NPC Idle Dialog/Chatter Sound Distance

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
rbroab

NPC Idle Dialog/Chatter Sound Distance

Post by rbroab » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Decided to play TTW again. Got to the birthday party, shooting the Radroach with the BB Gun, and I can hear all of the npc dialog and conversations from upstairs. Was it always this way and I remembered things differently? Or did some .ini file get edited at some point?

I've started using headphones, could that be the cause? Hearing npcs upstairs through the floor, or through rooms is really distracting. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

RoyBatty
Gary

Re: NPC Idle Dialog/Chatter Sound Distance

Post by RoyBatty » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:59 pm

I've never experienced that.

rbroab

Post by rbroab » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:53 am

Neither have I. In 10 years of playing Fallout, I've never encountered this. Googled it and I came across one other person who posted the same problem on reddit a year ago, but never got a response.

Tried without headphones, and replayed the birthday scene. While I was at the furthest place in the room, the Mr. Handy cutting the cake, Butch, Amata, and Wally Mack were doing their dialog, and it was all as if they were right in front of me. Kind of jarring when all the voices are playing at the same volume no matter where I walk in the area.

Any ideas what controls the volume of npc chatter in relation to distance?
I'm not alright, I'm an equal amount of left.

RoyBatty
Gary

Post by RoyBatty » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Really sounds like a driver problem.