In-game item values being a few caps off their actual value

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Bottletopman

In-game item values being a few caps off their actual value

Post by Bottletopman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 pm

FIXED: If not using YUP 12.1 (which you most likely will not be since TTW has an older version of YUP), change game setting fItemConditionValueMult - 0.0316 is the default value, YUP 12.1 changed this to 0.031622 and now stuff actually represents their value, huzzah!

I've had this bug for the longest time, and normally I just ignore it, but tonight it finally activated my almonds enough to warrant this post.

Does anyone else have an issue where item values in the game are always off by a few caps? Like a 5,000 cap object will always show up as like 4497 or something like that. Or my T-51b helmet would show as 1999 caps, instead of the GECK/FNVEdit value of 2000.

I swear years ago I brought it up and it was something to do with some value/number rounding or something. It actually disappeared for like a month on my own playthrough years ago then it came back and I was just like "oh well it was nice while it lasted."

But if there is a fix for this I'd really like to know, because I just can't seem to find anything on google. Maybe I need to dump more points into google-fu skill.
Last edited by Bottletopman on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tp for my bunghole?

jlf65

Re: In-game item values being a few caps off their actual value

Post by jlf65 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Maybe they're not at 100% condition. The condition of an item affects its price.

Bottletopman

Post by Bottletopman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:11 am

Oh they're definitely at 100 condition. Got jury rigging perk, meaning the moment it's repairable I repair it. Because jury rigging perk has an unmentioned effect of inducing OCD when it comes to item health.

Even items added via additem command suffer from this.

Something worth noting however - it seems like the lower an item's value, the more accurate it is. Got a 200 cap unmodified plasma pistol at full condition, and it shows up as 200 caps in the pipboy. However...when I do player.additem weapplasmapistol and hit enter (didn't enter quantity or item health percent), it shows up as 200...but the condition bar isn't 100% (using VUI+, which has a feature where an item at 99-98% cnd, the bar actually has a more visible gap unlike in vanilla where the gap may only be 1-2 pixels wide, so as to better indicate not-mint condition).

Now I do remember one of the official patches doing something about weapons not actually being able to be repaired to 100%, being 1-2% off so as to not break something...I can't remember what though. Turns out it was patch 1.4.0.525 - repair kits can no longer repair to 100% condition (items are instead repaired to 99.9% condition in order to avoid possible crashes). But as mentioned, I don't use repair kits, that's what the jury rigging perk is for heh. I was wondering if that change could affect all repairs, although that being said...I have a full condition T-51b helmet at 1999 caps instead of 2000, definitely full condition as indicated by that VUI+ feature regarding items at 99-98%.
tp for my bunghole?

Laclongquan

Post by Laclongquan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:40 am

Even repair using other items (same type or otherwise) can lead to such situation

It look 100%, but its value is off a few cap value.

It's a matter of repair formula. If 100% is reached, but repaired value is not equal base, it will change.

This thing is a known issue, at least to repairman player, and have habit to sell to merchants that keep bought items (like the Sink).

Not a bug, exactly. Just a dis-synergy between repaired value with repair formula.

The same way Seagraves always late to his stall in Rivet city due to talking a lot in weatherly hotel. That is a dis synergy between code "talk if pass by NPC" and the too tight space of Rivet City.

Bottletopman

Post by Bottletopman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:20 am

Laclongquan wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:40 am
Not a bug, exactly. Just a dis-synergy between repaired value with repair formula.
That would technically be a bug...otherwise what else would be the point of setting a value if it never reaches it. But anyway, just wondering if anyone has ever tried fixing it, or maybe even the JIP plugin could fix it? It's done some pretty crazy stuff once thought impossible.
tp for my bunghole?

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:10 am

This was fixed in JIP already, you must have some mod overriding the floating point fix.

Also items can only have max 99.9% condition.

Bottletopman

Post by Bottletopman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:42 pm

Ages back I made a comment on the JIP mod thread about this and JIP said that that floating point fix wouldn't affect item values, from what I remember. But I'll try turning off mods to see which one causes that.

Update: that 99.9% thing may or may not be causing it - either way, there's some very interesting behaviour. Turned off all mods save for NVSE plugins and base ESMs required for TTW to work. Giving myself a fat man via the additem command gives me a fat man at 99.9% condition every time, and dropping then picking up that fat man does not change its value/hp, remaining at 5987 caps. But using additemhealthpercent weapfatman 1 1 - gives me a fat man at 100% (as per getweaponhealthperc cmd) and a value of 5996 caps, dropping that fat man doesn't affect its value, but when I pick it up, its condition is curiously degraded to 99.0% and the value drops to 5906 caps.

I decided to move all NVSE plugins to a different folder effectively disabling them, save for the ttw_nvse.dll plugin, starting a new playthrough and added myself a fat man with the methods mentioned above - still the same thing. Seems like it's just part of the base game. I found a gamespot thread covering the same issue, dated January 9 2011 so it seems like it's been happening even before the patch that capped max condition at 99.9%.

Doing a bit more digging, Unofficial Patch NVSE Plus apparently fixed this, but that fix was since removed as of YUP 12.1 since that apparently fixed that. However, TTW includes its own version of YUP and I'm not sure what version that is. TTW's YUP version is definitely older than YUP 12.1 heh. It's apparently a non-nvse fix however, which gives me hope as now I'm very interested in applying it to my own game.

update 2: ooooh, very interesting bit from YUP 12.1's changelog: - Fixed Item Condition Value to 6 decimal places instead of 4, due to a limitation in the GECK. Now to poke around and see how I can get this done.

Update 3: aww yissssssss, fixed it! Game setting fItemConditionValueMult - 0.0316 is the default value, YUP 12.1 changed this to 0.031622 and now stuff actually represents their value at max condition, woohoo!
tp for my bunghole?