Odd 7-Zip/unpacking issue

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
hemi

Odd 7-Zip/unpacking issue

Post by hemi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

So I finally got TTW going, but it was a headache. On my Win10/64 box, I usually use 7-Zip through the right-click menu, but I found that if I right-click, hover over 7-Zip, and select "extract files" or "extract to <dirname>" or similar, I get a broken mess of files. I get warnings about needing to replace files with other files nested in resource/blah/blah... and so on, and the net result is the same whether or not I allow replacement. However, if I actually fire up the 7-Zip GUI and open the archive, I can then basically copy things out of the archive in the right file structure and can proceed from there. Tested with three out of four of the TTW download links, so it appears to be a consistent problem.

Is there a known issue with how the .7z is constructed for TTW?

Another data point: I moved the .7z to my FreeBSD file server and unpacked it there. Examining the archive using the command-line 7z tool, everything looks right...But if I extract it, it results in the same broken mess.

Risewild

Can't say that the TTW

Post by Risewild » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Can't say that the TTW archive ever had any problem like that. It is that exact same one for several years now and no one ever reported that problem. I even just downloaded the file from the first link in the Install page, right clicked on the archive, selected: Extract to "taleoftwowastelands2.9.4b" and it worked without a problem, I got the files perfectly.

I am also using Windows 10 x64 (Home Edition). I used the more recent Beta version of 7Zip (version 17.01 beta x64), if that helps.

RoyBatty

Don't use 7zip from windows

Post by RoyBatty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Don't use 7zip from windows app store, download the real thing.

There's nothing wrong with the archive, 100k+ people enjoy the current version of TTW so it's on your end.

GrantSP

Yeah something is messed up

Post by GrantSP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Yeah something is messed up with your 7Zip installation.

jlf65

Also, if you're going to mess

Post by jlf65 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Also, if you're going to mess with files at that level, I recommend Total Commander. It's a far better file manager than anything stock Windows allows. It's the very FIRST thing I install any time I'm reinstalling Windows (or setting up a new system). The second thing is 7zip (from the 7zip site - as mentioned, don't use the Windows app store version). Once you have Total Commander with 7zip setup, anything else is child's play to handle, no matter the format.

GrantSP

Without derailing the topic

Post by GrantSP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Without derailing the topic too much, if you don't want to pay for the excellent Total Commander I use an alternative free manager that is just as good (subjective opinion) as it, MultiCommander.

hemi

Yeah, I suspected my 7-Zip--

Post by hemi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Yeah, I suspected my 7-Zip---it was a few months old---so I grabbed the latest version. Same weird issue. I suppose I'll blow everything 7-Zip away and try from scratch again later.

jlf65

GrantSP wrote:Without

Post by jlf65 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 am

[quote=GrantSP]Without derailing the topic too much, if you don't want to pay for the excellent Total Commander I use an alternative free manager that is just as good (subjective opinion) as it, MultiCommander.

[/quote]

Hmm - that does look good. I'm going to try it out! Thanks - I'm always interested if something better comes along.

hemi

Yeap, I was "doing it wrong."

Post by hemi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 am

Yeap, I was "doing it wrong." When using "Extract files..." I had my Path mode set to 'No pathnames' instead of 'Full pathnames'. I suspect I changed this for some reason previously, but it bit me here. Thanks again, and sorry for wasting folks' time.

Now, back to seeing if I can get Moriarty's unbugged...