Mods: Game-breaking vs mild bugs

General mod discussion and requests.
SirDanest

Mods: Game-breaking vs mild bugs

Post by SirDanest » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:47 am

Some mods with ttw are very seriously incompatible, causing really big issues.
I am not sure, but I suspect, that there might be some mods though that while technically incompatible, only cause a small minor issue rather than a major break.
Not really sure where that line is though. There are some small tweaks and such that I might put up with for a "valuable" mod, but I wouldn't want to try any mod that would completely smash the leveled lists, ctd, or leave big red "!" everywhere.
Is there anyway to know ahead of time which incompatible mods are very seriously broken, and which, if any, cause only minor problems?

UsagiPyon

Re: Mods: Game-breaking vs mild bugs

Post by UsagiPyon » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 am

I don't think there is a way to know ahead of time unless someone was experienced in modding (Be mindful of those fake gurus) or an esper.

You can:
- Look at the incompatible list for a start. Yes it is being updated in a subtle way from time to time.
- Do some research/Googlefu/stalk nexus mods comments/comments made here in the past on similar mods, sometimes there are solutions hidden in the sea of posts.
- Post queries on the mods in question and wait for people who have experience in them to answer you.
- Ask/PM mod author (if they are still around) and please be respectful when you do without a demanding tone.
- Check for conflicts in FNVEDIT, usually mods that modifies the same stuffs will/might break something if you don't patch/solve it.
- Sometimes the conflicts were not as clear cut so you have to check the scripts in the mods too.
- Dive in head first (with backup) and try the mods out and see what effect they will do. MO2 is best for this I guess and heed the triangle warnings.

The above are what I usually do when modding TTW. No mods in existence is perfect, yes even those converted by the good people here. There are times when a mod is said to be "broken" but it is just an exaggeration. My personal cutting line on a mod is that they do not break the main features of TTW (e.g, train sequence) and the main quests line.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Yeah sometimes it's personal preference as to what you are willing to put up with. For me if it breaks the iron sighting on weapons, causes crashes, messes up animations, screws up navmeshes, causes teleporting, breaks quests/dialogue or other strange things, then it's broken and not to be used. The incompatible mod list reflects that.

SirDanest

Post by SirDanest » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Ack, I meant to respond to this much sooner.
So, what would happen if I tried running a big weapon mod, like Millenia's, with TTW? Especially with a bashed patch to combine modded levelled lists?

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:31 am

Its not exactly well done and has crashing issues of its own, I would fix it but I can't take on projects anymore to retain my own sanity.