FPS Stuttering

General help and technical troubleshooting. Ask for help here if you can't find an answer in the FAQ.
Jmsborland97

Re: FPS Stuttering

Post by Jmsborland97 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm

The in game AA is more than enough for me, I play at 1440p with only 4 samples of AA and I don't get any aliasing. Can you get ENBoost to work with in game AA? everyone told me to set it to Application controlled, but for some reason I can't get any AA to work, except for in game AA. ENBoost also made my game stutter even more, like Roy said it just stutters when I turn instead.

Postal-Dude

Post by Postal-Dude » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Jmsborland97 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm
The in game AA is more than enough for me, I play at 1440p with only 4 samples of AA and I don't get any aliasing. Can you get ENBoost to work with in game AA? everyone told me to set it to Application controlled, but for some reason I can't get any AA to work, except for in game AA. ENBoost also made my game stutter even more, like Roy said it just stutters when I turn instead.
You have to disable all graphics effects. There is a ini line for that in the ENBlocal ini. UseENBoostWithoutGraphics=true. Ingame AA should work then. If not you can still go with SGSSAA. In Nvidia Inspector you have to set the AA compability bit to 0x0000F0C1. And then select override any ingame AA, 4x Multisampling, 4x Sparse Grid Supersample.

I dont have any stutters when I turn. No idea what that could be. Either wrongly setup ENB or some mod conflicting and/or missing. Do you use NVTF? Stutter Remover is outdated. But I use many things so its difficult to tell you what might be it or fix it.

Jmsborland97

Post by Jmsborland97 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:49 pm

Postal-Dude wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 pm
Jmsborland97 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm
You have to disable all graphics effects. There is a ini line for that in the ENBlocal ini. UseENBoostWithoutGraphics=true. Ingame AA should work then. If not you can still go with SGSSAA. In Nvidia Inspector you have to set the AA compability bit to 0x0000F0C1. And then select override any ingame AA, 4x Multisampling, 4x Sparse Grid Supersample.

I dont have any stutters when I turn. No idea what that could be. Either wrongly setup ENB or some mod conflicting and/or missing. Do you use NVTF? Stutter Remover is outdated. But I use many things so its difficult to tell you what might be it or fix it.
No I don't use NVSR, i'll look into it more when I get a chance and configure ENBlocal.ini to my specs and hopefully i'll see an improvement

Postal-Dude

Post by Postal-Dude » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 pm

I take back what I said about the Anti Aliasing. SGSSAA isnt the best. I was playing around and got much better results with using ENBBoosts AA named Edge AA and Accumulative AA. This actually enhances the ingame AA on top and looks even better than SGSSAA. Also it runs way more performant! Some locations with 60FPS now have 100.

I thought it might disable all the ingame AA but it doesn't at all and looks way better on transparent objects. I notice even less aliasing than with SGSSAA.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:08 am

Has the Edge AA been improved? It was absolutely tragic the last time I tried to use it (maybe 2 years ago.) Worst software AA solution I've used in years. Scrapping the ENB and forcing AA in the driver was always better. That went for every hardware configuration I tested it on.

Postal-Dude

Post by Postal-Dude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm

I thought so too but I can definitely say that it looks really great. I am playing at 2560x1080 (21:9) with 4x MSAA and Transparency Multisampling + Unlocked the FPS for 144hz with NVTF. On top of that I use ENBBoost to fix my running out of Ram problems and now activated both AA options that are in the ENBLocal.ini. Named Edge AA and Accumulative AA. I can say that it looks WAY better than just the ingame AA settings and also better than SGSSAA over Nvidia Inspector. In fact I have a hard time to notice any Aliasing at all, which is definitely the best result I have had so far, aside of maybe DSR but this introduces many other problems beside of that fact that it is really demanding.

I didn't bother with the ENB AA before because I thought it counts as "Effect" and disables ingame AA but it doesn't. At least the AA options in the ENBLocal.ini, there are also sepererate SMAA ones in the main effect ini but I do not use any of the graphical tweaks. The ENBLocal ones seem to work together with the ingame AA and it works and looks great, to my surprise. Definitely better than with SGSSAA, it keeps the Engines rough rendering aesthetics but almost completely removes any aliasing left, which was mostly aliasing from transparent objects such as destroyed buldings in DC. I checked multiple times to make sure I am not imagining things or having placebo but those 2 AA options Edge AA and Accumulative AA work and look great. I even have way better performance than with SGSSAA.

I think I also remember that in old ENB versions it didnt work that great. In fact I never was a big fan of ENB anyway. Originally I used it to bypass these 32Bit Ram limits since even with the 4GB patch I run out of ram because of having all ingame textures upscaled 2x - 4x on top of NMC, looks even better than FO4 now, lol.

I really wonder what AA is this Edge AA and Accumulative AA. I assumed its just shaders like FXAA but it doesnt look like that AT ALL. Really wonder what AA technique is hidden behind these names. Would guess Supersampling but dunno, looks so at least. I can really encourage everyone to try it out. Best look and performance I have achieved so far.

FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:08 pm

FXAA Is a terrible post-processing shader. SMAA is much better, and has different variants that are much improved over base SMAA. The AA shaders in ENB are of Boris' own design, and have always been solid. I've been using it since ENB versions back in the mid-100's.

ENBoost is different from ENBSeries. ENBoost doesn't replace the game's shaders, so that'll be why it's compatible with the vanilla game's AA methods.

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:31 am

I wouldn't call it solid. I posted screenshots around here somewhere from Edge AA a few years ago and it was terrible. Particularly on the edges of armor and clothing. But whatever, I'm not going to argue about it because I don't really care. I'm going to go back to cataloging my Blu-rays.