NCR MP Trooper Helmet Red Error

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
iRoboFw0ggy

NCR MP Trooper Helmet Red Error

Post by iRoboFw0ggy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:36 am

Hello! I made an account to look for help.

I'm testing my TTW modpack and game and noticed that the NCR MP Trooper Helmet is missing, it's the typical big red diamond with an exclamation point. It appears to be the only thing missing that I've seen yet.

I turned archive invalidation off, then back on, it still appears missing.

I'm pretty sure it isn't my other mods, as I've run TTW through the GECK and when I try to see its biped model it's an error, but when I run it under vanilla FNV, it appears.

What is the issue? How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Lyndi

Re: NCR MP Trooper Helmet Red Error

Post by Lyndi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:28 pm

It's a busted mesh that is caused by one of your other mods. Someone else on here was having a problem with a mesh from a replacer mod but I can't recall which one right off.

EDIT: It was wasteland clothing HD retexture causing the problems in the case of the other person. It's probably a similar replacer mod in your case as well.
Produces the programming equivalent of coffee stains.

iRoboFw0ggy

Post by iRoboFw0ggy » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Okay I'll test that out but at the same time I did say I went into the GECK running only TTW and it's a giant error IN THE GECK so...probably not. I'll test though.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:52 am

If the broken mesh is in the game folder then the GECK will pull the broken mesh just like the game does. The GECK doesn't just ignore whats in the meshes folder.

iRoboFw0ggy

Post by iRoboFw0ggy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 am

Nope.

Because there was nothing in the meshes folder in my NV install. There isn't even a meshes folder.

And I already said that Vanilla NV pulls up the mesh just fine. TTW does not. Error.

I fixed it.

TTW was making the helmet reference a mesh that didn't even exist.

There is no "MP trooper helmet.nif" mesh. Only the trooper helmet mesh.

So I pulled it from the BSA, made a file path so it could reference it, then properly selected the alternate textures.

Made my .esp, deleted the file path with the mesh I had just created (so it cannot reference a mesh in the folder, it'll pull it from the bsa proper) and tested.

Problem solved with a fix .esp. No additional meshes or files or folders necessary.

So nope, not my mods! TTW bug found and squashed.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

Very weird how no one reported it over the last several years. That seems like something someone would've noticed. You did actually install the update packages didn't you?

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:24 pm

Updates were not installed that fixed it.