Fresh Steam GOTY F3+FNV "Installed Fallout 3 is unsupported"

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
BezelEdge

Fresh Steam GOTY F3+FNV "Installed Fallout 3 is unsupported"

Post by BezelEdge » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Hey folks, feeling a little nostalgic and spotting an excellent deal to grab both F3 and FNV cheap on steam to relive the good old days playing TTW a few years ago on a laptop that later died.

Hitting a brick wall on the v3.2 install.

I've tried renaming the folder. I've redownloaded the game twice. I've run integrity checks.

Both F3 and FNV are, obviously, brandspanking new installs. Have booted them up just to see if they run vanilla (they do, flawlessly)

Hoping there's some sort of fix or something simple I've overlooked as I've spent some time going over previous threads where people have had this issue as well as RTFM, indeed watching TFM on youtube too.

Relevant screenshots below, thanks for your time!

IAreBob

Re: Fresh Steam GOTY F3+FNV "Installed Fallout 3 is unsupported"

Post by IAreBob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 pm

From Discord
We are aware that the latest update to the Steam version of Fallout 3 does not work with the installer. The reason being is, the executable has been recompiled so the installer does not recognise it as valid.

We'll keep you posted on how this situation develops, but until then, you should use the GOG version of Fallout 3 as that still works with the installer.
There is an announcement on discord linking to a download to downgrade Fallout 3 back to 1.7.0.3 (as 1.7.0.4 is unsupported by 3.2).

-IAreBob

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 pm

duriel

Post by duriel » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:28 pm

I'm going to try it and see if it works.

thx