Tale of Two Wastelands and Various Modding Questions

General mod discussion and requests.
ajihu

Tale of Two Wastelands and Various Modding Questions

Post by ajihu » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Hey guys!

Long time Fallout player from the PS3/4 trying to get into the modding community of PC-world. I'm curious if I can buy the games as discs off ebay or whether they need to both be bought digitally in order for the mod to work (as I understand you need both).

Furthermore, modding has never been a specialty of mine, the closest I got to it was modding Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast and that took........a lot longer than I wanted it to. I know it's probably a lot of trial and error but considering I want to add a lot more mods and stuff, would it just be worth playing the games separately so I can mod them without the TTW overhaul once and maybe go back and do the overhaul? I'm not sure what exactly I want to do modding wise (probably better graphics and such as well as music additions, quest additions, character editing, console command stuff, and so forth).

Thanks for all of the help in advance considering I'm new to this whole this and even though 24 is young.....I think it's kind of old to get into this.....I don't deal with coding or computer interfaces very often so any help is greatly appreciated.

Kurt91

Re: Tale of Two Wastelands and Various Modding Questions

Post by Kurt91 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:14 pm

If you mean just downloading and installing mods, a YouTuber who goes by "Gopher" has a very in-depth, practically idiot-proof set of tutorials on how to do so, and a set of tutorials specifically for TTW.

I honestly don't think you can buy FO3 and New Vegas on disc anymore, at least I've never seen them. Steam's summer sale is going on right now, it actually started today. You ought to be able to buy both games rather cheap.

As far as whether you should play both games separately, that's up to you. I would personally advise using TTW for your first playthrough. It's more stable than normal FO3, and if you play the games separately first, you're going to be replaying a lot of content. If you want to go back and play the two games separately, but modded to hell and back, that would be best for your second playthrough, in my opinion. TTW's FO3 half relies on people porting mods from normal FO3 before they can be used, and so it's much more limited in that regard compared to playing FO3 by itself. (However, the fact that New Vegas mods naturally will work most of the time makes up for the Quality-of-Life stuff). Similarly, a handful of extremely popular mods for New Vegas aren't compatible with TTW because they conflict with the fixes that TTW makes. For instance, WMX adds hundreds of weapon mods to the game, giving three to every single weapon you can get, and is a lot of fun to play with. However, since TTW makes changes to the weapon models and animations, WMX is not compatible.

TL;DR - Watch Gopher's tutorials, buy the games on Steam now since they're on sale, play TTW first, then separate playthroughs of the two games for the unique mods you can't use with TTW.

Laclongquan

Re: Tale of Two Wastelands and Various Modding Questions

Post by Laclongquan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:52 am

After a long time playing fnv you would feel the urge ti play fallout3.

How long you play fallout3 after already playing fnv is... ymmv.

Myself, that would be 30-40 hours. Full srt of mods included