What's Your Least Favorite DLC, and How Would You Make It Awesome.

General mod discussion and requests.
rylasasin

Puppettron wrote:

Post by rylasasin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:14 pm

[quote=Puppettron]

so... your complaints with DM are "i don't know the difference between punishment and risk/reward challenges"[/quote]

No, the point is "What reward?!" Risk is all fine and good if the reward is worth it.

In Dead Money the rewards are either nonexistent or don't even come close to outweighing the risk. The only semi-worthwhile items you'll find are the light version of the OWB armor (I'll come back to that btw), a more useless version of the LMG, and mods for the holorifle. And that's pretty much it.

[quote=Puppettron]and "unlimited money is not a reward"[/quote]

What? When was this a part of dead money? What unlimited money?

If you're talking about Voucher exploits, then no I don't count that because that's an exploit. IE Not an intended part of the game. If you are talking about the gold bars I just outlined what was wrong with that: the fact that you can't take most of them out of the vault without overencumbering yourself and therefore not being able to get out of the vault (again without exploiting. Because if you have to exploit it's not a valid part of the game.)

If you're going to exploit (ie cheat), then why even bother at all? If you are going to cheat, you might as well just use the console and be done with it. Besides, if you have to point to exploits as "valuable rewards", you are pretty much grasping at straws.

Though if you just mean the respawing vouchers... I'd hardly call it "unlimited". You are in fact limited by the amount of time it takes to respawn them, and the amount each can spit out. 

Besides, by the time you reach a high enough level to actually survive dead money (the game outright tells you that this mod shouldn't be attempted till your level 20 at least) odds are you are either already swimming in cash and/or have a massive hoard of stuff to sell on a moment's notice. 'Unlimited' money is hardly useful when you already have more caps than you know what to do with.

[quote=Puppettron]

also "light armor with sneak on it is inferior to med armor with sneak, a couple of stat boosts, the medical armor script, and a robot voice that doesn't shut up"

[/quote]

Pretty much, yes.

Assassin suit has sneak +10. That's it.

SSMII at full upgrade has:

+25 sneak

+1 Agility (so that's +2 more sneak)

+1 Perception

+20% movement speed while sneaking.

Oh sure, it can't take advantage of light armor perks, but honestly the +27 sneak and the +20% movement speed while sneaking make up for it.

Puppettron
Gary

let's assume you're terrible

Post by Puppettron » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 pm

let's assume you're terrible at Dead Money then.  as a terrible dead money player, you can be expected to get 2 gold bars, at least 3k pre-war cash, and a recipe to turn scrap metal + fission battery into 50 chips.  if you don't cash out into pre-war cash, though, you've got several k in chips, which can be turned into more stimpacks than you could ever sell.

then if we up you to "not terrible", then you can gamble, and suddenly you have 20k chips to mess with and a 3 day respawn on a 1k free chip voucher in your mailbox.  plus at least 2 gold bars and all the pre-war cash you'd like plus a cheap method of getting chips to turn into whatever the fuck you want.

perms:  either a full fireworks display spelling out "Puppettron Made This" anytime a user accesses my content in-game, or just give me credit somewhere.

JaxFirehart

Can we just agree that this

Post by JaxFirehart » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Can we just agree that this thread is purely subjective and not a place to persuade one another?

Personally I love DeadMoney because I play games for the story, and DeadMoney tells a great story.

Fact is, NONE of the rewards for the DLC are worth it because most of the DLCs are hard to survive until you've got a few levels under your belt. Is the OWB Stealth Suit an awesome bit of armor? Yeah, but I'm almost always 20+ by that point and, if I'm going the sneak route, sneak is already maxed out.

