TTW update can't find TTW files

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
J0ESK0

Re: TTW update can't find TTW files

Post by J0ESK0 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 pm

Styrud wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Hi! I'm trying to update to 3.2.1 but when I'm using the installer as instructed in the readme, I get an error message saying "Could not find Tales of Two Wasteland files at the specified path". I picked the folder where I installed TTW and doubled checked the folder to make sure the files where there, and they're there.

Is this the wrong folder or did I make some mistake along the way? I would really like some help if possible.
I'm having this issue as well. When I first installed TTW, I created a different output folder for TTW then the default one. And when trying to update, I am choosing this same folder. Is that correct? Or do I choose the GOG Galaxy\Games\FNV\Data folder which is the default?

J0ESK0

Post by J0ESK0 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Just to be clear..

When I installed TTW 3.2 my output folder was:

C:\Games\Mods\FalloutNV\mods\Tale of Two Wastelands

So when I run the update to 3.2.1 this is the same folder I am choosing. However, I am getting the same error that TTW files cannot be found.

Here is a snip showing what my folder looks like with the TTW files showing:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Aov4pybo3skEQW36

What am I doing wrong? And yes I AM RUNNING THE UPDATE AS ADMIN and made sure to install the proper C++ files that are required.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am

Try rerunning the installer after setting the directories.

J0ESK0

Post by J0ESK0 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:38 am

RoyBatty wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am
Try rerunning the installer after setting the directories.
I found out the problem...I didn't change the second directory as I just figured it was set like the initial install and only changed the 3rd option of the installer. After I carefully read the installer/update directories instructions, it made perfect sense...I changed both the 2nd and the 3rd directories and it installed without a hitch.

Sorry for the noob posts. :shock:

J0ESK0

Post by J0ESK0 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:50 am

This is sort of off topic but related...

I did what the update FAQ suggested and installed the 3.2.1 update to a new folder titled accordingly. When using MO2 do I put 3.2 at the top of the mod list followed by 3.2.1 or vice versa? Currently I have MO2 set up as follows:

1. TTW 3.2
2. TTW 3.2.1

And the rest of my mods follow below. I just want to make sure the updates are being applied correctly.

RoyBatty

Post by RoyBatty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 am

That is correct.

comatosedragon

Post by comatosedragon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 am

I just wanted to say (and I hope this helps someone): I had the problem of the update saying it could not find the TTW files also. After a minute or two of checking my installation folders, I noticed that the original TTW install made the folder it installed itself into "Read Only". Don't know why it does this (maybe normal behavior to prevent accidental overwrites); but after removing the "Read Only" attribute of the install folder, the update worked like a charm.

Again, hope this helps someone.

Peter Curtin

Post by Peter Curtin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 am

Thanks very much for the "read-only" tip. Seems obvious to check after I saw your post, but that was my problem.

Futertimer

Post by Futertimer » Sat May 25, 2019 6:07 am

comatosedragon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 am
I just wanted to say (and I hope this helps someone): I had the problem of the update saying it could not find the TTW files also. After a minute or two of checking my installation folders, I noticed that the original TTW install made the folder it installed itself into "Read Only". Don't know why it does this (maybe normal behavior to prevent accidental overwrites); but after removing the "Read Only" attribute of the install folder, the update worked like a charm.

Again, hope this helps someone.
well you did help someone, meee. was stumped for a few hours until i finally found your comment. thank you very much

yamia

Post by yamia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:23 pm

So, really people, read carefully each directory. The first is your Game location (in my case G drive), the second is where you installed TTW (this time C drive for me- in the MO2 mods folder - in a new folder which I called TTW) and the third is where you want to install the update (C drive-MO2 mods folder - new folder TTWv3_1).

I know I am repeating what has already been clearly stated, but after reading then re-reading (many times) the instructions and failing for a while, I realized I was either way too vastly intelligent to follow simple commands, or something quite the contrary..... :roll: