Okay, this is an SOS =P

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Himself

Okay, this is an SOS =P

Post by Himself » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 am

Hello fallouters!
It is nice to be back here, got some time to adventure in the wastes =D

To my extreme sadness, I've been getting a screenfreeze/game stop responding kind of crash that happens randomly, but I can reproduce it quite consistently (in probably less than 10 minutes) on a barebones TTW.
I tested both FO3 and FNV for some 30+ minutes of running around and shooting stuff, but after throwing TTW in the mix the deathfreeze comes, dunno why since TTW doesn't do agressive changes AFAIK.

Tried reinstalling both games and TTW a few times and every tweak you can think at inis/mods/enb/driver/runtime/videocard setup... really done a lot of testing, been trying since June.
Kinda out of options :cry:
I'm a medium to advanced user regarding FO3/FNV + mods, should -hopefully- know how to properly clear and restore inis/folders, altough I've also tested in a fresh win10 and win7 partitions, issue was present there too :/

FO3 and FNV from GOG, both come updated to latest patch and in English, as it should be.
(also, tried to get both games from another source just to check if was anything with my copies)

Altough I tried mostly everything, if you guys and gals got any tips, please share!

EDIT: SOLVED

Following the logical conclusion, problem surely was on my end :oops:
Uninstalling and reinstalling all C++ Visual Studio runtimes seems to have solved it! Had to grab directly from microsoft and run 1 by 1 (previously had an auto installer that did it all, so much for laziness eh)

And just to clarify, for reference, if somebody has the same issue in the future:
You gotta reinstall TTW (and maybe possibly both games) after changing the C++ libs.
Last edited by Himself on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is a cruel joke that man was born with more intent than life.

idmfan

Re: Okay, this is an SOS =P

Post by idmfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am

I use a Ryzen computer (the x570 and 2700) too, followed this text guide and the game seems to work.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LEB ... ypHpI/edit
(FYI, in step 13, you can pick TTW instead of New Vegas' Icon)

Among the team members, Grib uses a ryzen computer too AFAIK, but not sure he's still a team member.

I'm not sure if it's helpful but...
Is your chipset and BIOS up to date?

Himself

Post by Himself » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:52 pm

idmfan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am
I use a Ryzen computer (the x570 and 2700) too, followed this text guide and the game seems to work.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LEB ... ypHpI/edit
(FYI, in step 13, you can pick TTW instead of New Vegas' Icon)
I remember to have messed with all NVSR values before, but will try the ones mentioned there (step 34) as soon as I'm able, and come back here to EDIT a report.

EDIT: Yep, BIOS updates and NVSR at specified values, game still freezes.
I'm not sure if it's helpful but...
Is your chipset and BIOS up to date?
Chipset should be up to date, changed the SSD last month and reinstalled everything.
Did a BIOS update this year, but checking now, new versions came out. Will update and test along with the NVSR values.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Even if it doesn't works, it is incentive for me to keep trying! :)
Last edited by Himself on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlf65

Post by jlf65 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 pm

If you use NVSR, try using NVTF (Tick Fix) instead. NVSR can be unstable under W10 under various conditions, causing lockups in about 10 minutes. I had that same problem on W10 until getting rid of NVSR.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Does the freeze take down your entire machine or is it just the game that crashes? If your entire machine crashes I'd look at the ram.

Himself

Post by Himself » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Does the freeze take down your entire machine or is it just the game that crashes? If your entire machine crashes I'd look at the ram.
Just the game, altough the freeeze stops everything behind the frozen image of the game from displaying properly.
Windows key, taskbar and ctrl+alt+del still work, so in worst cases, need to leave current user open and log on another to properly terminate the .exe in task manager.
If you use NVSR, try using NVTF (Tick Fix) instead. NVSR can be unstable under W10 under various conditions, causing lockups in about 10 minutes. I had that same problem on W10 until getting rid of NVSR.
Already tried the tick fix too.
I started with a megamod install, then noticed the freeze and went to taking down mods until I was with barely nothing, but freeze still happened.
Then did a clean install with TTW + JIP LN NVSE, still needed a loader to sort plugin order, mainly used MO2 (with all necessary ini edits), but also tried FOMM and even the Data option at FalloutNVLauncher.exe
I got like "WTF this is not supposed to happen!!" when just a barebones TTW still caused the freeze, then I started trying everything, I mean REALLY everything that I could find ^^
Used to play on an older win7 computer 2+ years ago, first time installing the games in this one. I tested both for a while to check if the issue was present, and both seemed ok, no freeze, just after TTW it comes to life.

My last attempt was a win7 (wasn't easy setting an up to date win7 here, let me tell you), drivers ok, c++ runtimes ok, directx ok. Was so sure this was gonna let me play, but NAY! Freeze. Then tried to force the game to run DirectX9 instead of 11, but again, the freeze.

Came here as a last resort because it truly appears to be something beyond my capabilites.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:10 am

What happens if you disable Ryzen's auto overclocking? And what about assigning FalloutNV.exe to a single CCX?

GreyBeard00

Post by GreyBeard00 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:03 am

Maybe 4GB fix isn't loading? Try getislaa from console, should be 2.
Are you running from FalloutNV.exe? TTW patches exe to autoload NVSE.

idmfan

Post by idmfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 am

FiftyTifty wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:10 am
What happens if you disable Ryzen's auto overclocking? And what about assigning FalloutNV.exe to a single CCX?
how do I assign an exe to a single CCX? should I use Ryzen Master to do that? (I refrain from using it because it once messed up my b450 mobo)
should I also assign 64-bit games to a single CCX, too?

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:40 pm

idmfan wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 am

how do I assign an exe to a single CCX? should I use Ryzen Master to do that? (I refrain from using it because it once messed up my b450 mobo)
should I also assign 64-bit games to a single CCX, too?
Ryzen has multiple CCX units, which are individual core clusters. Games that don't heavily use more than the number of threads present on one CCX, should be assigned to a single CCX. You can do this with Process Lasso.