features, etc., let's discuss them! :)

** Some of the posts below may reference story details or ideas I had previously written above in my initial idea pitch **
Last edited by Colonel_Campbell007 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:02 am, edited 22 times in total.

Laclongquan

Re: Idea for an Outcast quest... your thoughts and advice?

Post by Laclongquan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:22 pm

MQ has us extensively sweeping MoT, and usually we visit MoH (for ghoul shops). So we will have access to your quest quite involuntarily.

Either you can set up so radio signal ONLY appear after we talk to quest giver, or you are going to have a problem.

------------
Quest giver can be a female (eye candy) in Fort independence building, patrol around the area right before the main door. Not FI ouside because what if spawns attack her. Not Outpost because that would force player to ONLY get that quest if they visit there. What if they just dont want to visit there until they damn well have reason to be (roleplaying)(I only visit there once I feel like wanting to get PA training).

More importantly, what if they decide to side against Olin? Just because?
------------
You can set that quest target (the Outcast corpses) in the streets of Olney to imply that they were killed by DC while looking for Tesla coils. When found and loot the corpses, a platoon of Enclave soldiers spawn on the area to imply that they also chase after that, too.

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:22 pm
I want the quest to be flexible so finding the radio signal before the meeting the quest giver should be possible. It won't cause issues as long as the quest giver's dialogue runs checks to account for it - like how if you run straight to Tranquility Lane from Vault 101 and save Dad, then grab the dish from the Museum and *then* go to 3 Dog. 3 Dog doesn't glitch, his dialogue and your reward simply change.

You bring up some goods points though about things I hadn't considered. Namely Olin/DLC Outcast possibly being dead. I haven't played Anchorage sense my Xbox 360 days. Best to steer clear of them being directly involved but definitely want Quest Giver to acknowledge they exist/comment on them.

Also Quest giver location; you're right, if they're at the outpost people may simply never meet them. Additionally if they're *inside* Fort Independence then that could cause problems as you have to swipe the key or pick the lock to get in - unless TTW unlocks the door when you're 'good' with Casdin? If it doesn't, I'll have Casdin give you the key. Actually, he could mention the Quest giver at this point also - it'll add more logic as to why he's giving you the key to their base.

I think that makes a lot of sense actually; you find tech for the Outcast and once you've earned their respect they let you inside and give you a special assignment ( finding the lost patrol ).

Also Enclave ambush! I hadn't even though of them. Definitely adding an Enclave ambush at some point! That would force at least part of the quest back until they show up though....

But perhaps that's for the best - the quest could start with a radio signal that you can find anytime after leaving the Vault (if you complete this part first before meeting Casdin and crew, you'll earn the Outcast's respect plus entrance to the Fort without the need to collect tech first). Then as you progress through the FO3 MQ line, more quest will become available from Outcast Quest Giver(they really need a name, lol).

I appreciate your ideas, you've given me a lot to think about.

[Edit]
<--snip-->
Last edited by Colonel_Campbell007 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:41 am

TTW lock the FI building even with relationship at friend. And the door is red.

If you want she's outside, best to let her inside the perimeter, behind Casdin where its safe, because two defenders would leave their posts to go to sleep.

The problem of letting NPC hold info is voiced dialog.

You can avoid that by letting FI building (and outcast outpost) terminals holding info.
------
About enclave spawns. The reason you need to spawn a big patrol when picking up final quest target (oucast corpses) is to create a FINAL-BATTLE moment. you can add more during the progress, but the final one has special role in quest, to create a crescendo among the luls.

Kinda like how Anchorage final moment is the battle among Outcasts and not the battle with Chinese force. Because you can shortcircuit that one but not the outcast one.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:58 am

Kind of off topic but you can skip the ending outcast fight after Anchorage too. Don't have to fight them at all.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 am

I know. I intentionally sneak out of that building, get a good well earned sleep at My Home, eat something, fully chem up... Before return to initiate that fight.

It was a good fight for that stage because most others are in good armors (I dont wear PA at that time), heavy weapons. I have to reload twice to keep Olin and mr chief safe.

The Chinese one? I speech the Chinese General so there's that~

Colonel_Campbell007

Post by Colonel_Campbell007 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:41 am
TTW lock the FI building even with relationship at friend. And the door is red.

If you want she's outside, best to let her inside the perimeter, behind Casdin where its safe, because two defenders would leave their posts to go to sleep.
Yeah, putting Quest Giver inside FI seems to be for the best for all reasons you mentioned plus I put a dish and some equipment outside it didn't seem right so I scraped it.

As for getting in, having Casdin give you the key plus ask you to speak to Quest Giver is the route I'm going with. I can cut/splice together some generic dialogue for that. His dialogue will be vague and non specific but it should be okay. You'll have quest marker anyway.
Laclongquan wrote:
The problem of letting NPC hold info is voiced dialog.

You can avoid that by letting FI building (and outcast outpost) terminals holding info.
Adding some supplementary info to terminals is a good idea, but I'd honestly prefer a voiced Quest Giver for the quest proper. I brought a mic specifically for doing VO in mods so I'll voice the Quest Giver's dialogue myself. Hopefully it won't be awful, lol. On that note I've set up a template NPC for the Quest Giver. He's an Outcast Scribe named Nolan. Race is currently African-American but that may change. If the VO just sounds terrible I'll scrap it and stick to terminals like you suggested.
Laclongquan wrote:
.... FINAL-BATTLE...
Totally agree. Also it'd be nice to see the Outcast fight the Enclave too...

About Anchorage --> I used to run an evil Asian female character back then and I had an idea for a mini mod where if the player's race is Asian then the general's speech check would be much easier to pass because he could presumably understand you better. Also had other ideas using Asian race checks for the player in other dialogue situations like the funny commie at Tenpenny, Chinese ghoul that runs up to you in DC, etc. Still think that's a kool idea.(Edit: probably going to play with a no-nonsense Asian chick on my next run anyway so'll I probably do this)
Last edited by Colonel_Campbell007 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Laclongquan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:35 am
I know. I intentionally sneak out of that building, get a good well earned sleep at My Home, eat something, fully chem up... Before return to initiate that fight.

It was a good fight for that stage because most others are in good armors (I dont wear PA at that time), heavy weapons. I have to reload twice to keep Olin and mr chief safe.

The Chinese one? I speech the Chinese General so there's that~
I mean you can stealth kill the guy with the bad voice actor before entering the sim. When you get out, there is no mutiny. You walk in, get your stuff from the vault, then leave. You don't have to have that big fight at all.

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Oh, that~ I remember some others talk about that trick before but I ignored it There's no story reason to kill him before, and it's not as if I fear a big battle anyway

in fact, we should look for big battles wherever and whenever we can~

==========

Back to the quest.

The quest giver should, preferably, be a white blonde girl.
+ Because you have Casdin as white male, Morgan and Rockfowl as blacks already. So for balance, white blonde girl is where it's at. Failing that, redhair work, too~ Otherwise, Nolan as black will tilt the color balance heavily in one direction~

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:08 pm

There's plenty of story reason to kill him. He's an ass. In Fallout that means he deserves to have his head removed by a power fist.

Anyway, the point is the best quests give the player options. One reason FNV is so beloved is the number of ways to deal with situations from just running and gunning to using other abilities to avoid a fight altogether. FNV was never about "big battles." Any quest mod will provide the player with options for situations.