Puppettron
Gary

bah, i'll move back to what i

Post by Puppettron » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 pm

bah, i'll move back to what i was doing.  yes, Paragon, i did see the hotel, and i think more of it would be awesome.  stealing tanks would be neat, but i think that'd involve XRE or something there.  taking over the guns in anchorage would be a lot simpler than you're thinking.  those guns are pointed down to where all the action is happening, it's not like you'd have to aim them much.  difficult thing would be "put the artillery on the map where you need it".

perms:  either a full fireworks display spelling out "Puppettron Made This" anytime a user accesses my content in-game, or just give me credit somewhere.

tacitus

Mothership Zeta!  Not

Post by tacitus » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:36 am

Mothership Zeta!  Not necessarily for the reasons already mentioned but mainly because its potential was wasted; I was expecting a true awesome adventure and I got a rather boring  linear tale.

Second least favorite is Lonesome Road because I found it pretentious.

Third is Honest Hearts, which I found plain boring.

Risewild

Just a note about the gold

Post by Risewild » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:38 am

Just a note about the gold ingots in Dead Money, they are there exactly for the reason of not being able to take them... Dead money is supposed to teach the lesson that greed is deadly bad, and like many movies and series already show, if you are in a dangerous situation and have to decide, if you are greedy then you will die with the loot or you learn that life is more valuable and drop the loot and you will live...

Also I like how dead money has several melee weapons one can craft using the knifes, after all, melee weapons are usually a bit lacking, sure there are powerful ones, but while we have so many guns, explosives, energy weapons we are always reduced to so much less variety in melee weapons.

Having a replicator machine all by ourselves after beating dead money is also nice, and getting that dust/mist whatever to craft some stuff is also nice too.

I am not trying to change anyone opinion here, I am just pointing out some rewards that no one mentioned before cheeky although most of them are not big rewards and most people do not use melee weapons, I do so I like it laugh.

Signature:

Puppettron
Gary

kinda what i was driving at

Post by Puppettron » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:25 am

kinda what i was driving at there, rise, before i got consumed with needing to be right.  the idea that the reward for a DLC should be some sort of OP armor or weapon is kind of silly, especially as the game goes on and your awesome equipment from one dlc is completely overshadowed by the gear from the next which is a pittance compared to the one after that... gear's nice, but when the automatic gear gains at the end of a DLC is the only reason you're doing it, then there's something dreadfully wrong.  something some of us can fix, probably.

paragonskeep

The DLC's should be

Post by paragonskeep » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:29 pm

The DLC's should be compelling making you WANT to do them not "get this crap over with to get item X". They should also "feel" like the story matters and integrates fully so it doesn't feel like an add on. Broken Steel and Point Lookout "do" this other than no companions to PL that boat is big enough for Fawkes. I know the "spirit" of TTW is to merge the vanilla games, so it's up to mods to fix any of these issues. Since I'm not a modder some of these things may not be doable. 

-OWB references to Zeta. They would arguably know about an alien spaceship. 

- Zeta should be less repetitive blow up A now blow up B now blow up C 

- Pitt beat down (which has been discussed) is just dumb as it is. If wearing PA should have pulse weapons used and other plausible aspects of How you were beaten down. A "railroad" is not a "hook". (Sorry too many bad GM's in the past)

-OA @Puppet, wasn't thinking of using XRE or any mod to steal the Chimera, have that just "happen", you're not the driver just the procurer. Honestly I think there should be more soldiers and bigger battles, this is suppose to be the liberation of Anchorage the biggest battle in recent history (Medal of Honor style)

I know there are limitation due to whatever is hard coded and what voice files or animations are available. Once I replay these I'll take more detailed notes on each and try to come up with scenarios for improvement. Although everyone has their own ideas of "improvement" so........

If life is but a test, where's the damn answer key?!?!?

Puppettron
Gary

oh, so you mean "fullfill

Post by Puppettron » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:10 pm

oh, so you mean "fullfill objective, 'win' a tank" sort of thing then?

paragonskeep

Yep something like that. 

Post by paragonskeep » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:32 am

Yep something like that. 

"You picked mission number two. ................YOU WIN A NEW CHIMERA" 

But not quite that cheesy. 

If life is but a test, where's the damn answer key?!?!?