TTW and armor mods?

General mod discussion and requests.
sosaythedice

TTW and armor mods?

Post by sosaythedice » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 pm

I have yet to find a straight answer on this. I want to know if weapon and armor mods work for TTW (Specifically armor mods)? Obviously they would have to be NV mods, and I read somewhere that if they require a body replacer that's no good. However the post was unclear about whether other armor mods, ones that don't require body replacers, work or not.

The reason I'm asking instead of just trying, is I've already installed/uninstalled NV a couple times now because of having trouble modding TTW. I don't use a lot of mods, but I think maybe the one (and only) armor mod I use may have been causing crashes with TTW. Before I uninstall/reinstall again so I can try it (you need a fresh install for TTW) I'd like to know if anybody has had first hand experience with this?

Thanks for reading

UsagiPyon

Re: TTW and armor mods?

Post by UsagiPyon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

The post you read about "armor requiring a body replacer is not good" is pure nonsense. Every armor needs a base body to be built upon especially so on armor with exposed body parts. Requiring a specific body type is because that armor was build on said body which needed matching hand/glove meshes and "fitting" textures for it to look right.

I have tried almost all body types available on nexus as well as on lover's lab and the worse thing that could happen using them were just misalignment, neck seams and wrist-gaps. Straight answer? In general, armor mods that were done properly will of course work with TTW not counting user error (which was 90% of the time)

Done properly? In this sense:
The model (.nif) itself should not have any problem and were rigged properly,
If there are scripts, it should be done properly,
Textures path for said armor should be done properly, texures/omgmod/lmao.dds AND NOT c:/pepedesktop/really/steam/FNV/data/textures/omgmod/lmao.dds
Textures should have generated minmaps,
FO3 armor mods should be converted properly over to NV standards.

And how would I know if they were done properly?
Check nexus comments on past issues,
Check yourself via Nifscope/3DMax,
Check yourself via GECK/FNVEDIT,
Reconvert textures yourself with paint.net (its free!)

And if I can't be bothered?
Post whatever specific armor mods you are using and wait for people who have tested them themselves to reply.

sosaythedice

Post by sosaythedice » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm

awesome that's good to hear! thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 pm

Also, if you have to reinstall NV because of a mod, you're clearly not using Mod Organizer 2. I'd suggest moving to that as it allows you to add and remove mods without ever touching the base game files. The only parts of TTW that would go in the base directory are NVSE, JIPLN, and the ogg codecs, which would go there anyway for a base NV install (they're not TTW specific).